Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stokesley
    • By stokesley 7th May 18, 10:30 AM
    • 217Posts
    • 283Thanks
    stokesley
    Crocosmia Lucifer Bulbs/Corms
    • 7th May 18, 10:30 AM
    Crocosmia Lucifer Bulbs/Corms 7th May 18 at 10:30 AM
    I planted these about 6 weeks ago, and no sign of any growth above ground yet.

Do any of you excellent people have any idea when I should start to see signs of life? If it makes any difference, I'm in the tropics of East Anglia.
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th May 18, 6:22 AM
    • 25,023 Posts
    • 92,535 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 8th May 18, 6:22 AM
    • 8th May 18, 6:22 AM
    I'm hoping that they will just take a little more time to wake up than those already established in the garden, which should definitely be showing by now.

That's because someone gave me crocosmias in the autumn, which I planted into a couple of large pots and didn't protect beyond placing under a bush. They're not showing yet.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th May 18, 12:33 PM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 3,503 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 8th May 18, 12:33 PM
    • 8th May 18, 12:33 PM
    I have some that have been in the ground for years. They are only just through the ground.

Your corms will have to develop roots before any top growth so will probably take a bit longer to show.
    • stokesley
    • By stokesley 8th May 18, 3:32 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    stokesley
    • 8th May 18, 3:32 PM
    • 8th May 18, 3:32 PM
    Very many thanks to you both for taking the time and trouble to reply; I shall just have to be patient.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 8th May 18, 6:46 PM
    • 2,722 Posts
    • 3,889 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 8th May 18, 6:46 PM
    • 8th May 18, 6:46 PM
    Crocosmia bulbs do take a long time to get going.

If you don't mind paying the extra, you'll be able to buy pots of plants from garden centres in a couple of months or so time.
    • stokesley
    • By stokesley 11th May 18, 6:01 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    stokesley
    • 11th May 18, 6:01 PM
    • 11th May 18, 6:01 PM
    I'm hoping that they will just take a little more time to wake up than those already established in the garden, which should definitely be showing by now.

That's because someone gave me crocosmias in the autumn, which I planted into a couple of large pots and didn't protect beyond placing under a bush. They're not showing yet.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Go outside and have a look at your pots, Dave. I have one (very small) shoot today
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th May 18, 9:39 PM
    • 25,023 Posts
    • 92,535 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 11th May 18, 9:39 PM
    • 11th May 18, 9:39 PM
    Go outside and have a look at your pots, Dave. I have one (very small) shoot today
    Originally posted by stokesley
    I have them by the path now, but still nothing.......
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,105Posts Today

9,044Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin