Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 6th May 18, 5:05 PM
    • 2,534Posts
    • 36,220Thanks
    Natty68
    Weekly Flylady Thread 7th May 2018
    • 6th May 18, 5:05 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 7th May 2018 6th May 18 at 5:05 PM
    Welcome to the weekly Flylady thread. If you need help organising your week or getting motivated when it comes to housework then come and join us.

Thank you Valli for last week's thread

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

Bank Holiday Monday.
    Dailies
    Quick hoover
    Quick swish and Swipe
    Rest of day off
    Enjoy the glorious weather!!!

Twinkling Tuesday- Master bedroom and Landing
    Level One

Throw open windows and let that sun in!!!!
    Strip and wash bedding!
    Clear some floordrobe
    Level Two
    Clear landing floor.. or sort a hotspot out there!!
    Wash windows
    Vacuum floors
    Level Three
    Sort out shoes and coats and bags! etc
    Binbag dance
    HHI

Extras
    • Mend 2 things from your 'mend it' pile!!
    • Reorder and tidy a chest of drawers.. if there is anything to get rid of.. DO IT!!
    • Wash and put away any winter coats you shouldn't need for the next 5 months!!
    • Dust and deweb
    • Make sure those smoke alarms are working!!! (do not set fire to anything.. just press the button!!)
    • Go through your make up/nail varnish. Throw anything that has gone past it's shelf life or worse still has a life of it's own..

Wishy-washy Wednesday ~ Living Room, Hallway and Stairs
    Level One

Open those windows and let in the sun!!
    Declutter floors.. in all these areas!
    Sort through the coats and bags and shoes.. What can you fling?
    Level Two
    Clear the mantle and a hotspot and replace only what should be there!
    Wipe and water any plants and dust and deweb!
    Vacuum the floors!
    Level Three
    Empty a cupboard or drawer and fling all that is no longer needed and rehome anything that shouldnt be there!
    Wash any soft furnishings
    Wipe all the paintwork and all the doors!

Extras
    • Wash the windows if they need it
    • Binbag dance.. fling that rubbish!
    • Polish any mirrors and pictures and glassware
    • Replace any dead lightbulbs in the house.. and test those smoke alarms!!
    • Clean out smelly pets

Thrilling Thursday - Kitchen and Dining mess
    Level One

Let in the sun by opening those windows!
    Clear and wipe work surfaces
    Wipe and replace small appliances
    Level Two
    Empty cutlery drawer.. wash cutlery tray and replace everything neatly.. get rid of all the odds and
    sods that shouldn't be in there..
    Wipe the front of the units, kickboards and the large appliances
    Sweep and mop the floor
    Level Three
    Wipe dining table and replace cloth if needed
    Clean out the fridge, how about making a nice soup with the leftoever/slightly sorry looking
    vegetables…!!
    De-web and fluff the room

Extras
    • Wash the windows
    • Sort through the freezer.. what do you have loads of and what needs using first!!. Vacuum up those
    • escaping peas and brussels!!
    • Wipe down paintwork/sideboards/units in dining room
    • Meal plan for the next week and make a shopping list... based on what you found in the freezer.
    • Clean filters and detergent dispensers
    • HHI

Frantic Friday - Bathrooms and office/study type places.
    Level One

Open the windows and let the sun and fresh air in
    Clear the clutter from all these rooms!!
    Ring someone you love just to tell them so.. we never do this enough!
    Wash any curtains/blinds/mats etc that need doing
    Level Two
    Vacuum the floors
    Clean bath, toilets, shower and sinks
    Wipe down the tiles and defragment the pc while doing this.
    Level Three
    Declutter and dust the pc desk
    Wipe away cup rings and sticky things
    Wipe the keyboard, mouse, cables and sockets and suchlike.
    Clean the windows.

Extras
    HHI..I really need to do this!!
    Clear a hotspot
    Degunge around the bottoms of the taps!
    Wipe cupboards and polish mirrors!
    Do a DIY task that you have been putting off since time began.
    Last edited by Natty68; 10-05-2018 at 9:46 PM.

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
Page 4
    • marie2
    • By marie2 12th May 18, 6:25 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 1,272 Thanks
    marie2
    Dishwasher and washing machine run but that is all. Thank you Honey Bear for taking the time to help me despite your busy, stressful week.
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 12th May 18, 8:00 PM
    • 4,623 Posts
    • 38,727 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hoover ran around, duster flicked, bathroom floors washed, dog walked and some paid stuff done. A productive day.

Pigpen he will get an amount of money to buy holiday clothes and I know that he has saved some of his own money. Not sure of a suitable budget though, he has a few t-shirts and a couple of pairs of shorts but will need more. Dont go for ages yet so plenty of time.
    • Valli
    • By Valli 12th May 18, 8:08 PM
    • 20,710 Posts
    • 235,158 Thanks
    Valli
    Have had one of the most productive days for a l-o-n-g time.

Washing on line
    DW run and emptied
    Washed Vallimobile
    Watered hydrangea/camellia with miracle gro
    Rehomed stuff
    Ironed all laundry waiting to be ironed
    cleaned kitchen
    cleaned dining room
    cleaned living room
    cleaned hall
    cleaned bathroom
    cleaned ALL windows inside
    stripped and remade DS's bed
    vacuumed DS's room
    took bag of discarded shoes (DS's) to shoebank
    sorted other throwing into CS or to go into work
    Emptied all bins
    Filled washer with towels/dusters/cloths

and I decluttered a nap (having trouble sleeping atm)
    Last edited by Valli; 12-05-2018 at 8:11 PM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • mylastpound
    • By mylastpound 12th May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 346 Thanks
    mylastpound
    Had a super productive day cleaning. Did a full spring clean. Did it all today so I can start afresh next week and follow the flylady thread and do a bit each night. wont be such a chore then lol

Im shattered, ready for a nice glass of wine and eurovision now :-)
    3-6 Emergency Fund, No96: £1,000 / £2,000 - House Deposit: £11,000 / £11,000 - Holiday Fund: £100 / £1,300 -
    June 2018 Grocery Challenge £61.59 / £250
    • Valli
    • By Valli 12th May 18, 8:47 PM
    • 20,710 Posts
    • 235,158 Thanks
    Valli
    and I cleared little kitty cat 'gifts' from the back garden and washed out the extremely pongy green bin.

Go me!
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 12th May 18, 11:14 PM
    • 25,194 Posts
    • 101,511 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Was still in a good mood from dodging the dentist bullet yesterday, so enforced a kitchen takeover today. Started Himself off with pancakes with strawberries and lemon curd yoghurt - and, naturally, there was almost no sign of my having been in the kitchen when I finished. He washed up automatically.

Then tempted him with the prospect of some Caribbean cooking, which he helped with. As it's still not organised to my standards, he had to put up with my pinging around him as he chopped things up, but because I clean up as I go out of sheer habit, he noticed that the kitchen didn't look like a bomb had hit it by the time everything went on to cook - as i was cleaning down the countertop (having already scooted various packaging and remaining ingredients back into their homes), he was washing up without being 'told' or disappearing off to the settee.

I shall return control of the kitchen back to Himself tomorrow. But I am hoping that today has some effect.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 12th May 18, 11:17 PM
    • 36,864 Posts
    • 474,419 Thanks
    pigpen
    Pigpen he will get an amount of money to buy holiday clothes and I know that he has saved some of his own money. Not sure of a suitable budget though, he has a few t-shirts and a couple of pairs of shorts but will need more. Dont go for ages yet so plenty of time.
    Originally posted by YORKSHIRELASS
    I know she is a lot younger.. I just had to fill Squeaks summer wardrobe too.. she has a few tshirts but everything else was indecent.. her skirts and dresses all exposed her bottom if she bent over!! I felt bad telling her she had to put leggings on under everything.. so I got her some shorts and a couple of bigger summer dresses.. £60 in H&M I have just thrown everything bar the dress she wore today into her case to take to the outlaws at half term.. I figured with only 6 days of non-school uniform I could get away with that.

I've done very little today.. 2x WM, 2 loads hung out which are now being rained on lol.. TD x1 and DW x1.. got all the pans through so that cleared a big space on the work surface.

My kitchen has a smell.. I think it is a cat deposit.. whether it used to be alive or erupted forth from a derriere I don't know but OH is being sent excavating under the units tomorrow!!

I need to get the middle room habitable and jiggle the front room which has become a giant cupboard again. Donating the arm chairs to my uncle has left massive spaces in the front and middle rooms but the rooms are so littered with detritus they just depress me.. I may get the girls on task with them tomorrow, send DS2 shopping and have DS3 sort the kitchen.. I will have some order in here!

well, I'm now off to my nest.. OH not home yet but he has been finishing stupidly late and I just need to sleep.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/11/2018 £51894.38 (2.41% int.)
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 12th May 18, 11:24 PM
    • 5,376 Posts
    • 53,198 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I found my first Book Crossing book today! Yay!

Not much done except clearing up after cats and the dog. Digestion Problems R Us.
    Keeping it AF
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 13th May 18, 9:41 AM
    • 2,137 Posts
    • 31,057 Thanks
    dancemum
    HB hope cats and dog are better. So less clearing to do for you.

Sorry I haven!!!8217;t been posting. I have been sole carer for my father this week and part one for Mother. Old age is very cruel.

Did 10 mins in the garden here yesterday. DH did the lawns and ironing.

We are off to a park soon then back to parents!!!8217; home later.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 13th May 18, 10:10 AM
    • 36,864 Posts
    • 474,419 Thanks
    pigpen
    Well.. my total weightloss so far is 34.2lb... 16.42Kg!!! in 18 weeks. It is 101 days to our holiday so I should be a fair bit slinkier by then!!!

Todays mission which we have no choice but to accept is to clear and clean the downstairs of the hovel.. All 4 rooms are dire because it has been nice we have been out 3 days and done the bare minimum.. kitchen sides, WM, DW, loos.. but the floors are a mess...

I am aiming for at least 2 binbags for charity shop I think.. I want to clear the cupboard top in the back room, the floor and sofas in the middle and front room and get the baby toys sorted and shuffle furniture in the middle room..

DS2 .. is being sent shopping.. eggs, cheese, ham.. I might be truly mean and have him take Twinkle in the pushchair and DD3 to assist.. if they both go they can't fail to bring the baby home right?! I used to take my sister out in the pushchair from being about 11 or 12.. they should be trustworthy at 17 and 22 shouldn't they?

DS3 can vacuum the stairs and landings and bedrooms.. and I might have him mop the loo too.. Squeak has had several nosebleeds this week and while I cleaned up at the time I have since noticed tiny splashes of blood I missed..

I need to speak to the guy who owns next door too.. we need to jointly get the chimney sealed completely I think.. it rained last night and my back room fireplace is flooded and I can't imagine his is any better. I tried having it capped and sealed but it isn't doing any good.. we still have water ingress so I HAVE to get it sorted.. I have had no fire in there just an open flue for 4 years though so it is probably way past time it was fixed.

Onwards...
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 13th May 18, 10:38 AM
    • 795 Posts
    • 9,549 Thanks
    Fayolle
    So this morning I would appear to have:
    - decluttered the yo-yo 2lb again. That's half a stone since the beginning of the year. Better than nothing I guess.
    - set dw and wm running.
    - folded clean clothes, and WUALTD some left over bits from last night's dinner
    - wiped kitchen surfaces and swept the floor.
    Lots more to do as the house is a pit, but, having come over all 'strange' last night (dizzy, sweaty and generally not right), I'm taking it even slower than usual slowly as I'm still not feeling all there, ifyswim.
    Yesterday I managed a couple of hours weed clearance at the allotment, followed by a long walk while waiting for DD to finish riding. When I got back I decided to turn out the contents of the fridge to 'create' some batch cooking . So today I need to freezer shuffle to fit in a couple of veggie moussakas, a quiche and a pasta bake. DH is away with work for the week, so I made some into individual portions for me and DD to make life easier. I just need to play freezer tetris now...

((Hugs)), dancemum.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 13th May 18, 11:57 AM
    • 5,376 Posts
    • 53,198 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    (((Hugs))) Dancemum and Frodders. From experience looking after elderly parents is by far the toughest thing that needs doing. I was thinking you hadn't been posting much this week, either of you, so I'm glad you have Dancemum. You okay Frodders?

Stuff went to the CS yesterday at last; that pile's been languishing behind the dining room door for weeks. The kitten pen has been loaded into the car to be delivered back from whence it came and I've spent a couple of hours this morning returning the dining room and my office to near-normality, which I freely admit isn't perfect, but it's all looking fairly okay again. The useless babygate has been dismantled and will be going back up to the attic in a bit. WM twirling. All digestive systems are better/improving, thank goodness and none of them has resulted in carpet-scrubbing - a first.

The kittens are exhausted from all the help they've give me and are snoozing on the back of a sofa looking out at the birds feeding on the apple tree. Neither of them is phased by the washing machine and the boy doesn't mind the vacuum cleaner at all. Never met a cat that could cope with one before.

Now to go and deal with the shower room and maddening friend's bed - another man who doesn't shower and thinks that whacking on loads of aftershave is the answer to personal hygiene. :shudder: New guest tomorrow lunchtime so I want it all shipshape by then.
    Keeping it AF
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 13th May 18, 12:57 PM
    • 36,864 Posts
    • 474,419 Thanks
    pigpen
    HB.. one of my mothers cats loved to be vacuumed.. and swept with the yard brush!! None of mine have ever been bothered by it.. Twinkle is terrified!! She doesnt even like it when it is turned off!

everyone fed and watered.

DD3 went to shop with Twinkle.. then loaded the DW then put away 7 piles of laundry I had just folded. Squeak put away hers and all the girls underwear. Table wiped and cleared.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 13th May 18, 1:13 PM
    • 36,864 Posts
    • 474,419 Thanks
    pigpen
    I can't decide which room to tidy first..

The kitchen is nearest done.. guess I should finish that!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 13th May 18, 1:25 PM
    • 25,194 Posts
    • 101,511 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Himself ended last night by saying the food had been wonderful and wasn't it great that it didn't cause any mess in preparation. I was very nice despite my urge to batter him about the head with a saucepan and pointed out that during the process of cooking with him, I had;

Chucked onion skins
    Chucked onion root/trimmings
    Chucked sweet potato peel/trimmings
    Chucked an empty tin of coconut milk after rinsing
    Chucked an empty tin of pigeon peas after rinsing
    Chucked an empty tin of chopped tomatoes after rinsing
    Refilled the pepper grinder and put the refill bag back in the cupboard
    Put turmeric, chilli, cumin, Jamaican BBQ mix, allspice, sea salt, soy, korean sticky soy, ginger, thyme and sugar back in the cupboard
    Chucked the chicken packaging
    Chucked the sweet potato packaging
    Chucked the end of spring onions
    Chucked garlic skins
    Chucked okra trimmings
    Chucked lime after squeezing
    Chucked mixed leaves packaging
    Put the red chillis in the fridge
    Put fresh ginger in the fridge
    Cleaned the grater twice
    Wiped the countertop five times
    Wiped the hob twice
    Resealed and put the rice back in the cupboard
    Cleaned the sieve
    Sharpened two knives
    Cleaned two sharp knives four times in between separate ingredients
    Washed a metal spoon up
    Washed the squeezer used for the lime
    Washed the wooden spoon twice
    Discovered him putting a random quantity of rice on to boil with a random quantity of water when it has to be measured with coconut milk to precisely absorb without touching the lid once, so drained it, measured out the quantities correctly, got it going with aromatics and then washed the sieve, measuring cup and the inevitable splashes from having to do it that way when half the surface was covered with washing up that either needed to be repeated due to a halfarzed job being done last time or put away.
    Resealed and put the flat breads away
    Cleaned two chopping boards
    Wiped behind and under the toaster, kettle and counter storage bowls
    Got him to bring the foil down, covered the chicken so it didn't splutter over the inside of the oven and set off the smoke alarms when the door was opened and got him to put it back again immediately
    Done everything except chop up a couple of cloves of garlic, an onion and

This is really looking like an ongoing problem - I'm imagining having to do the thing I read in the Advanced Drivers' Manual where you're apparently supposed to say 'I am depressing the clutch, putting it into second gear, I am lifting my foot to engage second gear, I am looking to my right and see a grey vehicle approaching the junction at speed...' - only this time 'I am cutting the onion, I am putting the knife down, I am scooping the onion skin and root up, I am placing the onion skin and peel into the bin, I am picking the chopped onion up, I am walking to the hob...I am contemplating how to dispose of a body...'
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

• pigpen
    • By pigpen 13th May 18, 1:39 PM
    • 36,864 Posts
    • 474,419 Thanks
    pigpen
    Ooh Jojo.. you'd love me.. I chuck all the peelings and grot into an already dirty receptacle .. I don't even care what it is.. I use 1 knife for everything and one chopping board.. I do chop veg first if I am doing anything meaty.. I use the Swedish Chef method of measuring too.. ALL the stuff I am done with I put on the other work surface for whoever is bossed to load the DW to deal with.. I make a jolly old mess.. When OH cooks... I simply don't look then throw everything in the bin and command him to load the DW.. but he never cooks.. he is way too slow, makes too much mess and I make a much better job of it. How is his employment going??? I'm assuming he has commenced that now??

ok.. ok.. I'm moving... before I stick to the chair!!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 13th May 18, 2:43 PM
    • 25,194 Posts
    • 101,511 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Ooh Jojo.. you'd love me.. I chuck all the peelings and grot into an already dirty receptacle .. I don't even care what it is.. I use 1 knife for everything and one chopping board.. I do chop veg first if I am doing anything meaty.. I use the Swedish Chef method of measuring too.. ALL the stuff I am done with I put on the other work surface for whoever is bossed to load the DW to deal with.. I make a jolly old mess.. When OH cooks... I simply don't look then throw everything in the bin and command him to load the DW.. but he never cooks.. he is way too slow, makes too much mess and I make a much better job of it. How is his employment going??? I'm assuming he has commenced that now??

ok.. ok.. I'm moving... before I stick to the chair!!
    Originally posted by pigpen
    He starts tomorrow afternoon - hopefully, the guy coming to replace the doubleglazed unit will be here first thing as promised, or I'm going to have to plead for an hour off work to cover his start time (booked for 8am but not guaranteed until he's at the door, IMO).

Normally, I just chuck things straight into the bin or into the packaging and then into the bin because it's right beside me, but with Himself in the way there too, I had the chicken tray on the table and was dealing with everything he couldn't do because he was slowly cutting up garlic cloves. I generally use just one knife and was happily peeling garlic by thumping it with the bottom of the tin of coconut milk before he came in, only roughly measured the rice and liquids because burned coconut milk or sloppy rice & peas is absolutely disgusting (and I had it drummed into me by a friend's mum to never, never, ever lift the lid, even to peek at it).

With the morning pancakes, the extent of my measuring was counting one egg in the mix. It looked (and tasted _whistle_) like cake mix, so that'll do.

I'm probably a bit of a clean as you go nut because of 17 years spent cooking for 4 in a kitchen so small, you couldn't get anything out of the oven if you stood in front of it - you had to shut the kitchen door to the right and approach from the left - my worksurface consisted of a 60cm offcut scavenged from a skip and storage was whatever could be jammed in either side or underneath the boiler. Didn't have a clue what I was doing, but an emergency, gotta-make-the-rent-this-month job in a pub kitchen let me see just how easy it could be.

• pigpen
    • By pigpen 13th May 18, 2:49 PM
    • 36,864 Posts
    • 474,419 Thanks
    pigpen
    Oooh.. good luck to getting him out and into something permanent.. I bet you're delighted!! I think thats the problem here.. the kitchen is so big it is half dumping ground.. same with the house really!

washing out.. I ran out of line so put the airer out there too!

DW reloaded and off again.. I need to vacuum but Twinkle has just gone to sleep.. she is evil, I am not risking waking her!!
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 13th May 18, 4:20 PM
    • 5,376 Posts
    • 53,198 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Sorting out paperwork in between doing more WM loads and pegging it out. Nearly cleared the backlog, what with rain and being busy out of the house. Kittens learning to sunbathe.
    Keeping it AF
    • Valli
    • By Valli 13th May 18, 7:02 PM
    • 20,710 Posts
    • 235,158 Thanks
    Valli
    new thread
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,964Posts Today

9,859Users online

Martin's Twitter