Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Johnny_B
    • By Johnny_B 8th May 18, 2:37 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Johnny_B
    Total noob, PPI query
    • 8th May 18, 2:37 PM
    Total noob, PPI query 8th May 18 at 2:37 PM
    Eh up.

I'm not convinced that I ever had PPI for loans, credit cards or mortgages...if I did, I certainly didn't take it out knowingly.

However, I have NO IDEA who I have had cards and loans with from 5 years ago and older (I tended to take a credit card with a 0% period and then do the 0% balance transfer thing and cancel/cut up the old cards) so I have no idea where to start looking.

There have been several companies advertising on the radio who claim that they can actually chase all of that up without any paperwork from me.

Frankly I'm tempted; 70% of something is bigger than 100% of nowt.

So, questions:

1. Is there a way to find out who I borrowed from and if they missold me PPI dating back say...20 years? I tried the MSE Credit Club but my report only goes back five or six years.

2. If there isn't...does anyone know a good (comparative term, I know) claims company I can use...like I said, I'd rather have 70% of something than 100% of nothing.

I have read through a few threads on the use of claims companies and all of them have descended into name calling and arguing...if you can be kind and just answer the questions I've asked, that would be really really appreciated.

Thanks all!
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th May 18, 2:40 PM
    • 20,637 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 8th May 18, 2:40 PM
    • 8th May 18, 2:40 PM
    There will be no claim company recommendations here. If any do appear, they are spam.
    • Johnny_B
    • By Johnny_B 8th May 18, 2:41 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Johnny_B
    • 8th May 18, 2:41 PM
    • 8th May 18, 2:41 PM
    There will be no claim company recommendations here. If any do appear, they are spam.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    ...and in answer to the first question?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th May 18, 2:43 PM
    • 17,773 Posts
    • 18,879 Thanks
    zx81
    • 8th May 18, 2:43 PM
    • 8th May 18, 2:43 PM
    Your credit files show the last 6 years.

The rest is in your head or your filing.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th May 18, 2:48 PM
    • 20,637 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 8th May 18, 2:48 PM
    • 8th May 18, 2:48 PM
    ...and in answer to the first question?
    Originally posted by Johnny_B
    You could write to all the major lenders enquiring if you ever had PPI with them. They are unlikely to have records going back more than six years though..

No claim company can do any more than this..
    • Johnny_B
    • By Johnny_B 8th May 18, 3:12 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Johnny_B
    • 8th May 18, 3:12 PM
    • 8th May 18, 3:12 PM
    You could write to all the major lenders enquiring if you ever had PPI with them. They are unlikely to have records going back more than six years though..

No claim company can do any more than this..
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Ah, given my dodgy memory and lack of paperwork it looks like a non-starter then. Well, if nothing else you've saved me some time! Cheers!
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 8th May 18, 3:47 PM
    • 4,952 Posts
    • 3,002 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 8th May 18, 3:47 PM
    • 8th May 18, 3:47 PM
    Claims companies tell lies, there is no information database on who had products / PPI etc they just ask you to remember and try and write to everyone with the same template and hope something sticks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,828Posts Today

7,275Users online

Martin's Twitter