Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ViktorOnopko
    • By ViktorOnopko 8th May 18, 10:36 AM
    • 97Posts
    • 201Thanks
    ViktorOnopko
    Managing Loose Change
    • 8th May 18, 10:36 AM
    Managing Loose Change 8th May 18 at 10:36 AM
    How do you folks deal with the loose change that comes back in to your house on a regular basis? There must be some clever ways of managing it on here :-)

We tend to drop it all in a bowl and change it when that bowl overflows but I'd love a better way of organising it.
Page 2
    • jamesperrett
    • By jamesperrett 10th May 18, 12:46 AM
    • 824 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    jamesperrett
    Y
    In the 'good old days' the first thing you were taught in M&S was to start at the selling price and put the coins into the customer's hand adding them up as you went until you reached the sum offered. That's the way you also learned you had given change for 5 rather than the customer's 10. Oops- time to call the supervisor to open the till.
    Originally posted by Katiehound
    When I worked in a shop I was told to only put the notes in the right place in the till after I'd counted out the change. That way, if there was any dispute about what sort of note had been used, the note itself would still be available to check.
    • ashteadgirl
    • By ashteadgirl 10th May 18, 10:07 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    ashteadgirl
    When I worked in a shop I was told to only put the notes in the right place in the till after I'd counted out the change. That way, if there was any dispute about what sort of note had been used, the note itself would still be available to check.
    Originally posted by jamesperrett
    Absolutely correct - then can easily see denomination of note given. That was how i was taught to do it years ago
    • ViktorOnopko
    • By ViktorOnopko 10th May 18, 11:43 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    ViktorOnopko
    Thanks all - some good ideas! I hate carrying change around with me so it's often left on the side at home. I might put a little pot in my car and transfer the 1/2 there and stick the rest in a jar for a holiday spending fund.
    • Anonymous101
    • By Anonymous101 10th May 18, 12:11 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 553 Thanks
    Anonymous101
    Big coin jar, throw it all in there. Have a counting party once a year and put it in the little plastic coin bags before taking it to the bank and depositing it in our savings account.

• dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 10th May 18, 1:17 PM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 2,989 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    Thanks all - some good ideas! I hate carrying change around with me so it's often left on the side at home. I might put a little pot in my car and transfer the 1/2 there and stick the rest in a jar for a holiday spending fund.
    Originally posted by ViktorOnopko
    My mum does this and it drives me mad so we started having coin pots and chuck it all in all year and it normally pays for Christmas at the end
    roll on end of April 2019 *9 done* = *31 to go*
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 10th May 18, 5:56 PM
    • 4,472 Posts
    • 38,944 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Originally posted by jamesperrett
    Yes, I'm sure that's what I was told before I 'moved up' to M&S! (They were the place to get a Saturday job!) However sometimes the till got closed before the customer had all their change, that's when the supervisor was called......another impatient assisstant trying to cash up their sale perhaps ? Worst of all was having to cash up the till and count it all when a customer disputed their change...
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..4366cc+.2415mm (2.41.5) + RK 5.33
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 10th May 18, 5:58 PM
    • 4,472 Posts
    • 38,944 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Handy to keep at least 5 of change in the car- for car parks and the like, or dashing into the market as I did yesterday and had forgotten to take my handbag.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..4366cc+.2415mm (2.41.5) + RK 5.33
    • pepper77
    • By pepper77 10th May 18, 8:02 PM
    • 2,666 Posts
    • 7,602 Thanks
    pepper77
    Big coin jar, throw it all in there. Have a counting party once a year and put it in the little plastic coin bags before taking it to the bank and depositing it in our savings account.

Originally posted by Anonymous101
    I used to do that in a gallon whisky jar, when I emptied it the silver came to a tidy sum, frankly 20 odd worth of copper wasnt worth the effort of counting, bagging, and paying in..
    So for years copper goes into any charity box.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,519Posts Today

7,001Users online

Martin's Twitter