Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MoneySavingMission
    • By MoneySavingMission 7th May 18, 9:11 PM
    • 215Posts
    • 22Thanks
    MoneySavingMission
    moonlight tenant gone!
    • 7th May 18, 9:11 PM
    moonlight tenant gone! 7th May 18 at 9:11 PM
    Hi
    I need some guidance re a moonlighting tenant. I'm the landlord, I don't want to put detail on an open forum, can someone experienced in the legal situation of this please pm me?
Page 3
    • MoneySavingMission
    • By MoneySavingMission 8th May 18, 2:40 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    MoneySavingMission
    I was also confused by the term moonlighting. I thought that meant someone who had two jobs.

Is the tenant in arrears? If so, by how much? If not, have they broken any terms of their contract (e.g. is there a term that they can't leave it unoccupied for more than a set time).
    Originally posted by thelem
    Yes, it's in the contact 'tenant to tell landlord if absent from accommodation for a period of more than 14 days' Impossible to know when they moved out for certain - police did say a few weeks ago.

Yes, ok it's a Short Assured Tenancy. Also surprised, at the attack of some posters.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th May 18, 2:47 PM
    • 20,115 Posts
    • 15,839 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I was also confused by the term moonlighting. I thought that meant someone who had two jobs.
    Originally posted by thelem
    I suspect that the OP has used the term as a short cut to mean "done a moonlight flit", but because the OP can't be bothered to give us the proper background I'm not getting involved.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th May 18, 3:27 PM
    • 15,596 Posts
    • 43,326 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    The reason you're getting mixed opinions is because on the one hand, the law affords your tenant a LOT of protection that comes at your expense; on the other hand, the tenant is highly unlikely to make use of any of it. So you have a choice to make between following the law and thereby incurring significant extra expense but no risk, or taking shortcuts that will probably be absolutely fine but run the risk of landing you in hot water. Posters here vary significantly in their levels of risk aversion. Those who've seen a few of my posts will be unsurprised to hear me say I'd personally go for option #2; I'm equally unsurprised by some of the people recommending option #1
    Originally posted by ThePants999
    Par for the course - living in Britain 2018 (some parts more than others) and there will be people who are "scared of their own shadow" on the one hand and terrified to do anything that might amount to "putting a foot out of place" on the one hand and those thinking "I'll just go in for commonsense - and there shouldnt be a problem" on the other hand).

Yep....personally - some of us do believe in being straight down the line fair (to both parties) and that may or may not coincide with how the law is currently (ie in the exact year concerned).

NB; Some of us instantly took the term "moonlighting" exactly as meant. The term does, strictly, refer to jobs - but some of us realised that it meant = doing a moonlight flit (ie in this context).
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 08-05-2018 at 3:32 PM.
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 8th May 18, 5:47 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 1,373 Thanks
    ThePants999
    Indeed. And it amuses me a bit that there's a strong correlation between the sorts of people that say "it's obvious you need to follow the letter of the law" and the people who say "being a landlord is running a business, so you should know this stuff like the back of your hand and live by it" - because I suspect that it's rather common for one-man businesses in other sectors to take certain commonsense legal shortcuts from time to time
    • G_M
    • By G_M 8th May 18, 8:04 PM
    • 44,056 Posts
    • 52,178 Thanks
    G_M
    I don't believe there's any further information to impart.

The OP has had the law explained; been pointed at sources of information; been advised of practical short-cuts; had the risks associated with those shortcuts spelt out; and has heard from people with varying viewpoints (as is normal on a public forum).

All that remains is for the OP to make a decision, take the appropriate action, and then come back and tell us how it all pans out...........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,105Posts Today

9,044Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin