Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 8th May 18, 9:56 AM
    • 921Posts
    • 640Thanks
    JennyP
    Migraine-free wannabe
    • 8th May 18, 9:56 AM
    Migraine-free wannabe 8th May 18 at 9:56 AM
    After a bad year of headaches (daily) and migraines (not as frequent but awful when they arrive) I am on a mission to be healthier and have less migraines. Wonder of there's anyone else with same problem who might join me?!!!

So far, I have gone cold turkey from codeine. Two weeks of being codeine free and it was far easier than expected. I stopped getting daily headaches almost immediately. So now just the migraines to tackle.

Now I am successfully off the codeine, I want my next goal to be losing weight. I read somewhere (but now can't find it) that losing weight can decrease the frequency of migraines. Have also read the opposite too - that it makes no difference. Think it'd be good for me to lose maybe 8 kilos anyway so that's a goal.

I also want to reduce my stress levels. Although I don't work anymore, I can get easily stressed over the smallest thing
    And I am trying more regular exercise - cycled 40km yesterday which is a first for me.

I get migraines towards the end of my period. Regular as clockwork - every 4 weeks to the day. Have read that iron tablets can help with that. Hubby (retired GP) is sceptical but I plan to buy some iron tablets this afternoon to see.
Page 2
    • GothicStirling
    • By GothicStirling 10th May 18, 5:31 PM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 772 Thanks
    GothicStirling
    I have the same trouble. When I first feel the niggle I have to get Ibruprofen in me, otherwise I end up vomiting and crawling into bed for hours. One thing I found good is Valerian (the Romans used this for migraines), found in herbal sleeping aids, apparently it opens the veins in the brain that cause the migraine. I have a family history of high blood pressure, but mine is textbook 123/74, so I wonder if my migraines are triggered when my blood pressure is raised.

My GP prescribed me Sumatriptan, which are miracle pills as far as I am concerned. But I ration their use to when a migraine threatens to paralyse me as you only get 6 pills per prescription, which I pay for.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 10th May 18, 5:33 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 8,430 Thanks
    Callie22
    I take Maxalt Melts for my migraines, but I also have a very strange but cheap and works for me 'medication' when I have an attack.... an Aldi Belgian Bun! One of these eaten with a cup of tea can stop a migraine developing too far, or I cut one up and nibble on it through the day when I have a migraine but no longer feel nauseous.
    Originally posted by BlondeHeadOn
    I found that for me, a really sugary drink (like the old lucozade) and a bag of ready salted crisps can often stave off a migraine if I catch it early enough. I know that my triggers include dehydration and getting too hungry, so it makes sense that something like that could work for me. Ginger biscuits are also good for the nausea, if you're able to eat during an attack, or nibbling on a bit of crystallised ginger.

I also found that mine are linked to my hormones - I used to get them very, very frequently and very, very badly when I was in my teens but I've found that since going on the progesterone-only pill their frequency has decreased dramatically. Obviously that's not ideal for everyone but it's something that's working for me at the moment. I have to say that as I'm getting 'older' they do seem to be getting more frequent again, and I have heard that menopause can cause migraine issues to flare up. That is something that worries me so I'm always looking for new ways to deal with them. I used to swear by Syndol tablets as they would relax you enough to sleep off the worst of it, but sadly they've now been reformulated and they're nowhere near as good.
    Last edited by Callie22; 11-05-2018 at 7:01 PM.
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 10th May 18, 6:06 PM
    • 921 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    JennyP
    Syndol and ibuprofen are both on the forbidden list for me.

I will research Valerian. That's a new one for me. Have tried other supplements and herbs like feverfew and vitamin b2 and magnesium.
    • vodkachick68
    • By vodkachick68 11th May 18, 6:12 AM
    • 494 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    vodkachick68
    I found that for me, a really sugary drink (like the old lucozade) and a bag of ready salted crisps can often stave off a migraine if I catch it early enough. I know that my triggers include dehydration and getting too hungry, so it makes sense that something like that could work for me. Ginger biscuits are also good for the nausea, if you're able to eat during an attack, ornibbling on a bit of crystallised ginger.

I also found that mine are linked to my hormones - I used to get them very, very frequently and very, very badly when I was in my teens but I've found that since going on the progesterone-only pill their frequency has decreased dramatically. Obviously that's not ideal for everyone but it's something that's working for me at the moment. I have to say that as I'm getting 'older' they do seem to be getting more frequent again, and I have heard that menopause can cause migraine issues to flare up. That is something that worries me so I'm always looking for new ways to deal with them. I used to swear by Syndol tablets as they would relax you enough to sleep off the worst of it, but sadly they've now been reformulated and they're nowhere near as good.
    Originally posted by Callie22
    I'm currently going through menopause and my migraines are awful. I get them at least once a month maybe more and I find they are lasting for 2 or 3 days I think mine are caused by insomnia(another menopause symptom) and my blood sugar level being low. I have a banana by my bed and find if I wake in the night I chomp on that which doesn't get rid of it but eases it but I always have to take my zolmatriptan to help it ease. I also take paracetamol extra strength along side but as these have caffeine in I struggle to then sleep. Ibuprofen doesn't even touch my migraines.

I'm at the end of my tether as its starting to affect my work as I cannot keep taking time off. I don't think employers understand the severity of how migraines can make you feel,it's debilitating and is a genuine illness. I'm off to the docs yet again to see if there are any other preventative medication I can take.
    • elliesmemory1
    • By elliesmemory1 11th May 18, 6:52 AM
    • 1,201 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    elliesmemory1
    Hebs on the hill headache balm can help. Also found that Coca-Cola and a bag of crisps can help.
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 11th May 18, 8:13 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    JennyP
    I'm currently going through menopause and my migraines are awful. I get them at least once a month maybe more and I find they are lasting for 2 or 3 days I think mine are caused by insomnia(another menopause symptom) and my blood sugar level being low. I have a banana by my bed and find if I wake in the night I chomp on that which doesn't get rid of it but eases it but I always have to take my zolmatriptan to help it ease. I also take paracetamol extra strength along side but as these have caffeine in I struggle to then sleep. Ibuprofen doesn't even touch my migraines.

I'm at the end of my tether as its starting to affect my work as I cannot keep taking time off. I don't think employers understand the severity of how migraines can make you feel,it's debilitating and is a genuine illness. I'm off to the docs yet again to see if there are any other preventative medication I can take.
    Originally posted by vodkachick68
    That sounds terrible. The employer thing is something I can really relate to. An old boss, sitting in front of a bright computer screen, once said to me, "I've got one of your migraines!" I said, "No, you've got a headache. If you had a migraine, you wouldn't be looking at a screen. You'd be in a dark to, in agony, vomiting your guts up!"

In.my last job, my boss had a very disapproving tone if I rang in sick with a migraine. It somehow added to the pressure. I gave up work at Christmas. Partly cos my husband retired. But partly cos it was so stressful getting migraines then having to call in sick and I am sure the stress made the migraines more frequent.

Could you have something like a bowl of porridge at bedtime to try and keep your blood sugar more stable in the night?

I have no headache this morning. I tried drinking a glass of water in the middle of the night and it seems to have helped.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 11th May 18, 10:09 AM
    • 2,672 Posts
    • 7,152 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Triptans mentioned several times in earlier posts. Maxalt is rizatriptan.

I am off them due to side effects. Though we have a few in.
    Originally posted by JennyP
    There are others, might be worth trying a few varieties if that one works for you other than the side effects.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 11th May 18, 10:12 AM
    • 2,672 Posts
    • 7,152 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I have the same trouble. When I first feel the niggle I have to get Ibruprofen in me, otherwise I end up vomiting and crawling into bed for hours. One thing I found good is Valerian (the Romans used this for migraines), found in herbal sleeping aids, apparently it opens the veins in the brain that cause the migraine. I have a family history of high blood pressure, but mine is textbook 123/74, so I wonder if my migraines are triggered when my blood pressure is raised.

My GP prescribed me Sumatriptan, which are miracle pills as far as I am concerned. But I ration their use to when a migraine threatens to paralyse me as you only get 6 pills per prescription, which I pay for.
    Originally posted by GothicStirling

Speak to your GP, they can prescribe more if needed, I get 6 now but when I was having a really bad spate of frequent attacks they gave me more in one go. Look into whether its worth getting a prepay prescription card as well, it works out just over a tenner a month so if you get at least two prescriptions every month, or even just more than 12 in a year, its worth it.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 11th May 18, 10:35 AM
    • 21,836 Posts
    • 10,551 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I'm currently going through menopause and my migraines are awful.
    This amy be a stupid question, but is HRT a possible option?
    Interested as I'm nearly 50 and as I believe my monthly migraines are hormone related I'm expecting them to go a bit haywire when I get to the menopause.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 11th May 18, 7:08 PM
    • 3,101 Posts
    • 8,430 Thanks
    Callie22
    One thing I found good is Valerian (the Romans used this for migraines), found in herbal sleeping aids, apparently it opens the veins in the brain that cause the migraine. I have a family history of high blood pressure, but mine is textbook 123/74, so I wonder if my migraines are triggered when my blood pressure is raised.
    Originally posted by GothicStirling
    That's interesting - I've taken valerian for sleep problems but I've never tried it for a migraine, but it makes sense as it helps you to relax and I'm guessing it'd do the same as the muscle relaxant stuff in Syndol. The only problem I have with valerian is the smell of it - I don't think it'd be too easy to manage if you're feeling queasy already! My cat's one of the ones that has no interest in catnip but loves valerian so she gets a bag of it fairly regularly, but it certainly has an 'interesting' pong!
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 11th May 18, 7:25 PM
    • 921 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    JennyP
    Interested as I'm nearly 50 and as I believe my monthly migraines are hormone related I'm expecting them to go a bit haywire when I get to the menopause.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    Snap. About to turn 49.

I don't fancy hrt. I did buy a cookbook of natural alternatives to hrt but it was a chore.
    • vodkachick68
    • By vodkachick68 11th May 18, 7:51 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    vodkachick68
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    Weirdly enough the doctor has just prescribed me hrt. I have most of the menopause symptoms so she thinks hrt would be a good option. I've just turned 50 and have been peri for a while now though the symptoms have got a lot worse over the last 6-8 months. I'm going to have patches for 3 months. I'm really hoping they work as I'm suffering with it all if I'm honest.

I woke again to day at 5am with a headache but after taking paracetamol and eating a banana I caught it in time. I will look at trying valerian for sleep as I think this might help and its natural.
    My migraines are a throbbing pain above my right eye and I get blurred vision and the tiredness is unreal. I don't often get the sickness or nausea but I did with the last one I had.
    • newatc
    • By newatc 11th May 18, 10:55 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    newatc
    Some interesting points on this thread for migraine sufferers. As I stated I use paracetemol to try to try to head a migraine off (if that doesn't stop it then I use Ibuprofen in addition) . I don't eat sweet stuff but I think I will get some coke(cola) and crisps in to also use that when I feel vulnerable to an attack and try to remember other suggestions.
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 12th May 18, 10:43 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    JennyP
    Weirdly enough the doctor has just prescribed me hrt. I have most of the menopause symptoms so she thinks hrt would be a good option. I've just turned 50 and have been peri for a while now though the symptoms have got a lot worse over the last 6-8 months. I'm going to have patches for 3 months. I'm really hoping they work as I'm suffering with it all if I'm honest.

I woke again to day at 5am with a headache but after taking paracetamol and eating a banana I caught it in time. I will look at trying valerian for sleep as I think this might help and its natural.
    My migraines are a throbbing pain above my right eye and I get blurred vision and the tiredness is unreal. I don't often get the sickness or nausea but I did with the last one I had.
    Originally posted by vodkachick68
    Please let us know if the HRT helps your migraines!

Hope yesterday's headache didn't become a migraine. The tiredness is unreal. I have been known to crawl up the stairs on my hands and knees. Even having a conversation wears me out - last time I vomited any time anyone asked me a question as the effort to reply was too much.

For the last few months, I have had a migraine regularly on a Saturday every four weeks. It was due today. It hasn't arrived. I don't know whether that's just a) luck b) the start of a period of having no migraines for a few months and thinking they've actually gone only to find later that they haven't (happens every couple of years) c) the iron tablets or d) the result of being less stressed recently.

Could even be e) the fact I've been doing more regular exercise.

Very grateful whatever it is.
    • vodkachick68
    • By vodkachick68 12th May 18, 8:55 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 2,077 Thanks
    vodkachick68
    Please let us know if the HRT helps your migraines!

Hope yesterday's headache didn't become a migraine. The tiredness is unreal. I have been known to crawl up the stairs on my hands and knees. Even having a conversation wears me out - last time I vomited any time anyone asked me a question as the effort to reply was too much.

For the last few months, I have had a migraine regularly on a Saturday every four weeks. It was due today. It hasn't arrived. I don't know whether that's just a) luck b) the start of a period of having no migraines for a few months and thinking they've actually gone only to find later that they haven't (happens every couple of years) c) the iron tablets or d) the result of being less stressed recently.

Could even be e) the fact I've been doing more regular exercise.

Very grateful whatever it is.
    Originally posted by JennyP
    I shall keep you updated on the hrt patches and see if I feel any better. It takes a while to notice any difference but reading reviews I should start feeling the benefits very soon. No headache yesterday or today so fingers crossed i don't get anymore. Like yourself I can go for a period of time then bam along pops at least 3 days worth!

I do think regular exercise plays a big factor in how we feel. I was going to the gym on a regular basis up until a couple of weeks ago then surprise surprise I get one when I haven't been to gym.

Fingers crossed your ok now. What us ladies have to go through eh
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 14th May 18, 11:07 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    JennyP
    No monthly migraine for first time in ages!!!!

This is where I originally saw the link to iron!

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/302374562476514819/sent/?sfo=1&sender=381539537089732022&invite_code=9dc72 1aa79a14facba8a3f10e7a90c71
    • mylastpound
    • By mylastpound 14th May 18, 7:59 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    mylastpound
    Ive suffered from migrains since i was in high school, but i suffered from bad headache since primary school.
    ive tried all tablets, My doctor prescribed me sutriptan and put me on a 50mg dosage to begin with and ive sinced been upped to 100mg and they really do help when i have a full on migraine. However, im more for one trying to reduce the cause rather than live off tablets.

i was advised to see a osteopath, which i recently did and once a month i have a sports massage, which is based at a osteopath clinic ( NOT a beauty shop) and they focus on my neck and this is where ive seen the difference. They stretch the muscles in my neck, shoulders, jaw ect. Since i started this in March, ive not had a headache or migraine!! prior to that i could have 2 x migraines a week. so ive seen a massive impovement for me. She said my neck and jaw were so tight!

Ive never found ibrufin, paracetamol or migrain head patches to work for me.
    3-6 Emergency Fund, No96: 600 / 2,000
    House Deposit: 11,000 / 11,000
    Holiday Fund: 100 / 1,300
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 16th May 18, 9:47 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    JennyP
    i was advised to see a osteopath, which i recently did and once a month i have a sports massage, which is based at a osteopath clinic ( NOT a beauty shop) and they focus on my neck and this is where ive seen the difference. They stretch the muscles in my neck, shoulders, jaw ect. Since i started this in March, ive not had a headache or migraine!! prior to that i could have 2 x migraines a week. so ive seen a massive impovement for me. She said my neck and jaw were so tight!

Ive never found ibrufin, paracetamol or migrain head patches to work for me.
    Originally posted by mylastpound
    I wondered about seeing an osteopath. Will put that down as something to try.

Had worst headache since I came off codeine yesterday. It wasn't a migraine though at times I felt sure it would be. I drank a spoonful of ginger powder in some water in the morning. Wonder if that's what kept it at bay.

This thread hasn't been too money saving so far but yesterday I had an idea.

Mum (gets headaches not migraines) and I both like these little pots of headache balm but they're 6-7 a pot and the pots are little. They're cooling and soothing a bit like 4head sticks.

The ingredients seem to be just lavendar and peppermint oils. I had both in. Lavendar to help me sleep and peppermint because I used to make a spray with it to deter spiders from coming on my boat when I lived on a boat. They hate peppermint.

Anyway, mixed both oils with some moisturiser in a little pot (had saved all the empty headache balm pots!). It felt just the same when I put it on my head!

Peppermint oil and lavendar oil are both cheap on Amazon.

Now planning to make my own magnesium spray. It's just magnesium flakes apparently. Again on Amazon but am planning to get from Holland and Barrett as they have smaller and therefore cheaper bags. Online it said Poundworld stock it too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,101Posts Today

6,762Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin