Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DawnRose8
    • By DawnRose8 6th May 18, 11:43 AM
    • 22Posts
    • 5Thanks
    DawnRose8
    Management co for flats- overcharging & Right to Manage advice.
    • 6th May 18, 11:43 AM
    Management co for flats- overcharging & Right to Manage advice. 6th May 18 at 11:43 AM
    Hi. I've received a huge bill for a small amount of work on our flats.
    Written back to the management co disputing it, as have some of my neighbours, but not very hopeful.
    We're looking at getting Right to Manage but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who's done this if there are any hidden legal costs involved and any way to speed up the process, as I hear it can take 22 weeks.
    Management co have also added their own fee of 600 to works. Is this acceptable?
    We have our own estimates for the work but these were ignored. Our lease just states 'reasonable work at reasonable costs' can be carried out but these are far from 'reasonable'.
    If at any time we can't meet their financial demands can we lose our homes?

The list of things covered by our maintenance fee include 'gardening'. There's no garden. So can we get this altered as they're charging for things they can't even do? Absolutely no maintenance work has been done to this point and many of us have paid our full fee up front. They should have a reserve for the work to be done, but are asking for it in addition to hat we've already paid.

They are also asking us to provide keys for the building's shared area-no idea why they haven't got them already. If we don't provide them they're threatening to change the locks and charge us. But if we give them keys, they can go ahead and charge for more unnecessary internal work or fire checks etc.
    The building is new, most things are under guarantee so can we use that as a defense against any more bogus charges?

I have a telephone consultation booked with the Leasehold Advisory Service but some advice in the meantime would be appreciated. Thanks
Page 1
    • DawnRose8
    • By DawnRose8 8th May 18, 8:49 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    DawnRose8
    • 8th May 18, 8:49 AM
    • 8th May 18, 8:49 AM
    Going to give this a bump.
    I know it's a long post but ANY advice would be appreciated.
    • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • By the_lunatic_is_in_my_head 8th May 18, 11:16 AM
    • 2,187 Posts
    • 1,316 Thanks
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    • 8th May 18, 11:16 AM
    • 8th May 18, 11:16 AM
    Dawn try reposting your topic here:

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

or maybe someone can move the thread for the OP?
    • lindze
    • By lindze 8th May 18, 2:15 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    lindze
    • 8th May 18, 2:15 PM
    • 8th May 18, 2:15 PM
    We have recently bougtht our Freehold so I cannot help with the Right to Manage. However, our freeholder was the same as yours, in that they would over charge and charge management fees when no management occured. Check your Lease throughly to ensure what they can and can't charge for and if they have a sinking fund. Ask them for their yearly accounts if you think that there should be funds available.

I have gone through the process of the Leasehold Tribunal (before we bought him out) as I did not think that the costs levied on us were reasonable. It is a pain and you do have to provide lots of paperwork, but so did they, and you both get a copy of each others case well in advance. I completed a form before hand that stops the freeholder passing any of their legal costs on to you or your other leaseholders and this was fine. I did this all myself and did not have legal representaion so my costs were time spent rather than money but it was worth it in the end. We negotiated back and forth before the hearing date (everything marked 'Without Prejudice') and they eventually settled the day before the hearing and I ended up paying around half of what they wanted me to pay.

You can go on the Leasehold Service website and see if any cases have been heard against your Freeholder and the outcomes. I think mine settled before the hearing so no other leaseholders got any ideas and bought a case to them. Your Freeholder will test your nerve, and they may well employ a solicitor, but even if it goes to a hearing at least a third party will determine what is reasonable and hopefully this would apply to all of the leaseholders in your block.
    • Mr da
    • By Mr da 8th May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Mr da
    • 8th May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 8th May 18, 8:34 PM
    I used to own a flat and the old lease holder was fine then they sold the lease to a firm called comptons which turned into a complete nightmare. They put a charge on for communal lifts (there were no lifts), gardening charges they didn!!!8217;t do any, also for communal lighting (there was none) .
    Luckily one owner of the flats was quite clued on in the legalities and fought them every step of the way. It was still being fought when I left. Good luck
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

80Posts Today

2,859Users online

Martin's Twitter