Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 6th May 18, 11:28 PM
    • 4,274Posts
    • 27,504Thanks
    allydowd
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 7th May?
    • 6th May 18, 11:28 PM
    What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 7th May? 6th May 18 at 11:28 PM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 30

Bold 100 Miles Bicycle Bonanza: 147.35km/160.93km
    Run 25 Miles for Sanity: 40.57km/40.23km Challenge complete

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
Page 2
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 8th May 18, 12:57 PM
    • 3,888 Posts
    • 33,299 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hi everyone

It's only lunchtime but I am absolutely shattered. Really pleased I came back on a quiet teaching day so that I could get a start on stuff.
    So far I have
    brought in my breakfast and lunch from home to save money and aim for a nsd.
    Checked my banking which is already far too scary for my liking this early on in the month
    written a to do list for work as there are a couple of big things I need to catch up on (like Parents Evening tomorrow)
    Not too much mse going on today - it's all about work.
    Ziggy - hope you're ok today.
    DNMS - enjoy the hols!
    Sunshine September #12 NSD 11 1 debt vs 100 days 262.01/1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 8th May 18, 2:50 PM
    • 4,274 Posts
    • 27,504 Thanks
    allydowd
    Hi May Moneysavers,

Stlll my weekend here

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Four:

* Work very hard on my own mental health issues. Do Holistrio App.

* Check online banking and broadband usage.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically.

* Celebrating my Debt Free Anniversary today with homemade waffles.

* Bought a SatNav. Sick of getting lost and wasting fuel.

To live without risk is to risk not living.
    Last edited by allydowd; 08-05-2018 at 2:57 PM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 30

Bold 100 Miles Bicycle Bonanza: 147.35km/160.93km
    Run 25 Miles for Sanity: 40.57km/40.23km Challenge complete

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • E11ie
    • By E11ie 8th May 18, 4:59 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    E11ie
    Hi Everyone

Can't believe Tuesday is nearly over, I worked yesterday and today which was a NSD - hard work given 2 people offered to pick me up an iced smoothie from Costa, especially given how hot it was. Anyway I was very proud to keep to my NSD goal and added another 2.50 to my resisted purchases savings pot lol. I also took healthy packed lunches in both days.

For the rest of the week I aim to:
    • Use the gym at least 3 times (1 trip done today) and fill my water bottle while there too
    • Take old clothes to be sold at a recycling place nearby - only 50p a kg but it all helps
    • Go and join the local library
    • Ring Vodafone AGAIN, as our previously intermittent internet is now no internet at all (3 days and counting, using my phone as a wifi hotspot right now) I will try and persuade them to credit my bill.
    • Do some baking to use up items in the cupboard
    • Post eBay sales
    • Update spreadsheet
    • Swagbucks

Hope you all have a good rest of the week
    Total debts 6471.03 / 5988 all currently on 0% interest
    Make 2018 in 2018 = 930
    Focus on 1% challenge = 60.50
    NSD September = 2 (so far)
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 8th May 18, 5:02 PM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 13,115 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    • Ring Vodafone AGAIN, as our previously intermittent internet is now no internet at all (3 days and counting, using my phone as a wifi hotspot right now) I will try and persuade them to credit my bill.
    Originally posted by E11ie

Good luck... I'm with Vodapants and I feel your pain.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 9433.44
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 8th May 18, 8:19 PM
    • 6,950 Posts
    • 40,848 Thanks
    determined new ms
    [*]Ring Vodafone AGAIN, as our previously intermittent internet is now no internet at all (3 days and counting, using my phone as a wifi hotspot right now) I will try and persuade them to credit my bill.
    Originally posted by E11ie
    I hate vodapants ( CLF!) but was with them for a decade. They took over 300 from my account - fair enough I went over my minutes but it was at a terrible time in our lives (our granddaughter came to live with us due to my daughter's illness and I was having to make a lot of calls because of the situation. We were broke and suddenly had 900 extra pcm to find to cover childcare costs. Their attitude stank.

I made them pay for it for about 3 years. Each year telling them I wanted to cancel as I HATED them. I got unlimited packages for about 6pm after that. Until this year and I terminated my relationship with them. Never again will they get a penny from me!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 8th May 18, 8:22 PM
    • 6,950 Posts
    • 40,848 Thanks
    determined new ms
    spudsmum just wanted to say try not to beat yourself up. It's like that, ups and downs. Once the bigger stuff is done you're in the long haul territory and need to find ways to keep motivated. That's why this small things thread was started, keep us all plodding on with a bit of camaraderie. Remember you are doing fantastically!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • E11ie
    • By E11ie 8th May 18, 8:30 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    E11ie
    Vodapants! AMAZING!!

This is just the latest in a looooong line of mistakes, such as sending a new phone to an old address that had been removed from my account a year previously, cutting off phone 1 when I requested they terminate phone 2 from the contract, then taking 3 days to reconnect it and charging 314 for an "early cancellation" fee. I could go on, I won't!!

I like the idea of making them PAY though, I was going to cancel my contract as soon as I can (November) but I will certainly try the "I hate you guys" route - it's true!
    Total debts 6471.03 / 5988 all currently on 0% interest
    Make 2018 in 2018 = 930
    Focus on 1% challenge = 60.50
    NSD September = 2 (so far)
    • Slytherin
    • By Slytherin 8th May 18, 10:55 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Slytherin
    I usually spend 4.95 per week on bottled water (the tap after at work is undrinkable) but I've found another shop with larger bottles for cheaper meaning I can now spend 2 per week and have more water for my buck! This will save me over 140 per year
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 9th May 18, 6:17 AM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 15,736 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all my early day for me so a quick post to keep me on the straight and narrow before I head out the door:

Hot drink for commute
    Lunch is left over tea from ast night as I couldn't finish it
    Tea will be yesterday's lunch
    Refilled bottled at home to take
    Some steps in at lunchtime with a walking group
    Get DH to take insurance form if he can, although he's sans car as it's having it's mot so I might have to do it tomorrow
    Check banking, update sheet
    Double check tonight I have the presents needed for all the May birthdays, cards from my stash
    Check nothing needs watering tonight
    Hopefully gym tonight as I don't want to be late Home as I'm in early (famous last words)
    Stick to food plan

Have a good day folks. Purps.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 9th May 18, 6:27 AM
    • 6,950 Posts
    • 40,848 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning purps Hope you have a great day! We're off airport bound around 10 but before we go I need to:

* make lunches/food to take
    * triage fridge, freeze anything that can be!
    * call school and mark madam as absent for the next week (luckily she is still 4 so apart from general disapproval nothing can be done!)
    * hang up load of washing done last night on clothes horse
    * go through mine and madam's hair with a fine toothed comb
    * repot my seedlings and give neighbour key to water for us
    * split & repot shop bought basil plant

Think that's it! We have got sandwiches, fruit, crisps and more fruit for the journey to stop oh from spending all our cash at the airport! We arrive at the airport around 9pm our time so hopefully it's enough for madam not to be starving!

Hope you all have a lovely week x
    Last edited by determined new ms; 09-05-2018 at 8:19 AM.
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 9th May 18, 8:14 AM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 13,115 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    I usually spend 4.95 per week on bottled water (the tap after at work is undrinkable) but I've found another shop with larger bottles for cheaper meaning I can now spend 2 per week and have more water for my buck! This will save me over 140 per year
    Originally posted by Slytherin

Could a water filter jug be an option? I bought a cheap one from Argos for the same reason

Or even petition the management for a water cooler?

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 9th May 18, 9:39 AM
    • 1,705 Posts
    • 13,115 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Hey folks

A quick drop-in as work very busy. Will add bits as I can.

Sad times this morning as the slugs/snails ate my last cucamelon seedling. Only 5 tomatoes remaining out of everything I tried to grow now

Right then... the list:

*B/L/D from stores - done
    *Gym at lunchtime - done
    *Check greenhouse. Bring pots in overnight.
    *Salted some more slugs and snails this morning. Will repeat this evening.
    *Charge phone in work - done
    *No alcohol
    *Asked OH to pop the washing out. Supposed to rain later but decided to
    chance it. - done
    *Messaged TSB to ask about the fact that pending transactions are just sitting around for days and not clearing. - done
    *Work out meal plan and shopping for next week
    *Think about what I want to do this weekend. I have several sewing projects outstanding that probably need looking at. I'll be honest... I'm not keen on sewing. I feel like I should be... but I kinda find it stressful.

URGH am still at work

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 09-05-2018 at 8:36 PM.

• thegirlinthegreenscarf
    • By thegirlinthegreenscarf 9th May 18, 11:55 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    thegirlinthegreenscarf
    Good Morning I know I am kind of on and off here sporadically, but today I cancelled by Equifax d/d. It was a total faff as I couldn't do it with my bank, I had to go online, reset my username/password to access my account. But I am now 2.99/month better off!
    MBNA (Was 2000), Now 1,441.22 (Expected date Dec/2019)
    CAR (Was 300) Now
    2,280 (Interest free loan from family member)

**Want to be on my way to being debt free for 40**
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 9th May 18, 11:57 AM
    • 3,217 Posts
    • 24,911 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

Woke up this morning with a stonking cold. Today we will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Pay bags of coins from DS's moneybox into Bank - Done
    Washing & line dry -
    Ironing -
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    Surveys -
    Swagbucks -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, FPL, WinaDinner -
    Read -
    Knit -

Have a great day all.

C x
    Make 5 per day Jan - June 18: 818.96/905.00 Make 5 per day July 18: 24.63/155 Make 5 per day Aug: 122.68/155 Make 5 per day Sept: 375.95/150
    • thegirlinthegreenscarf
    • By thegirlinthegreenscarf 9th May 18, 12:10 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    thegirlinthegreenscarf
    Hi all,

I'm also still here but nothing much to contribute. Just feel like, after a few good months, I've pretty much ground to a halt. Still plugging away but not seeming to get anywhere fast especially with debt repayments - I've only managed to pay off an extra 23 in the past couple of weeks which is a drop in the ocean against the 19k I owe. It's very tempting to throw in the towel and have a splurge but I'm not going to. I have noticed a few things sliding though - not being so strict with budgets and making little purchases here and there means I've not really managed any NSD's either. I'm mad at myself and determined to nip it in the bud ASAP.
    Originally posted by spudsmum

Don't be mad at yourself, its tiring being careful and 23 is better than none at all, And far better than making the situation worse. I went through some self-loathing about my situtation too, but it is not going to help. Just try to use it to help you focus on staying on track. I know you (we) have debt but maybe you need to allow yourself a small treat every so many weeks to help you stay focussed. Be kind to yourself.
    MBNA (Was 2000), Now 1,441.22 (Expected date Dec/2019)
    CAR (Was 300) Now
    2,280 (Interest free loan from family member)

**Want to be on my way to being debt free for 40**
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th May 18, 9:04 PM
    • 3,888 Posts
    • 33,299 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Wow 1LL - you sound as though you've had a hectic couple of days! I really hope that it's all good news in the end.
    Spudsmum - I just wanted to echo what DNMS said about once you're in for the long haul. It can get demotivating, but don't give up. You will get there.
    Ziggy - hope you feel better soon.
    I've had another busy day at work - less tired than I was yesterday but still plenty going on and not a quiet moment. It was Parents Evening tonight and I also had a meeting with the lovely lady who is going to look after our cats when we're away at the end of the month. By the time I was done it was after 8pm, and due to my poor planning the kids had convinced me to order takeaway for tea. That has scuppered my nsd and I'm a bit annoyed, but I am still finding my feet with my new way of life so trying to stay a bit kind to myself. (Sorry if that sounds like a cop out)
    Haven't gotten much other stuff done as I've been a bit too busy....
    Sunshine September #12 NSD 11 1 debt vs 100 days 262.01/1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • spudsmum
    • By spudsmum 10th May 18, 12:40 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    spudsmum
    Hi all!

Hope everyone has had a good day.

Thanks for the words of encouragement DNMS, girlinthegreenscarf and crazycatlady I'm feeling better today. Yes I'm in this for the long haul so I have to expect its not always going to be straightforward. I think because I've had a couple of spendy weeks (needed essential things for the house) and not much left out of weekly budgets thats hit my debt repayments hard and its gone from over paying 60 ish every week to about 10. I do know that things will improve but I find that when I feel a bit down like that I slip into old ways of buying bits and bobs - only a couple of pound here and there buf it makes a huge difference and just compounds the problem even more.

I'm a pessamist by nature but actually you are all right, instead of looking at what I havent achieved, I need to look at what I have achieved - for a start nearly 2k saved this year already - that I would normally have frittered away and not even thought about - that has instead been diverted to debt repayments and savings - I can feel proud of that.

Think I need to go back to basics and start doing my spending diary again as that always makes me think before I spend. Also making time to post on here regularly - I will get there!

So small things today:

Had a NSD!
    went to MIL's this evening and she fed all the kids so not used any of my food
    start mealplan for Friday shop - debating if its worth travelling to new giant Lidl in next town
    sort slug problem as theyre killing my veggies - gone with a beer trap initially so hope theyre getting merrily rat@rsed n leaving my veg alone
    done a few surveys
    planted more peas and beans to hopefully get a secnd crop
    start cleaning up highchairs ready to list on selling site this weekend.

The big news for today is: I've sold my double pram!! I'm really pleased as its a massive beast and takes up so much room. Had a couple of false starts with a timewaster but another lady picked it up as promised today - and she offered me 25 more than the timewaster too so - bonus. Got 125 in the end which I'm pleased with as it was bought for us so didnt cost us anything. That 125 will go in the pot for holiday activities - with half term coming up I'm trying to plan ahead to avoid blowing the budget.

Think thats about it for today - night all x
    Last edited by spudsmum; 10-05-2018 at 12:53 AM.
    Total debts 21050! now 18934.52 . 1% challenge 1641.25/15000 (10.94%) Total extra income made in 2018 2544.79 frugal budget 2018 6253/7600 Aiming for debt free at 40 - only 24 months to go!
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 10th May 18, 8:37 AM
    • 629 Posts
    • 4,887 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Not a lot to report from me....but I'm keeping the faith

Banking all checked and up to date.
    Currently going through a birthday phase, presents all previously bought in sales, and I have RM stamps to pay for postage......i just hate wrapping the things and parcelling them up so when they should arrive in plenty of time I'm still late with someone's birthday due to my allergy to sellotape and wrapping paper

Need to wait in for paint delivery, took advantage of the Wickes buy one get one free bank holiday paint deal so 1) being a house prisoner I will have to parcel up a birthday present and brave the sellotape and 2) get some housework done which i had planned to do yesterday and avoided 3)must do paperwork.

I can't remember who's suggestion it was but I pinched it. With the last of the detergent bottle I cut it in half and popped in the washing machine. Was surprised how much was in the bottle when cut in half despite having it upside down

Many thanks for the info foxglovesabout the cat food. I have an Aldi in the next town so when I'm next there I will pop in to get some esp as the oldest cat has started on long term meds and trying to disguise it in her normal food is not going too well.
    spudsmum please do not beat itself up. The long haul is the hardest bit and staying on the straight and narrow after can be a challenge. But we're all here to support you.

Those off on their holidays......have a fab time
    Ziggy sending hugs

Right off to get myself sorted and get the cat cleaning done.
    Have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 10th May 18, 9:52 AM
    • 3,217 Posts
    • 24,911 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

No sore throat today but still so bunged up and my head is pounding, so no gym for me today. Feeling a little overwhelmed this week (was the anniversary of my dads death on Monday) and tomorrow I'm taking my mum to respite - feeling so guilty that I need the break and just time to be me. Today's plans

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Dying a dress and jacket that I bought a few years ago for a wedding that I'll never wear again the colour it is, hopefully it'll be another outfit for the summer -
    More ironing -
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    Surveys -
    Swagbucks -
    Out for tea (taking mum, I think I might be compensating for tomorrow, does that make sense to anyone?) -
    Check: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, FPL, WinaDinner -
    Read -
    Knit -

Have a great day all.

C x
    Make 5 per day Jan - June 18: 818.96/905.00 Make 5 per day July 18: 24.63/155 Make 5 per day Aug: 122.68/155 Make 5 per day Sept: 375.95/150
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 10th May 18, 10:21 AM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 15,736 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all hugs to those that need it at the moment. Ziggy hope you're feeling better.

My list for today:
    5k run outside for fresh air and exercise - done
    Meals from stores, get something out of freezer for tea
    Make some meatballs with turkey in fridge and freeze
    Triage of fridge
    See if I can find a method to make yogurt in sc without a thermometer, if so put it on overnight
    Check banking
    Do a mock budget for what it would look like post remortgage before we sign up to a deal
    Look at some long term investment options and see if we can put a small amount across a few (we're a bit risk adverse here but feel like we should do something) will see if we can work into budget above
    Try and work out how to reduce our ever growing food budget, bluegh..... every time I go to the shops the prices seem to have gone up or packets got smaller.....

Best get on and not get distracted by lots of diaries on here
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

195Posts Today

1,552Users online

Martin's Twitter