Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncleZen
    • By UncleZen 7th May 18, 2:51 PM
    • 605Posts
    • 215Thanks
    UncleZen
    How cold should AC be?
    • 7th May 18, 2:51 PM
    How cold should AC be? 7th May 18 at 2:51 PM
    What with hot recent hot spell it appears that the AC has lost the edge it used to have (or maybe it's my memory). It got me wondering how cold it should be.
    So I thought I'd test it.

Blower on full
    AC on lowest setting
    Re-circ on
    Direct to face vent
    Place thermometer in front of vent for 2 mins
    Record temp and ambient.

Ambient 24, 9 at vent
    Ambient 27, 11 at vent

Car is just over 3 so maybe a recharge is due.
Page 1
    • mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 7th May 18, 3:05 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    mr_accountant
    • 7th May 18, 3:05 PM
    • 7th May 18, 3:05 PM
    does not seem to bad to me

when it was hot (for one day) around 28C a couple of weeks ago, i checked using the same as above, from memory on full fan speed was around 12C at the centre vents,

with the heat pounding through the windows and car left in direct sunlight it can take a while to feel cold.

I find when its reasonably cold air coming from the vents, put on fan speed 2, re-circ and then the temp at the vents was around 6-7C and feels nice and cool.

also set the vent direction correctly, i prefer outside vent at my face and larger centre vent at my chest area.

it will also depend on the car, ie bigger engined cars will cool quicker. smaller engines need to work harder as a result can take a bit longer.

also if its been sitting will take longer to cool down, in the sun open windows to release hot air only close when cold air coming form the vents and feel comfortable inside.
    • adonis
    • By adonis 7th May 18, 4:07 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    adonis
    • 7th May 18, 4:07 PM
    • 7th May 18, 4:07 PM
    I always use the aircon to cool the cabin, by that I mean aim it at the windows and over your head so you are cooling the environment not yourself.
    • Noree
    • By Noree 11th May 18, 8:45 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Noree
    • 11th May 18, 8:45 PM
    • 11th May 18, 8:45 PM
    You!!!8217;re right about air con not being so !!!8216;strong!!!8217; nowadays. I believe your vehicle has a fixed-orifice system, as opposed to the old variable/expansion valve.

These orifice tubes vary depending on the country. The typically hotter countries will have a wider tube to allow more flow. There is some reason for logic in this approach somewhere if you look it up.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 11th May 18, 11:33 PM
    • 5,394 Posts
    • 5,002 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 11th May 18, 11:33 PM
    • 11th May 18, 11:33 PM
    Sounds about right to me. If your car has an "Eco" setting switch it off if you want extra cooling.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,892Posts Today

8,216Users online

Martin's Twitter