Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mr Gnu
    • By Mr Gnu 6th May 18, 1:41 PM
    • 77Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Mr Gnu
    Virgin Haggle Fail.
    • 6th May 18, 1:41 PM
    Virgin Haggle Fail. 6th May 18 at 1:41 PM
    Moving house and near end of contract (June) So I thought I would try to get a better deal - I have been a VM customer for over 12 years.

Called 150 options > 1 > 4 > 5 and talked to an Indian called Lucas.

I told him my contract is ending so want to hand in my notice.

He asked for new address I thought I'll play hardball and not tell him.

He said OK send the router back and your final bill will be 9 or 10( EDIT because I am moving next week before contract ends) and your internet and phone will disconnect on your moving date at midnight. We will send an email (which has not arrived).

Was expecting to be made an offer.
    Last edited by Mr Gnu; 06-05-2018 at 2:09 PM.
Page 1
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 6th May 18, 2:11 PM
    • 2,199 Posts
    • 1,244 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 6th May 18, 2:11 PM
    • 6th May 18, 2:11 PM
    Moving house and near end of contract (June) So I thought I would try to get a better deal - I have been a VM customer for over 12 years.

Called 150 options > 1 > 4 > 5 and talked to an Indian called Lucas.

I told him my contract is ending so want to hand in my notice.

He asked for new address I thought I'll play hardball and not tell him.

He said OK send the router back and your final bill will be 9 or 10( EDIT because I am moving next week before contract ends) and your internet and phone will disconnect on your moving date at midnight. We will send an email (which has not arrived).

Was expecting to be made an offer.
    Originally posted by Mr Gnu
    So how would he able to know if VM supply your new address?
    • Mr Gnu
    • By Mr Gnu 6th May 18, 2:15 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Mr Gnu
    • 6th May 18, 2:15 PM
    • 6th May 18, 2:15 PM
    So how would he able to know if VM supply your new address?
    Originally posted by Inner Zone
    Yes, good point!. I thought they did everywhere in this town.

Think I better ring them back.

OK all sorted - same package and quick installation date. : )
    Last edited by Mr Gnu; 06-05-2018 at 2:52 PM.
    • Mr Gnu
    • By Mr Gnu 6th May 18, 5:52 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Mr Gnu
    • 6th May 18, 5:52 PM
    • 6th May 18, 5:52 PM
    UPDATE :

VM sent an e mail contract with the price increased from 34 to 42!

I phoned and an Indian called Francis said don't worry it will be the same price as before..I said no way you will have to send another contract so he said ok it will take 24 to 48 hrs!
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 8th May 18, 1:10 PM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 8th May 18, 1:10 PM
    • 8th May 18, 1:10 PM
    They're not obliged to offer retention deals - many people have cancelled their contracts waiting for a call back from retentions, then never got it, but apparently that was all Virgin's fault as they never called back and they were stuck without Broadband and a Phone Line
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 8th May 18, 3:47 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 8th May 18, 3:47 PM
    • 8th May 18, 3:47 PM
    Indian called Lucas.

I phoned and an Indian called Francis

What has these guys' ethnicity got to do with anything?
    • Mr Gnu
    • By Mr Gnu 8th May 18, 9:15 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Mr Gnu
    • 8th May 18, 9:15 PM
    • 8th May 18, 9:15 PM
    They're not obliged to offer retention deals - many people have cancelled their contracts waiting for a call back from retentions, then never got it, but apparently that was all Virgin's fault as they never called back and they were stuck without Broadband and a Phone Line
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Yes indeed Well it turned out OK in the end, after several calls I knocked them down to 29 pound per month and double the speed to 100mbps and a speedy installation too, though there's a one off 20 charge that wasn't mentioned and they said it would be 27 per month but I will be pleased if this all happens - a haggle win, in the end.

Originally posted by bigisi
    The point is that I am being lied to before I even start to negotiate.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 20,626 Posts
    • 11,479 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 8th May 18, 9:53 PM
    • 8th May 18, 9:53 PM

You think it's dishonest for people in call centres abroad to use English aliases?

You weren't even entitled to a discount or retention deal, yet you wanted to play "hardball" and not tell them where you were moving to!
    • Mr Gnu
    • By Mr Gnu 8th May 18, 10:31 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Mr Gnu
    • 8th May 18, 10:31 PM
    • 8th May 18, 10:31 PM
    You think it's dishonest for people in call centres abroad to use English aliases?

You weren't even entitled to a discount or retention deal, yet you wanted to play "hardball" and not tell them where you were moving to!
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    I think it's dishonest and ridiculous. If their names are hard to understand they could use fake Indian names such as Arjun, Sanjay, Ramesh or whatever.

My contract was almost up,and I have been with VM for fourteen years and never missed a payment - so yes I think I deserve a discount.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th May 18, 11:00 PM
    • 20,626 Posts
    • 11,479 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    My contract was almost up,and I have been with VM for fourteen years and never missed a payment - so yes I think I deserve a discount.
    Your contract was not ending.

You may have been nearing the end of a minimum term, however.

"Deserving" a discount is not the same as being entitled to one.
    • Mr Gnu
    • By Mr Gnu 8th May 18, 11:12 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Mr Gnu
    Your contract was not ending.

You may have been nearing the end of a minimum term, however.

"Deserving" a discount is not the same as being entitled to one.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude

Ha ha, yeah.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 9th May 18, 2:31 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    bigisi
    I think it's dishonest and ridiculous. If their names are hard to understand they could use fake Indian names such as Arjun, Sanjay, Ramesh or whatever.
    You couldn't make it up!

So you think you "deserve" a discount because you adhered to the terms you agreed to when you signed up?

VM have done the same by providing the service for those 14 years, don't they "deserve" extra from you for doing what they agreed to?
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 9th May 18, 2:41 PM
    • 6,098 Posts
    • 12,978 Thanks
    marliepanda

What? People can go by whatever alias they want, it doesnt have to be one that 'matches' your ridiculous version of their ethnicity.
    I have had many Sikh boys through my classes, many of them use aliases which are close to their given names, but some are nothing like it and much more anglicised (or often, Americanised). Doesnt mean they are lying to me.

Plus, you lied by saying you wanted to cancel. You didnt, you wanted a better deal.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 10th May 18, 9:06 AM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Yes indeed Well it turned out OK in the end, after several calls I knocked them down to 29 pound per month and double the speed to 100mbps and a speedy installation too, though there's a one off 20 charge that wasn't mentioned and they said it would be 27 per month but I will be pleased if this all happens - a haggle win, in the end.

Well done you for knocking a grand total of 5 per month of the standard monthly cost
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 10th May 18, 9:14 AM
    • 9,310 Posts
    • 14,357 Thanks
    worried jim
    I knocked them down yesterday to 31pm for 200mbps BB only. Bill was previously 37.25 for 100 mbps. Quite happy and it was very easy to do, they were very helpful.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • prowla
    • By prowla 10th May 18, 9:25 AM
    • 9,858 Posts
    • 8,002 Thanks
    prowla
    I have to say that when I get a call from someone overseas who is using an alias, I immediately distrust them.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th May 18, 11:19 AM
    • 20,626 Posts
    • 11,479 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I have to say that when I get a call from someone overseas who is using an alias, I immediately distrust them.
    Originally posted by prowla
    Cold callers are a different kettle of fish from call centre operators, of course. In most cases, you are right to mistrust such callers, regardless of the obvious aliases.
    • Mr Gnu
    • By Mr Gnu 10th May 18, 5:41 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Mr Gnu
    Well done you for knocking a grand total of 5 per month of the standard monthly cost
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    As I said earlier, it was looking like no fibre at all at one point.

It would have to have been openreach and up to 5 meg in that area.

So I called them back.

Then they sent a contract wanting 42 for up to 50mbps and phone line.

So I called them back.

Then we agreed 27, up to 100 mbps.

Then they sent a contract for 29 up to 100mbps.

So I signed it.

Was on up to 50mbps and phone line for 34.

Now on up to 100mbps and phone line for 29.

It's only the second time I've negotiated.

Will do better next year!

Will be easier when the other ISP's have better speeds available in my area.

I knocked them down yesterday to 31pm for 200mbps BB only. Bill was previously 37.25 for 100 mbps. Quite happy and it was very easy to do, they were very helpful.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Glad your negotiations went smoothly,well done!
    • bigst
    • By bigst 11th May 18, 10:54 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    bigst
    Originally posted by bigisi
    snowflake alert
    I have 5 Nationwide referrals available. If you want 100 for switching to Nationwide PM me
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,262Posts Today

8,142Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TimboBagginses: @MartinSLewis Such a good idea. My ex and I have had to negotiate who will 'accept the blame' and what 'type' of blame?

• Delighted to hear a private members bill is proposing to take the need for someone to be at fault out of an agreed? https://t.co/0vQSRKqREh

• RT @GMB: Is it just @MartinSLewis that has an 'overseas wallet' or are you less organised with your holiday spending plans? ????

• Follow Martin