Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • the skiing bear
    • By the skiing bear 8th May 18, 10:58 AM
    • 31Posts
    • 3Thanks
    the skiing bear
    0 WOW
    Booking.com - communication fiasco
    • 8th May 18, 10:58 AM
    0 WOW
    Booking.com - communication fiasco 8th May 18 at 10:58 AM
    I hope someone can help me with this as I have found differing opinions on cancelling a non refundable room. I made a booking last Nov for 2 rooms with booking.com for a trip this mid July . At the time of the booking I booked 2 bed and a 1 bed. When i received the booking confirmation I noticed the 1 bed was non refundable (703 euros)- as it turns out the refundable rate and non refundable rate were very similar so I didnt clock that i had selected the wrong booking option. But admit - my bad.

Within minutes I called booking.com. They told me not to worry they would contact the hotel. They did but the hotel didn't pick up the phone. So they said to give it 48 hours. 4 days went by so i called booking.com again and they said they would try again and if the hotel didn't respond within 48 hours they would override the booking. More days when by, I chased and was eventually told the hotel was seasonal and that booking.com couldn't override the booking without contacting the hotel to get the OK.

Lots more phone calls and emails over the coming months and finally in April i notice the hotel is taking bookings for the end of April, so they are operational. Back on the phone to booking.com to get them to make contact. They did and told me the hotel receptionist thought it would be Ok and they thought so to but said the hotel would email me to let me know. More days pass, no email. Back on the phone to booking.com. More reassurances that it was most likely just an admin issue at the hotel and not to worry. They agree the hotel is full on the dates I booked so they have suffered no financial loss, shouldn't be a problem and not to be concerned. This is a very popular hotel in a very popular resort.

Yesterday after chasing again on Friday, I receive en email via booking.com saying the hotel refuse to waiver the cancellation fee of 703 euros....

I have called the hotel directly to try and negotiate, making the point they have suffered no loss. They refuse to agree to waiver the fees'. As yet my Amex has not been debited but expect they will do that when the booking date arrives.

Any suggestions please?

Thank you
Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th May 18, 12:28 PM
    • 4,833 Posts
    • 3,620 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 8th May 18, 12:28 PM
    • 8th May 18, 12:28 PM
    Do you intend to go on the holiday?

In that case it won't matter it is non refundable and you have got the room at a cheaper rate.
    • the skiing bear
    • By the skiing bear 8th May 18, 8:12 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    the skiing bear
    • 8th May 18, 8:12 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:12 PM
    We aren't able to going on the holiday this is why non refundable rooms were booked in the first place in case we had to cancel. Ironically the difference between the refundable rate and the non refundable rate was peanuts but now due to user error we are potentially going to be stung with a cancellation fee of 700 euros - the full amount. This is despite the hotel having resold the room (its full already for July- for the dates we booked) and they therefore haven't suffered any financial losses.
    Last edited by the skiing bear; 08-05-2018 at 8:15 PM. Reason: typo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,447Posts Today

8,165Users online

Martin's Twitter