Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jewels&binoculars
    • By Jewels&binoculars 7th May 18, 8:48 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Jewels&binoculars
    Help! Concrete house?
    • 7th May 18, 8:48 AM
    Help! Concrete house? 7th May 18 at 8:48 AM
    Hi all.

My husband and I viewed a house we liked (and, more importantly, can actually afford!!) and are seeking advice before going forward. The house is ex local authority and I suspect it is made of concrete, which I've read can be difficult to mortgage. Does anybody have any knowledge about this?

The house we are interested in is this one:
    /property-for-sale/property-54054987.html

The house next door is here (just sold):
    /property-for-sale/property-66760607.html

And another house 5 doors down for sale is here:
    /property-for-sale/property-63995710.html

From looking at these properties, is anyone able to tell me what type of concrete is used/what construction methods? And what kind of questions I should be asking when I arrange our second viewing? Finally, it looks like the chimneys are made of brick, ddoes this suggest the houses are partly brick? I have no knowledge about any of this whatsoever, so advice would be greatly appreciated!
Page 3
    • Dan83
    • By Dan83 8th May 18, 9:43 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Dan83
    I bought an ex council concrete mid terrace house in August 2011.

Knocking external walls down and putting curtains rails up is a pain, but other then that, no other problems.

Never had a problem getting a mortgage on it either.
    • Plus
    • By Plus 8th May 18, 10:01 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 288 Thanks
    Plus
    Looking up the EPCs for that postcode, most of them say either 'insulated cavity' or 'cavity, as built, uninsulated' with lots of '(assumed)'. However number 19 says 'system built', as do some of the others.

Some people have been FOIing councils to get their lists of non-traditional properties - however it looks like Vale of the White Horse council had no data:
    https://www.bisfhouse.com/local-authority-non-traditional-housing-stock-lists/

Looking at some streetview pictures, I see the ones that are grey render seem to have a line along the top of the ground floor windows that runs the length of the terrace. For instance, here:
    https://goo.gl/maps/rALyG74TMbp

I wonder if they are some kind of large panel system concrete? However I can't seem to find a picture that matches: LPS often have vertical as well as horizontal panel lines on the render.
    • stator
    • By stator 9th May 18, 11:10 AM
    • 6,605 Posts
    • 4,447 Thanks
    stator
    I'm pretty sure that's just a drip line / flange. I'm not sure what the name is, but it makes rain drip off instead of running down and around the windows.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,988Posts Today

7,076Users online

Martin's Twitter