Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • typeractive
    • By typeractive 7th May 18, 1:02 PM
    • 837Posts
    • 353Thanks
    typeractive
    Engagement ring buying advice: Online / UK / Abroad
    • 7th May 18, 1:02 PM
    Engagement ring buying advice: Online / UK / Abroad 7th May 18 at 1:02 PM
    Hi all,

I've done a bit of research into buying an engagement ring. I've looked with my partner at rings, so have a good idea of what she would like. She wants me to pick the actual ring as a surprise (she thinks I have good taste ). I know the ring she REALLY liked was in Tiffanys, but that's out of my budget (which she knows and doesn't expect) so I'm trying to find the closest rival and narrowing my choices down to:

1.0 carat diamond, princess cut, claw held, E colour, VVS2, platinum with 'halo?' (the lots of little diamonds on the side). I'm sure I will have forgotten some other details in there.

Variety and cost vary between high street vendors, and online. I'm looking for reputable places to buy from, so if people have recommendations of places online etc that would be really appreciated. Also, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of buying this spec abroad (yes I know potentially a bit more risk - hence asking for advice and doing homework). I know the next question would be - "depends where you're going".

I may be off to vegas soon, or a holiday (with other half) in Asia (Thailand / Vietnam / Cambodia) later in the year.

So far the best place in terms of comparison (on what I can compare) details wise is purely diamonds which I found from on here. I have friends who took a risk and bought a ring on holiday in Turkey. They got it checked on their return and it was all legit, and they saved a small fortune. Whilst I would consider abroad, it could only be somewhere with very good reputation.

Any thoughts and experiences welcomed
    "The future needs a big kiss"
Page 2
    • John-K
    • By John-K 8th May 18, 8:20 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    John-K
    Years ago I did my research about clarity, colour etc, and went to the diamond district in New York to get some stones for stud earrings for my wife.

I browsed a decent selection of the same sort of quality that the big name jewellers use in their rings, and picked a couple out.

I then asked him to show me the really good stones, the top of the range, assuming that they would be indistinguishable, and the difference was like night and day.

Unfortunately it was reflected in the price, too, so I ended up buying none of them, as I was not happy with the look of the cheaper ones or the price of the good ones.
    • retepetsir
    • By retepetsir 9th May 18, 3:02 PM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    retepetsir
    I bought my OH her engagement ring and few years ago and actually ended up using Blue Nile (online) as I knew exactly what she wanted. Received a beautiful ring at a good price, including certificate, and it still looks great now. It's recently been valued quite a bit higher than the original purchase price.

I did also carry out quite a bit of research, and she was more interested in the colour/clarity than size, so I found one that ticked all the boxes.

The Great Declutter Challenge - 876
    ------------------------
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th May 18, 5:15 PM
    • 20,022 Posts
    • 53,747 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Years ago I did my research about clarity, colour etc, and went to the diamond district in New York to get some stones for stud earrings for my wife.

I browsed a decent selection of the same sort of quality that the big name jewellers use in their rings, and picked a couple out.

I then asked him to show me the really good stones, the top of the range, assuming that they would be indistinguishable, and the difference was like night and day.

Unfortunately it was reflected in the price, too, so I ended up buying none of them, as I was not happy with the look of the cheaper ones or the price of the good ones.
    Originally posted by John-K
    A friend of mine was looking for a diamond ring for his wife's 40th birthday.
    He said to me 'a diamond is a diamond, right?'.

I took him to Warren James and we looked in the window at 2 carat diamonds in which you could see the inclusions from 5 feet away and told him to note the colour (definitely on the yellow spectrum) and the price.
    Then I took him to an independent jewellers and showed him a different quality diamond ring altogether. And of course the price reflected that.

Once we'd agreed that all diamonds are not the same , I sent him off to a manufacturing jewellers where he chose a very nice stone and they made a ring to his design.

I think when you've seen a very good quality stone that you can't afford, you need to decide which of the 4 Cs is most important to you.
    A jeweller in India showed us a diamond that was a very good colour but the cut was so appalling that it had no fire.
    The girdle looked like it had been cut with a hacksaw.
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 9th May 18, 5:20 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 4,557 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    Make sure you buy a ring that fits well, in both shape and style, with her future wedding ring choice. They need to look good together and nest snugly together on the finger.

This particularly applies with a halo style as many are not as easily stackable. You need to be aware of the wedding ring height to slide underneath.
    Don't think the manufacturers don't know that either, that's often used to get you buy the matching wedding ring. This may or may not be your first choice of wedding ring so you need to be aware of it.

Therefore, I think it's best to make the decision on both the rings at the same time.
    Last edited by Quizzical Squirrel; 09-05-2018 at 5:24 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

942Posts Today

7,044Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin