Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Gscott87
    • By Gscott87 5th May 18, 7:43 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Burgarly - tenant
    • #1
    • 5th May 18, 7:43 PM
    Burgarly - tenant 5th May 18 at 7:43 PM


    So I am currently renting a place with 4 other tenants and was recently burgled. A lot of things were taken from my room which was devastating. My question is, the door lock on my door was faulty and left me unable to lock my door. I reported this to the estate agents 2 months ago and they acknowledged the email, however no one ever came out to sort the lock. Does anyone know if the estate agents are liable here? Possibly on the grounds of negligence? Because in theory, if I could have locked my door my things would have been fine.

    Kind regards
    Last edited by Gscott87; 05-05-2018 at 8:35 PM.
Page 2
    • Techno_Mystic
    • By Techno_Mystic 9th May 18, 12:30 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    If the room did not have a working lock and the house was shared with other tenants I doubt contents insurance would have paid out anyway.
    Originally posted by harrys dad
    Endsleigh will cover it I think as they specialise in students and tenants. Whether they will pay out is another matter...
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 9th May 18, 12:48 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    need an answer
    It is a shame that you did not think to chase and chase and chase again if your lock was not functioning back when the problem started.

    Its a shame you did not think to have some basic contents insurance in place when you moved in rather than now being in the situation of trying to apportion blame on the EA/LA who rented you the property on behalf of the LL.

    lesson learnt hopefully that it is your responsibility to look after your possessions and ensure others are prevented from taking them.
    in S 2 T 1 F 7
    out S 4 T 5 F 6
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • Lavendyr
    • By Lavendyr 10th May 18, 12:17 AM
    • 2,094 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    I'm sorry but if I had valuables in my room and the landlord wasn't sorting the lock I would have taken measures myself. AND always take out contents insurance. It's not expensive. In many cases your parents would be able to add it to their home insurance for a minimal amount.

    Right now the best you can do, OP, is to complain to the landlord (via the estate agent if they are acting as his/her agent) to point out that you had requested the lock be fixed and see if you get lucky.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,112Posts Today

7,033Users online

Martin's Twitter