Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 7th May 18, 10:34 AM
    • 5,010Posts
    • 6,500Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    Amazon...
    • 7th May 18, 10:34 AM
    Amazon... 7th May 18 at 10:34 AM
    I purchased an electrical item from Amazon back in August last year. It developed a fault in October and Amazon led me to the manufacturer's support site which was a faff to navigate but eventually triggered a call back to discuss the matter. They replaced the item under warranty.

The second item has gone wrong and this time I went back to Amazon directly and bypassed their pathway to the manufacturer as I am not happy to have two items go wrong.

I have to say the customer experience was really good although conducted by web chat. The net result being they have told me to send the second faulty item back and have created a return label for the package for a full refund and they also gave me a £20 voucher off any future Amazon only purchases for inconvenience!
    Last edited by A Flock Of Sheep; 07-05-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Page 1
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 7th May 18, 11:36 AM
    • 14,383 Posts
    • 55,966 Thanks
    joansgirl
    • 7th May 18, 11:36 AM
    • 7th May 18, 11:36 AM
    I purchased an electrical item from Amazon back in August last year. It developed a fault in October and Amazon led me to the manufacturer's support site which was a faff to navigate but eventually triggered a call back to discuss the matter. They replaced the item under warranty.

The second item has gone wrong and this time I went back to Amazon directly and bypassed their pathway to the manufacturer as I am not happy to have two items go wrong.

I have to say the customer experience was really good although conducted by web chat. The net result being they have told me to send the second faulty item back and have created a return label for the package for a full refund and they also gave me a £20 voucher off any future Amazon only purchases for inconvenience!
    Originally posted by A Flock Of Sheep
    Yeah, one of the reasons I use Amazon a lot is because their returns/refund system is usually good. I've had problems with stuff in the past and they've always refunded me with no hassle at all.

I think if Amazon then have problems getting the money off the supplier they chuck them off the site.
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 7th May 18, 2:04 PM
    • 3,965 Posts
    • 12,972 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 7th May 18, 2:04 PM
    • 7th May 18, 2:04 PM
    Likewise, good, no hassle experiences with Amazon returns.
    Only happened a few times, but it's been painless.
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • colinw
    • By colinw 7th May 18, 2:34 PM
    • 53,047 Posts
    • 146,937 Thanks
    colinw
    • 7th May 18, 2:34 PM
    • 7th May 18, 2:34 PM
    They have always been OK with me, even though I am sure they tricked me into taking out Prime a few weeks ago but maybe that was my own stupidity they did sort it out when I bought a very iffy battery from a third party seller a few years back...reminds me I need to get as much as I can before my Months up on Prime
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 7th May 18, 2:48 PM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 6,500 Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    • 7th May 18, 2:48 PM
    • 7th May 18, 2:48 PM
    Because the item is fairly old. Well past Amazon's own 30 day return period, and the fact strictly speaking when I look at the item for assistance the button leads me to the manufacturer's support site I thought Amazon would brush it off and send me away.

I was so pleasantly surprised. Plus the £20 voucher off my next "sold by Amazon" item was a real customer service "delighter".
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 7th May 18, 2:57 PM
    • 4,648 Posts
    • 6,013 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 7th May 18, 2:57 PM
    • 7th May 18, 2:57 PM
    I've returned 3 items, and never had any trouble, but I recall seeing someone on TV who had had his account closed for returning too much. It would be interesting to know how much.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 7th May 18, 3:17 PM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 6,500 Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    • 7th May 18, 3:17 PM
    • 7th May 18, 3:17 PM
    I've returned 3 items, and never had any trouble, but I recall seeing someone on TV who had had his account closed for returning too much. It would be interesting to know how much.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    I have returned items before but only if unsuitable and unsused or damaged.

A couple of vinyl records for example because when opened the recipient, my nephew, discovered they were quite badly warped even though brand new. A book that had pages falling out and also a glass jar that was broken on arrival.

And now this item. But if the items are faulty then it's a shame Amazon would throw someone off. So far I have had no email to say I am being thrown off Amazon.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 8th May 18, 2:37 PM
    • 7,986 Posts
    • 11,755 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 8th May 18, 2:37 PM
    • 8th May 18, 2:37 PM
    Another here who has experienced excellent customer service from Amazon
    They're not always the cheapest, but I don't mind occasionally paying a little more because I know if there's any problem their CS will resolve it swiftly and hassle-free
    Last edited by jackieblack; 08-05-2018 at 3:07 PM. Reason: typo
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 8th May 18, 2:51 PM
    • 38,578 Posts
    • 142,631 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 8th May 18, 2:51 PM
    • 8th May 18, 2:51 PM
    They have always been OK with me, even though I am sure they tricked me into taking out Prime a few weeks ago but maybe that was my own stupidity they did sort it out when I bought a very iffy battery from a third party seller a few years back...reminds me I need to get as much as I can before my Months up on Prime
    Originally posted by colinw
    It's not you, I'm sure.

The same thing happened to me about a year and a half ago.

I can't remember what I did, but it was something innocuous like clicking on Go to Checkout!

Couldn't work out how to cancel it, so did the month's trial, bought a few things to get the free delivery, then cancelled it a week before it ended, so that they wouldn't have any excuse for activating my direct debit.

It was very good, but I didn't think I could justify the expense for the number of purchases I was likely to make.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 8th May 18, 3:54 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 527 Thanks
    Tallaght
    Amazon prime video has gone very poor.Netflix is much better.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 9th May 18, 9:57 AM
    • 11,277 Posts
    • 30,127 Thanks
    suki1964
    I just landed myself with Prime as well

To be fair I wanted something delivered tomorrow and it was that or pay a fortune for delivery

I have a reminder to cancel a week before it ends

Just had a look at prime and tbh theres sod all there that interests me. I thought the Pantry would be worth a look, sorry but I can get most of what I want cheaper locally

The free films and boxes are free for a reason - on other platforms already

And I prefer a real book to reading on a screen

So unless I decide to max my credit card out buying a load of tat I really don't need, for the free month its as much use to me as a chocolate teapot
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 9th May 18, 10:01 AM
    • 6,206 Posts
    • 20,381 Thanks
    indesisiv
    Originally posted by colinw
    The best thing with the prime trial is that you can cancel it in advance rather than having to wait until near the end date.
    And give it a month or 2 and you can have another free trial.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • colinw
    • By colinw 9th May 18, 10:43 AM
    • 53,047 Posts
    • 146,937 Thanks
    colinw
    The best thing with the prime trial is that you can cancel it in advance rather than having to wait until near the end date.
    And give it a month or 2 and you can have another free trial.
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    This was not a trial, I have had a couple of them and thought this was another but no I signed up for it! I will get some stuff in the Month and then cancel it...
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 9th May 18, 11:32 AM
    • 14,493 Posts
    • 27,511 Thanks
    onlyroz
    I've returned a few Amazon items over the years - some of them after several month of ownership - and they've always refunded or replaced with no questions asked.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

2,018Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin