Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Matt19849
    • By Matt19849 8th May 18, 11:03 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Matt19849
    Advice on new patio
    • 8th May 18, 11:03 AM
    Advice on new patio 8th May 18 at 11:03 AM
    Hi,

I am currently digging out 46m2 for our new patio and have a couple of questions I was hoping to find answers to
    • I was looking at a 50mm sub base of Type 1, is there a difference between Type 1 Limestone or Type 1 concrete or should I be looking at something else?
    • Because this patio is up against our house I'm very reluctant to use a vibrating wacker plate because we have a 650 litre aquarium against the wall and can't risk that cracking from the vibrations. Would a manual type wacker plate or roller (the ones you put water in) work just as well?
    • We are going with 20mm thick porcelain slabs, has anyone had any experience with Eterno Ivica Star.T Thin Pedestal Paving Support Pad or anything similar?
      (I would post a link but i'm a new user and not allowed sorry!

Cheers
    Last edited by Matt19849; 08-05-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Page 2
    • Matt19849
    • By Matt19849 9th May 18, 7:18 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Matt19849
    We chose porcelain as our first option because it was the colour / finish we wanted. We then had quotes back and basically (steering clear of the plastic support system) were advised you need to lay the slabs a bit like you were laying them inside, so putting down a concrete base / floor then applying the slabs on top like tiling a floor (that's a very rough method overview) The quotes came back as expensive because it is in effect more like laying two patios with the two step process (the concrete base which needs to be level - and dry, then the slabs)

We were, by in large talked out of using porcelain by the contractor we chose who could do other aspects of the job other contractors couldn't but he had never laid porcelain before, wasn't overly happy doing it and it was looking very costly - so we went with sandstone as giving a similar look / finish to what we wanted.

Overall the sandstone slabs do look good - but knowing what we know now, we would not be led by a contractor like that again and in hindsight, should have gone with the company happy to lay our original choice.

Incidentally I tried the particular porcelain slabs outside at the showroom on a wet day with Ugg boots on ... the ones we tried were definitely not slippy.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Thanks for this, the ones we've been looking at are outdoor slabs and have the non slip surface to them so in theory they shouldn't be slippy at all. We have porcelain tiles in our walk in shower and they aren't slippy in the slightest when wet.

Do you remember the thickness of the porcelain you were looking at? The ones we are considering are 20mm thick, i'm wondering if it would be the same process for laying them (level concrete base etc)
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th May 18, 7:23 PM
    • 7,616 Posts
    • 52,276 Thanks
    kerri gt
    I think the ones we looked at were 20mm I recall. I think that is pretty standard for porcelain exterior slabs.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,480Posts Today

7,052Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Follow Martin