Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cunning Plan
    • By Cunning Plan 5th May 18, 5:24 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 8Thanks
    Cunning Plan
    Parking Fine - Debt Collector Stage
    • 5th May 18, 5:24 PM
    Parking Fine - Debt Collector Stage 5th May 18 at 5:24 PM
    Hello all!

First off I just want to say I have read the FAQs and Newbie threads with some success and I have some knowledge on what my proceedings should be. I won't lie though reading a variety of them has confused me a little to the best path to take, as some suggest different alternatives. I hoped that if I stated my situation someone might be able to help. Apologies if this is an inconvenience to veterans of this site, I don't mean to spam the threads I just want an opinion on my situation.

Background:

The reason for the notice was partly bad luck. The keeper parked in a car park owned by Highview Parking. The way you pay for the ticket is through your phone. My brother at the time offered to pay for the ticket but when doing so accidentally out of habit, input his license plate instead of my own. This eventually led to the notice. The annoying thing is that we have paid for the ticket and the times and dates align with the notice charge.

I'm not the best with receiving letters as I get a lot of statements and spam. I miss placed the first notice charge without seeing it. I was quite late in responding and having tried appealing to PCN appeals using the suggestion on this forum regarding "Template appeal for BPA or IPC members" (sorry I'm not allowed to post links), they replied weeks later saying it was in the debt collectors hands now and they couldn't help.

The first letter from Debt Recovery Plus Ltd I ignored after reading advice here. I recently got a second letter from them. I know the debt company can't enforce debt collectors (you only have to read the wording they use on the letters to know) but I am worried about the frequency of the letters.

I wonder if it's best to write an email to them with a stern respond, as suggested in other threads or just to keep ignoring them. It seems stupid to email a debt recovery firm if all they do is recommend if their client should take court action. i would rather Highview Parking take up the matter. I'm caught as to whether me emailing the firm will just spark a process for my case or by ignoring it will just fizzle out.

Again, apologies if this has been stated and I haven't found the right thread but some advice would be greatly appreciated. I would like to be that person who isn't phased by this stuff but it is causing me some worry. More so because I paid for the ticket on the day, it was just the wrong vehicle.
    Last edited by Cunning Plan; 06-05-2018 at 8:13 PM.
Page 2
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th May 18, 12:51 AM
    • 57,393 Posts
    • 70,997 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Yes, the SAR goes to Highview by email.

Add to this middle bit:

If you need any more information from me, or a fee, please let me know as soon as possible. Take note that, if you say you will require a fee, I will simply re-submit my request after GDPR makes SARs free, on/after 25th May.

If you are not prepared for GDPR and issuing free SARs to any of your PCN-victims who request it, I suggest you may need to attend one of your Trade Body's preparation events and the last one is on Tuesday in Glasgow:

http://www.britishparking.co.uk/GDPR-Preparation-Events

I would also like to know why you are in breach of the BPA Code if Practice and the ICO Code of Practice for ANPR/surveillance camera data use? Highview did not inform me of my rights to a SAR, I had to find this out for myself.

You have omitted the requirement for a privacy notice and have failed to undertake regular data use assessments to ensure that ANPR use alongside a separate system expecting consumers to key in their VRN at this location, is proportionate and meets the test of fairness and the first principle of data protection.

This is important because in fact the driver input their own VRN (xxx xxxx) which was in fact in accordance with what the signs say ''input your full VRN'' and he made a payment that Highview's machines accepted. This despite that car not being on site, and despite the fact that your ANPR images are capable of using the data more fairly, to show drivers their car (as you do at stores such as Tesco in Hove, East Sussex) rather than the burden resting with the driver. Since your systems are clearly capable of this fairer method of data processing, Highview cannot possibly have complied with the ICO CoP and considered whether the methods used at this car park are proportionate.

I warn you of the above because I intend to report Highview to the ICO for breach of the ANPR guidelines, one you have provided a reply to this SAR.

It may be helpful for you to know that a request for information under the Data Protection Act 1998 should be responded to within 40 days.

etc.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 07-05-2018 at 12:55 AM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Cunning Plan
    • By Cunning Plan 7th May 18, 1:32 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Cunning Plan
    That's brilliant, thank you so much! I'll get that sent off right away.

Is it important that the driver who input their own VRN wasn't the driver at the time?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th May 18, 2:04 AM
    • 57,393 Posts
    • 70,997 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    What, was he a passenger?

Most important is that the keeper does not imply who was actually the driver.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• Cunning Plan
    • By Cunning Plan 7th May 18, 8:05 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Cunning Plan
    He was a passenger. He was paying for the ticket on the driver's behalf but mistakenly input his own VRN instead of the drivers. Should I just amend that in what you wrote or does this become void because he wasn't the driver?
    Last edited by Cunning Plan; 07-05-2018 at 3:54 PM.
    • Cunning Plan
    • By Cunning Plan 7th May 18, 3:59 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Cunning Plan
    "This is important because in fact a passenger input their own VRN (xxx xxxx) which was in fact in accordance with what the signs say ''input your full VRN'' and he made a payment that Highview's machines accepted. This despite that car not being on site, and despite the fact that your ANPR images are capable of using the data more fairly, to show drivers their car (as you do at stores such as Tesco in Hove, East Sussex) rather than the burden resting with the driver. Since your systems are clearly capable of this fairer method of data processing, Highview cannot possibly have complied with the ICO CoP and considered whether the methods used at this car park are proportionate."

Does that work?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th May 18, 4:25 PM
    • 57,393 Posts
    • 70,997 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Yes that works!

• Cunning Plan
    • By Cunning Plan 9th May 18, 7:01 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Cunning Plan
    Hi all,

Just want to say that after complaining directly to the CEO of the landowner of the car park, I got a response saying they had cancelled the charge.

Thank you all for your help and I hope this example helps others prove that complaining to the landowner really does work!
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th May 18, 11:09 AM
    • 8,482 Posts
    • 8,794 Thanks
    pogofish
    Well done..!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th May 18, 2:15 AM
    • 57,393 Posts
    • 70,997 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Hi all,

Just want to say that after complaining directly to the CEO of the landowner of the car park, I got a response saying they had cancelled the charge.

Thank you all for your help and I hope this example helps others prove that complaining to the landowner really does work!
    Originally posted by Cunning Plan
    Well done, at last!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

1,607Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin