Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th May 18, 5:19 AM
    • 25,822Posts
    • 54,875Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Mozzies in the garden
    • 8th May 18, 5:19 AM
    Mozzies in the garden 8th May 18 at 5:19 AM
    Loads of them! And spoiling my enjoyment of my new garden

How do I get rid? There are no "wet" areas and yet the blighters are there all day long. Am guessing the combination of wet weather followed by hot didn't help, but even so...

Other than burning citronella near me to repel them, what can I do to actually get rid? Is there a secret formula?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Page 1
    • paddy's mum
    • By paddy's mum 8th May 18, 9:51 AM
    • 3,524 Posts
    • 12,688 Thanks
    paddy's mum
    • 8th May 18, 9:51 AM
    • 8th May 18, 9:51 AM
    Are you sure that they are mosquitoes?

There are quite few species of similar looking insects that congregate in large swirling clouds at this time of the year, hence the timely arrival of swallows, swifts and martins to take advantage of them.

It might be worth trying to catch one or two in order to identify them.

Other than that, I can only offer you the name of the local beekeepers' outfitters.....
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 8th May 18, 10:06 AM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 1,398 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 8th May 18, 10:06 AM
    • 8th May 18, 10:06 AM
    There really is nothing much you can do.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 8th May 18, 10:07 AM
    • 3,121 Posts
    • 5,088 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    • 8th May 18, 10:07 AM
    • 8th May 18, 10:07 AM
    Use a good mosquito repellant on yourself - I like Mosquito Milk.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 8th May 18, 10:45 AM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 492 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 8th May 18, 10:45 AM
    • 8th May 18, 10:45 AM
    Loads of dead 'flies' on my windscreen today, which is very unusual

• chrisw
    • By chrisw 8th May 18, 10:53 AM
    • 1,718 Posts
    • 949 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 8th May 18, 10:53 AM
    • 8th May 18, 10:53 AM
    Originally posted by Tabbytabitha
    How do you milk a mosquito?
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 8th May 18, 3:05 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 2,166 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 8th May 18, 3:05 PM
    • 8th May 18, 3:05 PM
    You could try growing plants that are known to repel them. Lavender is one but I'm sure Google will bring up a long list of others. I don't know whether you'd ever get rid of them completely but if you are having plants anyway and you happen to like some of the ones on the list it's worth a go!
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 8th May 18, 4:55 PM
    • 3,559 Posts
    • 5,502 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 8th May 18, 4:55 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:55 PM
    If they aren't mosquitoes , they could be gnats. Sometimes they could be in batches by treees etc There is a wrist band that you could buy .
    It contains citronella . There are pens also that gardeners use that do the same job. Maybe a citronella candle? If you smoke that would keep everything away also.
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 8th May 18, 4:59 PM
    • 2,115 Posts
    • 5,567 Thanks
    Loanranger
    • 8th May 18, 4:59 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:59 PM
    The smoking thing is a myth, as i know all too well having been bitten by mozzies and midges while puffing away for England.
    • starving artist
    • By starving artist 8th May 18, 8:49 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 6,338 Thanks
    starving artist
    Do those zapper things work? Has anyone tried them?
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th May 18, 9:29 PM
    • 25,822 Posts
    • 54,875 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    If they aren't mosquitoes , they could be gnats.
    Originally posted by another casualty
    I didn't know there was a difference

Yes, they congregate in batches and really p me off. My lavender has proven ineffective this far.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • elsien
    • By elsien 8th May 18, 9:35 PM
    • 16,736 Posts
    • 42,227 Thanks
    elsien
    Full on prophylaxis?

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 9th May 18, 12:34 AM
    • 3,340 Posts
    • 8,699 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    The smoking thing is a myth, as i know all too well having been bitten by mozzies and midges while puffing away for England.
    Originally posted by Loanranger
    It is true.

My uncle chained smoked and was never once bitten by a mozzie.

Although he did die young of lung cancer so it was a bit swings and roundabouts.
    Every Village has its Idiot.

If you don't know who your Village Idiot is

it is probably you.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 9th May 18, 7:34 AM
    • 535 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    ashe
    Only thing you can do is remove things that make them congregate - damp shade caused by trees and bushes, can!!!8217;t really do anything ablutbposition of your house etc, but we get loads out front north facing in the shade where we have two trees but none put back southerly facing in bright sun.

There are co2 based traps but they cost about 500 with ongoing costs
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 9th May 18, 10:09 AM
    • 4,452 Posts
    • 4,978 Thanks
    robatwork
    Having researched mossie repellents a lot for holidays you can try Avon's skin so soft. It's cheaper than Jungle Formula and seems to work OK. I personally hated the smell and prefer something citronella based.

I realise this doesn't answer your question - I doubt you can prevent them congregating if you have no standing water. Maybe a sign?
    Gno Gnats
    Mosquitos qo Home
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 9th May 18, 11:20 AM
    • 7,990 Posts
    • 13,799 Thanks
    andrewf75
    Given that mosquitos inhabit everywhere on Earth you can forget getting rid. Repell them and try not to attract them with standing water etc, but be realistic. They are just something you have to live with.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th May 18, 8:16 PM
    • 25,822 Posts
    • 54,875 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Only thing you can do is remove things that make them congregate - damp shade caused by trees and bushes, can!!!8217;t really do anything ablutbposition of your house etc, but we get loads out front north facing in the shade where we have two trees but none put back southerly facing in bright sun.
    Originally posted by ashe
    I've only just read this but came to the same conclusion earlier myself today when I realised how much moss there was at the end of the garden. I think its likely that I'm going to have to cut the trees right back, which is a real shame as they are supposed to be fruit trees and I was looking forward to the yield. On the other hand I don't feel sentimental about it, if its a choice of don't eat to avoid being eaten yourself then its a no-brainer.

• Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 10th May 18, 9:38 PM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 6,703 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Originally posted by Tabbytabitha
    Another vote here for Mosquito Milk. It's brilliant stuff, not the cheapest, but definitely the best repellent I've ever used. I can even sit out and enjoy drinks on our west facing patio at dusk these days. Never been possible before, even with the use of citronella candles and incense stick thingys...
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

359Posts Today

3,853Users online

Martin's Twitter