Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nhoneymonster
    • By nhoneymonster 7th May 18, 4:18 PM
    • 123Posts
    • 51Thanks
    nhoneymonster
    Faulty PC
    • 7th May 18, 4:18 PM
    Faulty PC 7th May 18 at 4:18 PM
    Hope someone can offer advice.

In January I bought a new PC directly from the manufacturer, within a couple of weeks of using it I noticed it was intermittently restarting for no reason. After contacting support and the troubleshooting suggestions not working they arranged a repair. Around a week after getting it back the same issue occurred. I contacted support and was told they could only offer another repair at this point. It was sent back for repair again, but shortly after getting it back the same problem occurred again. I have contacted support and said I do not want to have to send it back for a further repair, but they've said that's the avenue of support they can offer at the moment. Do I have to accept this? This would be the third repair within three months for the same issue which has been occurring since shortly after purchase. Surely they have to offer a refund or exchange at some point?
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th May 18, 8:38 PM
    • 27,966 Posts
    • 11,360 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 7th May 18, 8:38 PM
    • 7th May 18, 8:38 PM
    Which manufacturer? A brand new or graded or reburb unit?

System updates?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 7th May 18, 9:36 PM
    • 10,575 Posts
    • 10,968 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 7th May 18, 9:36 PM
    • 7th May 18, 9:36 PM
    After one failed repair, you, as a consumer, can seek a refund from the seller.

During the first six months following the sale, that must be a full refund.

Also during that same six months any fault can be assumed to have been present at the time of the sale and it is for the seller to prove otherwise.
    • nhoneymonster
    • By nhoneymonster 7th May 18, 10:08 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    nhoneymonster
    • 7th May 18, 10:08 PM
    • 7th May 18, 10:08 PM
    Which manufacturer? A brand new or graded or reburb unit?

System updates?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    It was bought brand new directly from Lenovo. I haven't done any updates other than the usual windows updates. The restarting doesn't seem to relate to updates either as it just happens without warning, sometimes when you are in the middle of something!
    • nhoneymonster
    • By nhoneymonster 7th May 18, 10:14 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    nhoneymonster
    • 7th May 18, 10:14 PM
    • 7th May 18, 10:14 PM
    After one failed repair, you, as a consumer, can seek a refund from the seller.

During the first six months following the sale, that must be a full refund.

Also during that same six months any fault can be assumed to have been present at the time of the sale and it is for the seller to prove otherwise.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Thanks for the info. When they offered the second repair I said I wasn't really happy with that, the customer services rep tried to escalate to find a better solution but said that's all they could offer. When I reported it this time I said I didn't want to return it a third time but they still only offered a repair. I have replied and said it's not reasonable to ask me to return it again and I want a replacement or refund. Will see how they reply!
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 8th May 18, 7:52 AM
    • 4,048 Posts
    • 6,990 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 8th May 18, 7:52 AM
    • 8th May 18, 7:52 AM
    What parts, if any, have they replaced?
    • nhoneymonster
    • By nhoneymonster 8th May 18, 9:02 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    nhoneymonster
    • 8th May 18, 9:02 AM
    • 8th May 18, 9:02 AM
    They replaced a part each time but not sure what. The last repair they said they identified a failing component.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th May 18, 9:14 AM
    • 32,908 Posts
    • 20,727 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 8th May 18, 9:14 AM
    • 8th May 18, 9:14 AM
    How did you pay ?

You could ask what they have replaced.
    • nhoneymonster
    • By nhoneymonster 8th May 18, 9:52 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    nhoneymonster
    • 8th May 18, 9:52 AM
    • 8th May 18, 9:52 AM
    I paid by credit card.

There was a document on the box the first time saying what they'd replaced but not sure what it said now. I still have the box so I can check if they've advised what they replaced this time.
    • nhoneymonster
    • By nhoneymonster 16th May 18, 9:54 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    nhoneymonster
    Still no reply to my email of 7 May! Maybe time for a social media rant.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 16th May 18, 10:51 AM
    • 9,356 Posts
    • 7,028 Thanks
    pmduk
    The Consumer Rights Act gives them only one chance at a repair.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 16th May 18, 10:59 AM
    • 11,980 Posts
    • 8,726 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Still no reply to my email of 7 May! Maybe time for a social media rant.
    Originally posted by nhoneymonster
    Try phoning them and explain to them that under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 they are only entitled to a single attempt at a repair after which they must provide a refund (or replacement should you wish).
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 16th May 18, 2:47 PM
    • 12,984 Posts
    • 10,293 Thanks
    unholyangel
    I paid by credit card.

There was a document on the box the first time saying what they'd replaced but not sure what it said now. I still have the box so I can check if they've advised what they replaced this time.
    Contact your card company and start a section 75 claim - make sure the bank do a section 75 and not a chargeback (ask them to make sure if you have any doubts).
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • nhoneymonster
    • By nhoneymonster 17th May 18, 4:23 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    nhoneymonster
    After posting on Facebook they are dealing with it as a complaint, but have now offered to send an engineer rather than me having to send it to the service centre. Do they not get that I don't want another repair? I've quoted the Consumer Rights Act but they still seem to be insisting on a third repair attempt, although I am entitled to a refund after one failed attempt! Maybe they are trying to wait out the six months that I have to request a refund.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 17th May 18, 5:00 PM
    • 12,984 Posts
    • 10,293 Thanks
    unholyangel
    After posting on Facebook they are dealing with it as a complaint, but have now offered to send an engineer rather than me having to send it to the service centre. Do they not get that I don't want another repair? I've quoted the Consumer Rights Act but they still seem to be insisting on a third repair attempt, although I am entitled to a refund after one failed attempt! Maybe they are trying to wait out the six months that I have to request a refund.
    You don't have 6 months to request a refund. There are 3 ways you can be entitled to a refund.

One is the short term right to reject - you have this right for 30 days from purchase.
    Another is a price reduction - where you keep the goods for a reduced price.
    The last (which we're referring to here) is the final right to reject. There is no time limit on the final right to reject. You have this right if:
    1) after one attempt at either a repair or replacement, the goods still fail to conform to contract
    2) If the retailer is unable to either repair or replace within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience.

The CRA also states that if you exercise the final right to reject in the first 6 months (not if the retailer actually refunds you within the first 6 months) that no reduction can be made.
    • nhoneymonster
    • By nhoneymonster 17th May 18, 5:35 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    nhoneymonster
    Thanks. The advice I read stated that it's easier within the first six months as they would have to prove the fault wasn't there to begin with, that's where I got the time frame from. Good to know there is no time limit though.

I have replied to them again stating that I want a refund and also contacted CAB. Section 75 claim may be the next step if I don't get anywhere.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 17th May 18, 7:05 PM
    • 12,984 Posts
    • 10,293 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Thanks. The advice I read stated that it's easier within the first six months as they would have to prove the fault wasn't there to begin with, that's where I got the time frame from. Good to know there is no time limit though.

I have replied to them again stating that I want a refund and also contacted CAB. Section 75 claim may be the next step if I don't get anywhere.
    It is easier in the first 6 months as any lack of conformity that becomes apparent in the first 6 months is presumed inherent and its for the retailer to prove otherwise. But it goes by the date you reported it. If you've done this via email or social media then you should have no problem proving you reported the fault in the first 6 months if its ever called into question later down the line.
    • nhoneymonster
    • By nhoneymonster 17th May 18, 7:36 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    nhoneymonster
    When I first contacted them it was via chat and they didn't send me a transcript although I requested it. I made sure subsequent contact was in writing!
    • nhoneymonster
    • By nhoneymonster 21st May 18, 5:53 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    nhoneymonster
    Despite quoting the Consumer Rights Act and requesting a refund they are insistent that there has to be another repair attempt, although there have already been two. Maybe I'll have to do a Section 75 as I don't seem to be getting anywhere with them. Initially I would have been happy with an exchange, but if this is how they deal with faulty items I just want a refund!
    • nhoneymonster
    • By nhoneymonster 23rd May 18, 6:49 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    nhoneymonster
    They have now come back saying that although it was bought from Lenovo's online store it is actually Digital River who are the retailer and Lenovo are just the manufacturers. Could they not have mentioned this before? It was bought from the Lenovo online shop and emails regarding the order were addressed from Lenovo. Not unreasonable to think I had bought directly from the manufacturer!

Have now contacted Digital River to see what they say.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,293Posts Today

8,192Users online

Martin's Twitter