Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Inigo Montoya
    • By Inigo Montoya 7th May 18, 7:27 PM
    • 763Posts
    • 677Thanks
    Inigo Montoya
    Estate & Trust Administration
    • 7th May 18, 7:27 PM
    Estate & Trust Administration 7th May 18 at 7:27 PM
    can anybody recommend a good book(s) about estate & trust administration for executors ?

thanks in advance for any replies
Page 2
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 8th May 18, 2:28 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    Marcon
    Regarding the comment about studying for 5 years - how much of that was spent on learning about estate & trust administration ? - 5 years covers all aspects of the law i presume

I may try to split the work if it becomes too difficult eg if its possible apply for probate myself which I suspect will not be too difficult then get a solicitors help to sort out the trusts after the grant of probate

I helped my father file his tax return last year & so I have an idea of how complicated his affairs are (IIRC probably around 20 or so different investments & savings accounts along with a couple of pensions) - it would be very easy for even a solicitor or IFA to mess things up since there is no documentation other than his tax return support information that lists everything & even that isnt easy to decipher

I will get professinal help only if absolutely necessary - the solicitor who handled my mothers will 20 years ago (who managed to get himself named as an executor so couldnt be fired) was incompetant & a crook so professional help is a definate last resort & will only be done under my strict supervision
    Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
    Professional advisers aren't your adversaries. They are there to work in partnership with clients to ensure the best and most cost-effective outcome. They work under instruction from their clients and sensible advisers will be only too pleased to listen to useful input (e.g. your help in terms of understanding your father's tax affairs).

As you say, lawyers are trained to cover many aspects of law, not just one - and winding up an estate needs a lot more than a working knowledge of trusts and tax.

Not sure how you think you will be able to get probate without a full understanding of the tax position of this estate - you do need to pay the tax before you can get probate.

If the allegations you make about the lawyer who handled your mother's estate are true, then doubtless you will have reported him to the relevant professional body and they will have disciplined him?
    Last edited by Marcon; 08-05-2018 at 2:32 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

288Posts Today

3,169Users online

Martin's Twitter