Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • James Blonde
    • By James Blonde 7th May 18, 12:11 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 4Thanks
    James Blonde
    Mini dealer not taking large card payments
    • 7th May 18, 12:11 PM
    Mini dealer not taking large card payments 7th May 18 at 12:11 PM
    I'm finding something very odd with this, but it could be that the rules have changed since I last bought a car with cash, so thought I'd run it past here....

We put a deposit on a used Mini at the weekend (credit card), with the intention of paying the majority in cash (~8K), 1.5K as trade in, and the rest on a 0% credit card, which we have successfully applied for.

At the time, the dealer mentioned that they needed the money for the car 2 days up front, and that the best option was to do a bank transfer. Hmm.... ok..... I've done this in the past using a card, but OK....

We called them today to see if we could get the delivery date for the car put back whilst we wait for the card to be delivered. The salesman told us at that point that they no longer take payments over £2000 on cards of any kind - credit or debit.

As I said, this is a main Mini dealer

Why am I feeling uneasy about this? Should I be? It all seems very odd... I mean cash buying a car can't be so unusual, surely? Or is this down to changes in anti-money laundering regulations or something? (but then why would a bank transfer be any different?)
Page 2
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 7th May 18, 7:50 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    Deastons
    Considering how over priced Minis are for what they offer
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    I see Minis everywhere, so I'd say they're priced about right.
    • James Blonde
    • By James Blonde 7th May 18, 11:05 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    James Blonde
    No, the dealer didn't make it clear up front, despite us being pretty clear that we'd be paying around £4K on the credit card. They only told us they wouldn't accept any more than £2K today - 2 days later. We're not even sure if that includes the £500 deposit we paid. So not particularly impressed.

Transferring money from CC to current account could work - will look at that as a potential work around.

However as a few people have said, I've paid £10-15K to car dealers on my debit card in the past, my wife has done the same. What's suddenly changed?? Seems odd NOT to accept the most common form of payment now, and only accept the most risky with no comeback from a customers point of view? Is it because we didn't take their credit? Are they setting themselves up more as credit dealers than car dealers, and will punish those that don't take it??
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th May 18, 8:36 AM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    No, the dealer didn't make it clear up front, despite us being pretty clear that we'd be paying around £4K on the credit card. They only told us they wouldn't accept any more than £2K today - 2 days later. We're not even sure if that includes the £500 deposit we paid. So not particularly impressed.

Transferring money from CC to current account could work - will look at that as a potential work around.

However as a few people have said, I've paid £10-15K to car dealers on my debit card in the past, my wife has done the same. What's suddenly changed?? Seems odd NOT to accept the most common form of payment now, and only accept the most risky with no comeback from a customers point of view? Is it because we didn't take their credit? Are they setting themselves up more as credit dealers than car dealers, and will punish those that don't take it??
    Originally posted by James Blonde
    Itís been like that for a while.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 8th May 18, 8:59 AM
    • 16,911 Posts
    • 10,059 Thanks
    motorguy

Its simply the change in legislation that came in to force earlier in the year. They now cant charge extra to cover fees for credit / debit cards so many have adapted a blanket ban approach and simply accept bank transfers.

As i've said the simplest way round it is for you to draw down the money from your credit card to your current account and move it across.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 8th May 18, 9:40 AM
    • 10,106 Posts
    • 11,359 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    I suppose it's legal if you agree to it, I did as the 2% charges were more than offset by the 0% credit card savings compared to a bank loan at 6%....
    Originally posted by Paradigm
    Even if you agree to it, the charges are still illegal as you can't sign away your statutory rights and it's now stated in law that any card charges can't be passed on to consumers.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 8th May 18, 9:47 AM
    • 24,350 Posts
    • 51,456 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    I see Minis everywhere, so I'd say they're priced about right.
    Originally posted by Deastons
    Because no one ever paid over the odds for something because it was fashionable.
    • davidwood681
    • By davidwood681 8th May 18, 10:44 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 1,075 Thanks
    davidwood681
    Don't really blame the dealers.

Why should it cost them because you decided to use borrowed money from someone else.

They either increase prices, which the public will complain about, or they don't take the cards (which the public will complain about)

The first option does less damage.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 8th May 18, 11:18 AM
    • 16,911 Posts
    • 10,059 Thanks
    motorguy
    Because no one ever paid over the odds for something because it was fashionable.
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    They're overpriced for what they are, however enough people are prepared to pay extra for what a MINI offers - just like Samsung and Apple phones, etc.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th May 18, 12:15 PM
    • 20,446 Posts
    • 16,233 Thanks
    agrinnall
    What's suddenly changed??
    You've been told multiple times what's changed, so read the replies properly. I expect this to become the norm (if it isn't already), and the only dealers who will take credit cards for large payments are those that have already hiked their prices to take the fees they need to pay into account, which of course means all of their stock would be overpriced whatever payment method is used.
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 8th May 18, 12:33 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    caprikid1
    You are effectively asking for a last minute £200 discount, how would you feel if the dealer put the price up £200 last minute. Why should the dealer take the hit ? I appareciate there has been some confusion.
    • James Blonde
    • By James Blonde 8th May 18, 1:05 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    James Blonde
    but we didn't ask for a last minute £200 discount - we were up front all along about how we were going to pay for the car, and in what amounts. It was 2 days after taking the deposit that they told us they wouldn't accept our discussed method of part payment.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback all
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,568Posts Today

8,914Users online

Martin's Twitter