Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 7th May 18, 12:30 PM
    • 4,136Posts
    • 77,072Thanks
    Chrisv
    Slimming Towards Summer - Slimming World Support Thread 2018
    • 7th May 18, 12:30 PM
    Slimming Towards Summer - Slimming World Support Thread 2018 7th May 18 at 12:30 PM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for yougo for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list so thats pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra a choice and one Healthy Extra b choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66049704&postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it Donald Horban
Page 8
    • BarleySugar
    • By BarleySugar 11th May 18, 4:55 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 8,660 Thanks
    BarleySugar
    STS for me this week. I need a dose of motivation
    • maman
    • By maman 11th May 18, 5:07 PM
    • 17,918 Posts
    • 107,262 Thanks
    maman
    Hi everyone. Plodding on at target here. Weighed in this morning and +1LB.
    Not surprised or unhappy but I find myself at the top of range again so I need to knuckle down with the plan instead of drinking peroni in the sunshine.
    Originally posted by Matron Midge

I know the feeling midge. I seem to spend too much time at the top of range too. It's not easy staying in that 6lbs window but we know it's worth it!

As you have the Bio Oil and coconut butter at home then I'd use it up Stoke. Very mse and it'll be good for the condition of your skin too. If it helps the loose skin then that's a bonus. It's good to look after yourself.

I don't know about high waisted trousers for men either. What I do know is that I much prefer a man in a good shirt, tee shirt or polo shirt in the summer rather than a vest or worse still bare chested with a tee shirt hanging from the waist band of joggers with pants on show!
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 11th May 18, 5:34 PM
    • 5,131 Posts
    • 38,288 Thanks
    joedenise
    Just a quick post while I!!!8217;ve got a good signal on DH!!!8217;s IPad.

Well done [B]Stoke[B] on going back to SW when you realised you had put most of the weight you!!!8217;d lost. It must be quite hard to go back which is one of the reasons I still go every week, even after nearly 8 years.

Definitely had too many syns yesterday. Will try not to have to much wine tonight!

Today!!!8217;s plan:

B - fry up
    L - quiche and salad
    D - out to dinner. I!!!8217;ve had a look at the menu online and have decided to have:

Starter - carpaccio of pineapple and berries
    Main. - poached salmon, potatoes, peas
    Desert - St Clement!!!8217;s sorbet

This seems to be the most SW friendly food on the menu.

Denise
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 11th May 18, 5:39 PM
    • 15,968 Posts
    • 193,129 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Thank you very much for your support. Indeed she wasn't, although you could have fooled me at the time. Haha, I don't know about fighting them off but humans are naturally very visual, so getting back to a healthier weight for that reason alone is something. Not just about the ladies either. I keep getting told I look younger, I've actually started getting ID'd again. Brilliant

Thanks very much
    I've not read many of the personal stories in the magazines, I'll have to look. I tend to buy them for the recipes more than anything. Some absolutely brilliant ideas in there though.

Thanks for the advice with regards to the loose skin. Very true, being Britain (and the North), it is permanently cold. Even when it's warm..... it's cold I have a few tubs of cocoa butter that I bought last year and never used and my ex left tonnes of the bio oil behind, so I figured I could try some of that before I throw it out. I'll keep an eye out for the massages. I didn't realise such a thing would actually help this issue.

Been and got some collagen:
    https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/holland-barrett-hydrolysed-collagen-caplets-1000mg-60004596?skuid=004596

This? I assume it will do. I wasn't sure what to buy to be honest.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    The north is definitely cold.... I've been walking in my coat!

Everyone needs to kiss a few frogs before the right one arrives... I kissed millions!!

The collagen is the one I take, thank god you got it on the penny sale!

Hi everyone. Plodding on at target here. Weighed in this morning and +1LB.
    Not surprised or unhappy but I find myself at the top of range again so I need to knuckle down with the plan instead of drinking peroni in the sunshine.
    Originally posted by Matron Midge
    It is fav you and maman have kept on target, but step away from the peroni (but OMG it is lovely!)

I know the feeling midge. I seem to spend too much time at the top of range too. It's not easy staying in that 6lbs window but we know it's worth it!

As you have the Bio Oil and coconut butter at home then I'd use it up Stoke. Very mse and it'll be good for the condition of your skin too. If it helps the loose skin then that's a bonus. It's good to look after yourself.

I don't know about high waisted trousers for men either. What I do know is that I much prefer a man in a good shirt, tee shirt or polo shirt in the summer rather than a vest or worse still bare chested with a tee shirt hanging from the waist band of joggers with pants on show!
    Originally posted by maman
    When DS came home I thought he looked gorgeous, he had slim jeans with a belt, shirt and shoes. As younger ladies were looking at him, I think they also thought the same! He used to be rather rounded, but now runs several days a week, and can eat/drink like a horse without putting on weight. Sadly my joints are too for me to run.

Food today

Breakfast
    Porridge with water and raspberries.

Lunch
    Tomato
    2 rice cake
    Philli Salmon (could some one let me know how much is the HEX please).
    grapes

Tea
    pasta, loads of veg, quorn in tomato sauce.

and I will have fruit and yoghurt later!

• p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 11th May 18, 6:54 PM
    • 6,207 Posts
    • 6,651 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    I must admit, when I turned up first day, I expected it to be mostly women, but I quickly realised it was me, myself and I when it comes to representing males. We've had one lad come with his girlfriend since and while she continues to attend, he doesn't. Still, it's nice to actually buck that trend.

I think SW is definitely targeted towards women mostly, more so than males, but I think that is also partly down to a sort of macho 'male-pride' as well as just general marketing towards a target audience.
    Originally posted by Stoke

Stoke, if you are feeling alone and are on facebook you may find it worth while joining the 'Pinch of NOM' facebook group - it's for people trying to lose weight, mainly via Slimming world, by sharing recipes and motivating photos. There are quite a few men who are members and post on there. They also have a website with some good low-syn recipes on.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 11th May 18, 9:51 PM
    • 15,968 Posts
    • 193,129 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    I am stuffed.

Bubbs where is the photo of your dinner?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th May 18, 10:00 PM
    • 54,049 Posts
    • 214,203 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yes Bubbs, where are the pictures of your tea?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 11th May 18, 10:05 PM
    • 15,968 Posts
    • 193,129 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Yes Bubbs, where are the pictures of your tea?
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Great minds think alike.... I think our bubbs is keeping Mr bubbs busy!

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th May 18, 10:07 PM
    • 54,049 Posts
    • 214,203 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great minds think alike.... I think our bubbs is keeping Mr bubbs busy!

Originally posted by Sunshinemummy

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 11th May 18, 10:18 PM
    • 15,968 Posts
    • 193,129 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    You know the saying 'do not come a knocking, when the caravan is a rocking'...... I suppose it is all body magic!

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th May 18, 10:20 PM
    • 54,049 Posts
    • 214,203 Thanks
    beanielou
    You know the saying 'do not come a knocking, when the caravan is a rocking'...... I suppose it is all body magic!

Havent heard that one before

***Keep plodding***
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 11th May 18, 10:25 PM
    • 15,968 Posts
    • 193,129 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Havent heard that one before
    Flip beanie - you just made me feel old!

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th May 18, 10:28 PM
    • 54,049 Posts
    • 214,203 Thanks
    beanielou
    I think we are probably about the same age!!

***Keep plodding***
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 11th May 18, 10:29 PM
    • 15,968 Posts
    • 193,129 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    I think we are probably about the same age!!
    You're 21 as well, fabulous x

(if only my eldest child was not 28!)
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 11th May 18, 10:36 PM
    • 15,968 Posts
    • 193,129 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    Mr SSM said bed.... who am I to argue.

Night x
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th May 18, 10:37 PM
    • 54,049 Posts
    • 214,203 Thanks
    beanielou
    Mr SSM said bed.... who am I to argue.

Night x

***Keep plodding***
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 12th May 18, 9:03 AM
    • 6,207 Posts
    • 6,651 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Good morning to you all.

Just done my weekly weigh and am delighted and astonished to report -8lbthis week !

Admittedly 5,5lb of that will be the 'bloat' that I put on when off plan away, but as that had taken a fortnight to put on, I was expecting it to take at least a fortnight to shift. I knew I was being really good this week - drinking loads of water, loads of speed, few carbs and minimal syns but that loss has exceeded my expectations - it's even 1 lb more than my first week loss!

It's also taken me past my 4 stone mark and into a new stone value on the scales - so I'm feeling rather pleased with myself today.

Plan for today

B: kipper with 2 small slices wholemeal bread (HEXB)
    L: chicken salad
    D: HM cottage pie

Snacks: easy peelers, red pepper, HEXA cheese
    Syns: 2 for oil for pie, possibly 5.5 for a kit kat
    • Abbafan1972
    • By Abbafan1972 12th May 18, 9:53 AM
    • 5,214 Posts
    • 169,054 Thanks
    Abbafan1972
    Stoke - very good to read your story and nice to see things from a male perspective. Sorry to hear about what happened with your Fiancee.

After much deliberation, I have decided to stop going to group. I got to target, was there for a few months, went on a holiday, came out of target and have struggled to get back in again. With it costing me 4.95 a week, just couldn't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Am still going to follow the plan, as I don't want to end up having to re-join group with my tail between my legs and look at all those "I told you so" faces. I was on the social team, doing the weighing, which I enjoyed as it was nice to chat to the members, but as you do it for nothing, I think you get taken for granted, as the group can't operate without the social team doing all the other stuff. Now I have my Saturday mornings back.

Anyway, there were quite a few men in the group and their weight losses were generally quite good, the most loss I had seen was 10lb!
    Weight on 01/08/15 - 17st 5lb
    Target weight - 10st
    Target reached - 20/05/17

Greatest Loser for SW group 2016, 2017 & 2018
    Woman of the year for SW group 2016 & 2017
    • TakeItEazy
    • By TakeItEazy 12th May 18, 10:32 AM
    • 2,288 Posts
    • 15,359 Thanks
    TakeItEazy
    Morning all, the TIE household is exhausted.com its amazing how much we are missing our car this week. Im ok with walking as not to far from work but my son has really struggled mainly with his feet, lots of blisters . So hubby has tried really hard to be about to take him and has stayed up late to collect him (luckily on lates this week so could lay in).

WI with gain of 1.4lb , I know its not food related as been on track so must be all the walking. Monday - Friday I have done 54,327 steps, sounds good but am in quite a lot of discomfort as triggered sciatica . So today I am mostly resting with a good book (after I walk the dog ).

Nice to see you Stoke, great to get a male view. Might help my son get motivated if I tell him how well you are doing

Have a good weekend all, enjoy the sunshine while its here ( if you have it) rain forecast later here
    Its not what you do but the way that you do it, thats what get results
    Keep the Faith All

Heartbroken 12.12.13
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th May 18, 10:42 AM
    • 54,049 Posts
    • 214,203 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good morning to you all.

Just done my weekly weigh and am delighted and astonished to report -8lbthis week !

Admittedly 5,5lb of that will be the 'bloat' that I put on when off plan away, but as that had taken a fortnight to put on, I was expecting it to take at least a fortnight to shift. I knew I was being really good this week - drinking loads of water, loads of speed, few carbs and minimal syns but that loss has exceeded my expectations - it's even 1 lb more than my first week loss!

It's also taken me past my 4 stone mark and into a new stone value on the scales - so I'm feeling rather pleased with myself today.

Plan for today

B: kipper with 2 small slices wholemeal bread (HEXB)
    L: chicken salad
    D: HM cottage pie

Snacks: easy peelers, red pepper, HEXA cheese
    Syns: 2 for oil for pie, possibly 5.5 for a kit kat
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    Great loss
    Well done on the 4 stone & being down into another stone

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,683Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin