Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 6th May 18, 11:28 PM
    • 4,102Posts
    • 26,244Thanks
    allydowd
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 7th May?
    • 6th May 18, 11:28 PM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 7th May? 6th May 18 at 11:28 PM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 1

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 93.01 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
Page 4
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th May 18, 9:26 AM
    • 3,509 Posts
    • 30,038 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all

Managed a decent night of sleep and have made sure all of my house jobs are done so that I can relax and unwind for the rest of the day.

I'm struggling to get nsds - just goes to show how out of the loop I was with my money. As my situation has changed so rapidly I'm just taking a while to get into it and having to go along with things that I'd already planned etc. amd life doesn't stop.

Anyway, I've already done a load of washing and hung it all out, but it looks a bit grey so I hope the rain holds off.
    It's my nephew's birthday so I've put him some in a card (as he's a teenager, that's about all he wants these days). Also sorted ds lunch money for next week while I was on.
    Popped into town to pick up a couple of parcels that I'd had cards for during the week - didn't go to any shops and made myself a coffee once I got home. Small things.

Dawn, I hope you stave off that lurgy and get your op on Monday as planned. I am desperately upset about the state of the nhs and trying to get anything when you need it. Blimming government.
    DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 12th May 18, 10:08 AM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 23,345 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

Well I'm up (not dressed yet) still got a stoking cold and bad head, DH and DS have gone to footie tournament so I'm just going to take it easy today as have my gym/physio review on Thursday and would love to be free of this cold. Today we will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    RM Survey - Done
    Strip our bed, wash and line dry -
    Sit in garden -
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    Surveys -
    Swagbucks -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, FPL, WinaDinner -
    Read -
    Knit -

Have a great day all.

C x
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make 5 per day in Jan 18: 491.91/155 Make 5 per day in Feb 18: 51.40/140 Make 5 per day in Mar 18: 150.36/155 Make 5 per day in Apr 18: 93.25/3150 Make 5 per day in May 18: 8/155
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 12th May 18, 11:38 AM
    • 4,102 Posts
    • 26,244 Thanks
    allydowd
    Work with a cherry BRANDY on top

Fixed it
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    Pahahaha. Unfortunately my workplace is 'dry'.

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th May 18, 5:23 AM
    • 2,159 Posts
    • 14,609 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Hope everyone is ok. Up early again, hoping for a nap later DH is working overtime today, all helps

Other things:

Folks coming over for the day, will make something for lunch and dinner and some gifted rhubarb in a crumble for pudding
    Get School bags ready and make tomorrow's lunches
    Peg out of it brightens up later
    Go for a walk, hoping to go to see some blue bells
    Batch cook some things for work lunches
    Use last of defrosted egg whites in omlette for breakfast
    Small to prepaid swimming lessons
    Check for surveys - done and cashed out on pr0lific
    Check house insurance renewal

Enjoy your Sunday peeps. Purps
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th May 18, 8:05 AM
    • 3,509 Posts
    • 30,038 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all

Another quiet day for me, which is lucky as ds woke me up early - shouting at his Xbox.

Today I'm tutoring, then off to my mam's with the kids for a catch up and a free feed. Finish up the washing so we're all ready for school in the morning. Might bag a spend free day (fingers crossed)

Ziggy - get well soon.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 13th May 18, 9:54 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 4,005 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Morning everyone

Up early but haven't really done anything yet except sort the dishwasher out.

Sporting event yesterday, need to update spends book as I had to drag myself to the supermarket first thing as they were out of one of the cat items the day before......they are struggling to get stock in of certain items at the minute but it is a nuisance as the cats only like a specific type of litter.....the cheap and cheerful I'm pleased to say. Have trained the cats well in mse ways!!!!!

Some bits to go out on the line and then I need to strip my bed.

Just about to start cat cleaning.

Clean upstairs including bathroom.
    Hopefully do a paintwork touch up......one thing u can rely on with a wheelchair.....destruction to ur doorframes!!!!!!

Weather looks nice out today but still going to put a leek and potato soup on later in slow cooker

Just do some paperwork that I have done my best to avoid, might do some later and some in the morning

Must write to old uni friend.....very behind on this. Friend likes a good old fashioned pen and paper letter and tbh it's nice to get one back,.

I think that's about it from me now, have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=359.51
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 13th May 18, 12:56 PM
    • 3,085 Posts
    • 23,345 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Afternoon All

Dawn - Hope all goes well tomorrow? How long will you be out of action?

Feeling a little brighter than yesterday. Today we will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Shopping with list - Done
    Potter in garden - a few plants to plant and weeds to be removed -
    Walk -
    Sit in garden -
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    Surveys -
    Swagbucks -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, FPL, WinaDinner -
    Read -
    Knit -

Have a great day all.

C x
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make 5 per day in Jan 18: 491.91/155 Make 5 per day in Feb 18: 51.40/140 Make 5 per day in Mar 18: 150.36/155 Make 5 per day in Apr 18: 93.25/3150 Make 5 per day in May 18: 8/155
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 13th May 18, 3:20 PM
    • 1,529 Posts
    • 11,704 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Afternoon folks!

Dawn - good luck for tomorrow

Had a non-genius moment last night by poisoning myself with my own dinner. Had friends over and had cooked a pasta-free veggie lasagne. I used courgettes for the "pasta". Unfortunately, I am allergic/intolerant to raw/lightly cooked courgette and it obviously wasn't incinerated enough. Cue me feeling very unhappy until 2-3am

Told my boss I wasn't coming in but had slept enough and perked up enough by 11am to make it. Good job as there's loads to do.

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores. OH to use up left over lasagne gubbins - done
    • Ask OH to sort travel insurance - done
    • Water garden - done
    • Watered hanging basket with dehumidifier water - done
    • Washing out on line to dry - done
    • Carry on with commission sock - done
    • Reconcile budget sheet - done
    • No alcohol. Tummy def too tender! - done
    • Put washing away
    • Print out holiday related things, boarding passes etc - done
    Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 14-05-2018 at 8:31 AM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 9433.44
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th May 18, 5:12 PM
    • 4,028 Posts
    • 20,730 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi Frugal Friends,
    I don't feel I've contributed much this week & as meetings seem to have taken up a lot of my time, I'm also behind with budget tracking, household admin & everyday stuff. I have just written a challenging job list for tomorrow & intend to get off to an early start to get back in control.
    I've still been reading & wish you all a good productive week ahead.
    Good luck tomorrow, Dawn, as I think it may finally be your op? Hope it goes well.
    I'm just going to enter a competition, then I'm going to slump on the sofa with the 'Observer' (free copy) & look forward to roast chicken & to catching up with the last 2 episodes of 'Salamander' tonight.
    Normal DFW service will resume tomorrow, promise x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 716-58
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 244
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 13th May 18, 5:34 PM
    • 801 Posts
    • 7,455 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Afternoon all,

Dawn, good luck for tomorrow, hope you've not sucumbed to the lergy!
    Clf, hope you are feeling ok now!

I didn't get round to posting yesterday so here's my weekends small things round up!
    * switched ds2s alarm clock off at the wall for the daytime
    * ys bread used for breakfasts
    * went to the park yesterday with the kids to play tennis for free
    * took the kids to the swimming pool for free today using clubcard vouchers
    * picked reserved books up from the library, one for me, two for ds1 and 1 for ds2
    * had brunch at my folks after swimming then we went for a walk round the marina and called in at the supermarket to get ice creams - 4 for 1.10 rather then spend more then twice that for a single one at the local shops
    * made families lunches for tomorrow
    * washed a load on the quick 30 degree wash and dried out on the line (have also put most of it away - just 2 items added to the ironing pile )
    * rented 2 films from sky tv using free vouchers from when we bought now tv boxes/passes - watched lego ninjago movie with kids and dh and I watched Murder on the Orient Express.
    * fridge use up for tea tonight, chicken, salad bits, new potatoes, pasta salad in there.

Thats about it.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th May 18, 6:34 PM
    • 5,000 Posts
    • 39,429 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Thanks for the good wishes - just hoping it doesn't get cancelled at the last minute I am not due to go in till 12.00 tomorrow, and should hopefully be allowed home the same day / evening at some point,and then am supposed to take it easy for 2 weeks or so... hmm, we will see! No doubt I will be bossing OH about re urgent gardening tasks at this time of the year! Managed to keep the lergy at bay in preparation, anyway

Not a great deal done today after my housework marathon yesterday and the day before. Went to a car boot this morning (2 in fact, as there is another one on the way home from the first one OH wanted to go to). Only bought a few bits to sell on, plus some foodie bits as there is a market attached to the first one, so there was cheap veg, fruit, cheese and bacon on offer Stopped off at Lidl and did the rest of the shopping on the way back. Didn't need much but OH wanted a bumper pack of beer, so more was spent than I had intended
    Did 2 loads of washing, one already dry, the other nearly so
    Watered pots in front garden
    Cooked dinner early as we didn't really have lunch, and my brother came over. Roasted lots of sorry veg from the fridge with a small bargainous gammon joint from the local butcher - from a local artisan producer / outdoor pig farm too, but sometimes the butcher gets hold of some small oddly shaped joints, which he sells off 2 for 5 or so. They aren't that small, as it fed 3 and there is enough for OH and I to have cold another day too
    Made a batch of oaty crumble mix (a bit like a flapjack topping) for the freezer. Used a few tablespoons to top off some apple and raspberry from the freezer for pudding

Still to do:
    Sort / fold dry washing and do a bit of ironing
    Pay milk bill online and check banks while I am at it
    Update spreadsheet with anything that has gone out of the bank plus today's grocery spends (stuff for selling on already accounted for in business records)
    Water any seedlings that need it

Better get on with some of that!
    NSDs for May: 3 / 19

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 13th May 18, 8:06 PM
    • 4,102 Posts
    • 26,244 Thanks
    allydowd
    Good luck Dawn.

• E11ie
    • By E11ie 13th May 18, 8:51 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    E11ie
    Hi everyone

Today I worked an overtime shift to go towards the debt repayments, it was also a NSD.
    Yesterday I finally got my broadband working and got a free month and 20 bill credit for the ongoing hassle - fingers crossed it continues to work.

My eBay sales all finished this evening so that's contributed to the de-cluttering another 139!!! heading towards the debt. Managed to resist another coffee at work too (only because the shop wasn't open at 7am!) so 2.50 into my savings pot.

Here's to cracking on with another week :-)
    Total debts 5432/5596 all currently on 0% interest
    Make 2018 in 2018 = 321
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th May 18, 9:48 PM
    • 3,509 Posts
    • 30,038 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Good luck tomorrow Dawn - I have everything crossed that it's done and dusted by tomorrow night...

Bagged my no spend day, and I earned a bit of cash from tutoring, and I got fed for free at my mam's house. All good. Now I just need an early night so I can try and sleep this headache off.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

1,407Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin