Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jsdhs
    • By jsdhs 8th May 18, 11:03 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jsdhs
    Health and Safety Obligations
    • 8th May 18, 11:03 AM
    Health and Safety Obligations 8th May 18 at 11:03 AM
    Hi,

I have two properties currently requiring external decoration. My rental agent has supplied quotations which I am happy with.

What is my role regarding the health and safety of the contractors, their employees and the public.

Thanks

Jonathan
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 8th May 18, 11:07 AM
    • 9,062 Posts
    • 9,648 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 8th May 18, 11:07 AM
    • 8th May 18, 11:07 AM
    No different from those of an owner-occupier. Almost wholly a matter for the contractors, other than I suppose pointing out to them any unusual hazards you're aware of. Obviously make sure any tenants are aware that there's work being done.
    • essjae
    • By essjae 8th May 18, 11:29 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    essjae
    • 8th May 18, 11:29 AM
    • 8th May 18, 11:29 AM
    Off the top of my head....

Provide your contractors with information about any site hazards (this might include any known asbestos containing material, locations of drains / areas of soft ground etc)

Choose reputable contractors - ask for evidence of relevant qualifications (eg PASMA cards if they are going to be erecting scaffolding).

Review the risk assessment and method statements that your contractors write for the work, to check they have covered any reasonably foreseeable risks (you don't have to be an expert, this is a common-sense check).

Carry out monitoring of your contractors - check they are sticking to their method statement and not doing anything unsafe.

Have a look at the HSE website - loads of information there.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 8th May 18, 8:12 PM
    • 45,849 Posts
    • 55,316 Thanks
    G_M
    • 8th May 18, 8:12 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:12 PM
    and make sure the contractors have public liability insurance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,574Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin