Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 7th May 18, 10:59 AM
    • 4,116Posts
    • 5,844Thanks
    Half_way
    Big pothole, flat tyre :(
    • 7th May 18, 10:59 AM
    Big pothole, flat tyre :( 7th May 18 at 10:59 AM
    I hit a large pothole, on a country lane near Kinver edge ( West Midlands/Staffordshire) and now have a flat tyre ( alloy wheel)
    I returned to the pothole and took a photo ( the pothole is marked in red marker paint) and now i'm off to try and find somewhere to repair the puncture.
    Is it possible to claim the damage/repair bill from the council?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
Page 1
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 7th May 18, 11:15 AM
    • 13,924 Posts
    • 18,311 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 7th May 18, 11:15 AM
    • 7th May 18, 11:15 AM
    Have a gander at this...

https://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/advice/pothole-damage-how-to-claim
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 7th May 18, 11:50 AM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 7th May 18, 11:50 AM
    • 7th May 18, 11:50 AM
    Thanks, i reported it via the Staffordshire county council website, and it would appear that there is another report of the same pothole its listed as
    Potholes, Fault catergorised by inspector, Awaiting works to fix the fault - ref 4069898

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 7th May 18, 4:01 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 7th May 18, 4:01 PM
    • 7th May 18, 4:01 PM
    If the repair has already been highlighted and is to be fixed within a reasonable timeframe, your claim for damage may fail as the highways authority are allowed a reasonable timeframe to effect repairs.
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 8th May 18, 8:32 PM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 8th May 18, 8:32 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:32 PM
    Repair done, and while it was only 60, it still left a hole in the pocket.
    i will try and contact Staffordshire county council and see what happens.
    Fortunately its only left me with a bad feeling, some lost time, and a lighter pocket.
    If I had hit this on my bicycle the outcome could have been much worse,
    I took a photo of the pothole, which was marked ( in very worn and faded) red marker paint - it really should have been barrier protected as the road is also popular with cyclists

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,198Posts Today

8,721Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin