Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ViktorOnopko
    • By ViktorOnopko 8th May 18, 10:36 AM
    • 98Posts
    • 201Thanks
    ViktorOnopko
    Managing Loose Change
    • 8th May 18, 10:36 AM
    Managing Loose Change 8th May 18 at 10:36 AM
    How do you folks deal with the loose change that comes back in to your house on a regular basis? There must be some clever ways of managing it on here :-)

We tend to drop it all in a bowl and change it when that bowl overflows but I'd love a better way of organising it.
Page 1
    • ChesterDog
    • By ChesterDog 8th May 18, 10:40 AM
    • 889 Posts
    • 1,670 Thanks
    ChesterDog
    • 8th May 18, 10:40 AM
    • 8th May 18, 10:40 AM
    I take mine out with me when I go to the local Co-op and shovel it into the self-service checkout when paying.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
    • AimHigh
    • By AimHigh 8th May 18, 10:42 AM
    • 130 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    AimHigh
    • 8th May 18, 10:42 AM
    • 8th May 18, 10:42 AM
    Whack some in your glovebox to pay for car parks that haven't been updated for 30 years
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 8th May 18, 1:44 PM
    • 12,819 Posts
    • 11,545 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 8th May 18, 1:44 PM
    • 8th May 18, 1:44 PM
    I spend it. I'm not really aware of this concept of lots of loose change. I tend to pay by card or contactless so very rarely have much cash about.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • planteria
    • By planteria 8th May 18, 1:57 PM
    • 5,027 Posts
    • 1,116 Thanks
    planteria
    • 8th May 18, 1:57 PM
    • 8th May 18, 1:57 PM
    same here jimjames. colleagues pile it into a container and I tend to weigh it in with 1 bags.
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 8th May 18, 3:15 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    TBC15
    • 8th May 18, 3:15 PM
    • 8th May 18, 3:15 PM
    I'm married so don't have loose change. Most days are a cross between a security check and a mugging.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 8th May 18, 3:42 PM
    • 9,960 Posts
    • 10,244 Thanks
    Linton
    • 8th May 18, 3:42 PM
    • 8th May 18, 3:42 PM
    Keep the 10ps, 20ps and 50ps. Our local town carparks want 80p/hour which makes change a real hassle. 1 and 2 ps go in a charity box.
    • firestone
    • By firestone 8th May 18, 5:18 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    firestone
    • 8th May 18, 5:18 PM
    • 8th May 18, 5:18 PM
    I'm married so don't have loose change. Most days are a cross between a security check and a mugging.
    Originally posted by TBC15
    Please no talk of foreplay before the watershed
    • lpgm
    • By lpgm 8th May 18, 5:26 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    lpgm
    • 8th May 18, 5:26 PM
    • 8th May 18, 5:26 PM
    I don't think of it as loose change. Cash is cash.
    • HeyG
    • By HeyG 8th May 18, 5:33 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    HeyG
    Get a coin jar and just throw it all in there, it really all adds up. I've got one and I throw in coppers and silvers. Cashed it up and put it towards Christmas shopping - it was almost 70!
    • zerog
    • By zerog 8th May 18, 6:57 PM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    zerog
    In the places where I still use cash, I spend coins normally and don't understand why most people are unable to.

Unless there's a specific reason you need to keep certain coins (e.g. buses that don't give change, coin laundrette) or a shop has run out of fivers, you should never have more than 9 in coins.

Suppose something costs 3.62 but you have less than 3 of coins.

If you have 62p, pay 5.62 and get 2 change instead of 1.38. Or pay 10.62 or 20.62 if you really have to.

If you don't have 62p, but you do have 2p, then pay 5.02, getting rid of 2p is better than getting another 8p.

Instead, some people seem to have an aversion to spending coins.

Germans don't seem to have a problem with doing this.

In Japan, another advanced country where cash is still heavily used, many shops have a coin counter in their registers, even if it's not a self-checkout - so you just put all your coins on the tray and their machine will do everything for you, so you usually end up with the fewest possible number of coins in your wallet. This is also the case in Scandinavia, but cash usage in those countries has dropped and some places are card only.
    • 6022tivo
    • By 6022tivo 8th May 18, 7:04 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    6022tivo
    I pay with card, preferably contactless everywhere, so rarely have change
    • SG27
    • By SG27 8th May 18, 7:06 PM
    • 2,521 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    SG27
    I just spend it. I never have more than a few quid in change. Then when I go to shop just count out the exact amount. Or im going to 20 petrol in the car and ive got 2.34 in my pocket ill fill up to 22.34.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 8th May 18, 7:31 PM
    • 4,812 Posts
    • 6,328 Thanks
    ColdIron
    Suppose something costs 3.62 but you have less than 3 of coins.

If you have 62p, pay 5.62 and get 2 change instead of 1.38. Or pay 10.62 or 20.62 if you really have to.
    Originally posted by zerog
    I do this but you have to go through the following rigmarole every time
    1. Hand over 5.62
    2. Wait 5 seconds as they pause with wrinkled brow thinking 'what is this'?
    3. They ring it up anyway
    4. Wait another 5 seconds as they hesitantly hand back 2 wondering if you have diddled them
    'Making change' seems to be a lost skill these days
    • DollarPincher
    • By DollarPincher 9th May 18, 8:27 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DollarPincher
    My little sister takes all of my loose change aha
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 9th May 18, 9:12 PM
    • 4,509 Posts
    • 38,996 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Yes they struggle at the till if you have made it easier for them!
    Part of the problem is that the till works out the change.
    In the 'good old days' the first thing you were taught in M&S was to start at the selling price and put the coins into the customer's hand adding them up as you went until you reached the sum offered. That's the way you also learned you had given change for 5 rather than the customer's 10. Oops- time to call the supervisor to open the till. (Perhaps in the days I'm thinking of it was 1 rather than 5!)

I just spend change as I get it- contactless isn't accepted on the fruit & veg market stalls!

I can remember taking a bag of copper into a local bank and they were very 'iffy' about it- think I had to put the money into the account when really I just wanted larger denominations.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..6416cc+.2440mm (2.44) + RK 7.00
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 9th May 18, 9:27 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    First priority is to sift through change to find any commemorative 50p or 2 coins (back in the days of round pounds, I'd check them too). Any special designs go in my collection and any duplicates go on ebay.

Bulk change can be paid into Metro Bank coin machines, either into my savings or taken as cash (even non customers are welcome to swap coins for notes using the machines, although expect to have one of their really peppy members of staff all but hold your hand as you do so).
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • boliston
    • By boliston 9th May 18, 9:29 PM
    • 2,797 Posts
    • 2,380 Thanks
    boliston
    It is handy for buying a coffee
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 9th May 18, 11:36 PM
    • 16,662 Posts
    • 109,967 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Anything less than 50p used to go into Peefer Pig and when he was full I bagged it up and paid into a bank account via the PO. Then I went home, logged onto my bank account and paid it off the mortgage .

Now living in Spain, there's not really a culture of saving coins and quite often in supermarkets and always at markets they let you off with the odd cent or two . I still expect my full change back though .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • Plus
    • By Plus 9th May 18, 11:47 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    Plus
    Always pay with the smallest coins first. If something costs 3.62, first find 2p, then some silver to make 60p, then 3 in 50p/1/2 coins. Don't break 2 or notes unless you have to.

Usually my problem is not having enough coins, not too many.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,664Posts Today

7,115Users online

Martin's Twitter