Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stclair
    • By stclair 8th May 18, 3:17 PM
    • 6,503Posts
    • 3,445Thanks
    stclair
    Asda Pay Pumps
    • 8th May 18, 3:17 PM
    Asda Pay Pumps 8th May 18 at 3:17 PM
    I couldnít see itís been covered already but this is an interesting article.

Asda taking a £99.00 pre authorisation hold when you use a pay pump.

https://dailym.ai/2I03pOj
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
Page 3
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 10th May 18, 5:01 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Asda didn't give-up on this pilot pet project because they couldn't adequately inform customers of the change (or because customers had not read the small print), it's because it would 'risk harming [their] customers' trust in [them].
    • 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 11th May 18, 4:10 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    2e0arr
    why isn't the customer (always right ), informed about the pre authorisation please ?
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 11th May 18, 8:41 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Visa has said this about the pre-authorisation charge:
    The way that pay-at-pump fuel payments are treated has been standardised across the industry to ensure security for individual cardholders, retailers and card issuers.
    Rubbish!, more like 'security' of the retailers and card issuers. What happens if the customer has £120 to last till payday coming up in two days. She puts £20 petrol in. She will have £1 to survive until payday two days away.

Great security! (more like let us p**s on you a bit more and tell you it's raining)
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 11th May 18, 4:57 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    eschaton
    Mostly true (albeit unmanned pumps are becoming more commonplace, as per post #11 above), but you could obviously have chosen to respond along those lines before if that's the (different) point you'd wanted to make....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    I would say it's 99% true if not more. In this country most of the unmanned pumps will be Costco and Asda and I'll guarantee that all of these sites have at least one manned competitor nearby.

As much as it may have been a different point, I still stand by my first point. If you're having the expense of properly running a car then £99 shouldn't be critical.

What happens when you have the expense of a new tyre with no warning, and need £200 to replace it as I had last month? Stop driving your car as you can't afford to maintain it?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 11th May 18, 5:37 PM
    • 8,743 Posts
    • 10,000 Thanks
    eskbanker
    As much as it may have been a different point, I still stand by my first point. If you're having the expense of properly running a car then £99 shouldn't be critical.

What happens when you have the expense of a new tyre with no warning, and need £200 to replace it as I had last month? Stop driving your car as you can't afford to maintain it?
    Originally posted by eschaton
    I suspect there's not much more mileage in this (lol) but clearly there's a difference between occasional lumpy maintenance costs and routine fuel spend being effectively inflated (even if temporarily), so in terms of your original question of "who cares if it's £99?" the answer is obviously "lots of people" - just look at the tone of the comments in the article linked from post #43 above yours....
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 11th May 18, 5:50 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    eschaton
    I suspect there's not much more mileage in this (lol) but clearly there's a difference between occasional lumpy maintenance costs and routine fuel spend being effectively inflated (even if temporarily), so in terms of your original question of "who cares if it's £99?" the answer is obviously "lots of people" - just look at the tone of the comments in the article linked from post #43 above yours....
    Very little mileage left, I agree.

But I would guess that there's probably more people not bothered than bothered.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 12th May 18, 2:35 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    OceanSound
    That asda eh!, what are they like? always trying to appease those few customers not bothered.

Those irresponsible (skint) customers always trying to fill up more than what they can afford. Asda should have kept this policy. At least it would have kept the riff raff out of our roads eh? Can't afford a full tank+ of petrol? On yer bike pal. This is Britain, where the rich rule, and the rest peddle to work. Now!, chop! chop!. Those scones won't bake themselves you know.
    Last edited by OceanSound; 12-05-2018 at 4:07 AM.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 12th May 18, 8:52 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Nice - let them eat cake, eh?

That was a crass and unnecessary comment you made - there are many people for whom routine (and arguably unnecessary) reservation of £99 from available funds is indeed a big issue, of course especially so if they have other cashflow problems to contend with, so it wouldn't surprise me if some found your sneering remark offensive or insensitive....
    No one is making anyone use pay at pump. Plenty of alternatives.
    Originally posted by eschaton
    Mostly true (albeit unmanned pumps are becoming more commonplace, as per post #11 above), but you could obviously have chosen to respond along those lines before if that's the (different) point you'd wanted to make....
    Talking of cake:
    Paying for petrol in store leaves you open to the temptation of buying chocolates and sweets, one of the countryís leading obesity experts has said.
    • Kernel Sanders
    • By Kernel Sanders 14th May 18, 9:02 PM
    • 3,344 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    Kernel Sanders
    BTW, you've been on this forum long enough to know that short urls are banned.
    Originally posted by AirlieBird
    Well I didn't know that either. How were we informed?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

498Posts Today

4,368Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Follow Martin