Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mum2Nan
    • By Mum2Nan 5th May 18, 3:23 PM
    • 61Posts
    • 118Thanks
    Mum2Nan
    I am being upgraded from Mum to Nan - I need a plan!
    • 5th May 18, 3:23 PM
    I am being upgraded from Mum to Nan - I need a plan! 5th May 18 at 3:23 PM
    I had a flicker of a LBM back at the end of December 2017 when I realised my debts had peaked at a whopping £28,929.14. Since then I have been trying to live within my means and get the debt down which today stands at £22,263.84.

With the exception of the loan for which I am making small overpayments and is ticking over nicely all credit card debt is on 0% finishing at different times. I will make a note of these later.

I found out last week I am going to be a Nan at the end of this year. I am so happy and excited and it's given me fresh impetus to get my debt down as much as possible by then.

My aims are:
    1. to get the debt down sufficiently by the end of next year so I can drop down to a 4 day week to assist with childcare
    2. will need to consider remortgaging in October 2020

I have already made some serious lifestyle changes:
    1. I took part in dry January and have pretty much continued with this to date saving myself around £50 per month
    2. I swapped smoking for vaping so am saving myself over £200 per month

Other changes I have made so far this year:
    1. I swapped my gas and electricity supplier as my previous one wanted to put my monthly direct debit up by £30
    2. I now pay car tax, insurance and contents insurance annually saving me on monthly credit interest. I am hoping my insurance won't go up too much this year as I shall be able to claim 2 years NCD if I am lucky
    3. I am now checking and using cash back sites to purchase online goods and services

I have one DD who although is not financially dependent on me, I still like to help out where I can

I am home to 2 rescue cats, and 4 fish.

I am not brand loyal but do try to live ethically where possible.

Things I can't change:
    1. I am very restricted as to what broadband / phone package I can have due to limited, not very well known suppliers here. I did look at changing to one of the few others but when I factored in the costs of set-up / activation / router costs, these would have outstripped the small savings
    2. My buildings insurance is included in my management charge
    3. I appreciate my car costs me a lot of money compared to the use I appear to get out of it but it's a need rather than a want.

I don't watch live TV so therefore do not pay for a TV licence.

I don't have life insurance but I qualify for my company's 4 X death in service benefit

I am happy to take the scenic route rather than cut back on life too much.

My SOA is below.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household......... 0
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 2548.81
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 6.5
    Total monthly income.................... 2555.31

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 806.5
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 98
    Council tax............................. 124
    Electricity............................. 38
    Gas..................................... 14.5
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 15
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 10
    TV Licence.............................. 0
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 31.5
    Groceries etc. ......................... 300
    Clothing................................ 15
    Petrol/diesel........................... 50
    Road tax................................ 16.25
    Car Insurance........................... 37.25
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 30
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 207
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 5
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 20
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 7.5
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 60
    Haircuts................................ 8
    Entertainment........................... 25
    Holiday................................. 25
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Animal Charity Donation................. 5
    Hobbies................................. 9.99
    Vaping.................................. 25
    Loan Overpayment........................ 27.21
    Mortgage Overpayment.................... 43.46
    Cat Food, Fish Food & Litter............ 50
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2104.16

Assets

Cash.................................... 3750
    House value (Gross)..................... 225000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 1000
    Other assets............................ 4000
    Total Assets............................ 233750

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 133456...(806.5)....3.19
    Total secured & HP debts...... 133456....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Barclaycard 1..................1319.15...29.68.....0 (ends 01/08/2018)
    Barclaycard 2..................3087......69.48.....0 (ends 01/01/2019)
    Barclaycard 3..................3087......69.48.....0 (ends 01/03/2019)
    TSB Loan.......................8299.44...187.9.....2.8 9
    Halifax 3......................2472......24.72.....0 (ends 24/07/2019)
    Halifax 2......................2537.5....25.38.....0 (ends 26/11/2018)
    Halifax 1......................1461.75...14.62.....0 (ends 23/02/2019)
    Total unsecured debts..........22263.84..421.26....-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,555.31
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,104.16
    Available for debt repayments........... 451.15
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 421.26
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 29.89

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 233,750
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -133,456
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -22,263.84
    Net Assets.............................. 78,030.16

Off for a walk to clear my head after all that.

M2N

My Updated SOA is now in post 14
    Last edited by Mum2Nan; 06-05-2018 at 9:55 AM. Reason: format
Page 2
    • Mum2Nan
    • By Mum2Nan 7th May 18, 8:33 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Mum2Nan
    Thanks for your responses and suggestions.

Sorry, those figures are annual, adding another £41.99 to my monthly budget which I will update again shortly.

I live on the third floor of a 4 floor flat so I have a window cleaner to clean the outsides once a month at £10 per month. Up until December last year I was having the insides cleaned too but I now do those myself and save £10.

I am putting aside the car expenses but they just get added to the emergency fund pot. It was around the £3,000 mark at the beginning of the year so that will be reduced when the car tax, insurance, servicing, MOT and contents insurance is due for renewal. I will put these on my Sainsbury's credit card (for the points) and pay the balance (minus my reduced monthly spending by then) out of the emergency fund

Anything I can save from my grocery shopping this month will also be added to this pot. I think I might have to separate this so I know what I am saving for and when it will be dipped into as right now I don't have a clue and it might be giving me a false sense of security.

The loan overpayment is definitely going. I am disappointed but know it's the right thing to do. I was paying the monthly interest and a small amount of the capital. I shall just have to be content that I have already reduced it by 4 months and review it when I am in a better position financially.

My council tax is over 10 months and I am claming the SPD.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 7th May 18, 10:00 AM
    • 12,716 Posts
    • 221,199 Thanks
    greenbee
    With council tax either get them to spread it over 12 months, or make sure you save the relevant amount in the two months you're not paying it.

Windows - mine are done every 5-6 weeks (it's a little erratic) and I can guarantee that a bird will poo on at least one window as soon as they've been done! Can you talk to your window cleaner about doing them less frequently a bit - maybe quarterly, or every 2 months. Hopefully they'll see that it's better to be flexible than to lose you as a customer.

I know meal planning can be hard when you're out of the house for 12 hours a day or more, but not only do I find it saves me money - I find I eat much better if I do this. I take breakfast to work (overnight oats with either yogurt or rice milk and dried fruit or grated apple or sliced banana) as well as a huge box of salad for lunch, and try to make sure I've got something in the fridge either ready to heat up or (particularly when it's hot) ready to eat. And then after I've eaten I prep my food for the next day. I'm lucky that we have a proper coffee machine in the office, so my decent caffeine fix is free on the days I'm in the office.

I'm guessing the chiropodist is a necessity, but could you drop the netflix for a bit and stick with 'free' online entertainment or use the time for doing some batch cooking. I know it's nice to have something mindless to watch to wind down, but I have to admit I find I waste a lot of time online...
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th May 18, 10:19 AM
    • 56,830 Posts
    • 231,398 Thanks
    beanielou
    My window cleaner does mine every second time he comes round.
    Cant afford every time.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Mum2Nan
    • By Mum2Nan 7th May 18, 10:40 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Mum2Nan
    I cannot believe it's only 10.20 and I have already:

Got my shepherds pie going in the slow cooker. I have bulked this out with carrotts, peppers and mushrooms oh and peas. After doing my food inventory yesterday I have 3 packets of frozen peas! I reckon half my debt is in my freezer!!

The cats have also undergone an inventory. I have enough cat food to not only feed mine but all the others that live around here as well so no more buying cat food until I am down to the last two boxes. I have retrieved one of my recycling bags from the boot and have bagged up the food I know they don't like so will take it take it to the supermarket the next time I go and put it in the donation box. With the multitude of half opened cat treats, the treat tin has almost been replenished. It looks lovely and tidy in there now.

Confession time:

I don't eat anything past it's use by date and going through my fridge yesterday I came across 3 eggs that went out of date on May 5 so in my getting to grips with all things MSE, I had 2 for breakfast (yes I've also had breakfast as well) and have the other one on the boil for an egg and tomato sandwich for lunch tomorrow (sorry work colleagues).

I have another 6 going out of date on Friday so I now have the makings of a meal plan for this week.

Tuesday - Shepherds Pie with steamed veg
    Wednesday - Ham, Mushroom, Cheese Omelette & salad
    Thursday - Vegetable masala with pilau rice and HM bombay potatoes (which I will cook later today from the sad bag)
    Friday - Cheese Omelette & salad

I am going to use the rest of the ham for a sandwich for Wednesday which I shall also make today and freeze. Thursday and Friday will be Tuna and Salmon. I have 4 of each! This will save me buying lunches this week.

Next weeks meals are going to have to be prawn dominated because I have 2 large bags of them!
    • Mum2Nan
    • By Mum2Nan 7th May 18, 10:51 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Mum2Nan
    Oh posts have crossed. Meal plan including lunches for this week is now done.

Good idea about the window cleaner. When he next calls for his money I will ask him how often he does his rounds here and then see if I can drop down to 6 weeks or so. If it wasn't for the bottom windows which don't open I could probably do them myself but I don't like heights and it would mean me leaning right over to do them and knowing what I'm like I would end up head first out of the window.

The chiropodist is a necessity but again, I could drop this down a bit during the winter months. I will work out a plan so this happens as I always book my next appointment when I am there.

I am so reluctant to change council tax over 12 months as I like the breathing space of the other 2 months. I will definitely be putting this aside towards my Barclaycard 3.
    Last edited by Mum2Nan; 07-05-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    • Mum2Nan
    • By Mum2Nan 7th May 18, 5:21 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Mum2Nan
    I have been a busy bee this afternoon.

I genuinely canít remember the last time I had so much energy and felt motivated. I am sure the weather has something to do with it.

I have gone through all my household stuff under the sink cupboard and am starting to feel ashamed. 5 bottles of unopened bleach and 3 half used, 2 packets of unopened cleaning sponges... am sure you get my drift. No wonder I feel like I'm playing tetrus in the cupboards once Iíve been shopping and I am in this financial predicament. So, I have had a big sort out and don't think the cupboards have looked so organised and tidy since the day I moved in. (For any of you who can remember, think of the film Sleeping with the Enemy). I am not sure at what point I became so disorganised as I am completely different at work. My toiletries are pretty much spot on so am pleased with that at least. I do have various lotions and potions which I have been given as presents but am not sure what to do with them so have bagged them up for now.

I now have 5 HM shepherds pie and the sad looking potatoes werenít so sad afterall, only the top couple. I bought them on Wednesday last week so this has made me happy (small things and all that). I had a rethink on the bolognese as the other mince pack didn't look too good and when I opened it smelt as it looked so binned it. I'm not quite sure what happened there but perhaps it got bored and died waiting to be cooked! All lunches are also made for this week.

My Sainsbury's credit card closes tomorrow which means the start of a new month for me and it looks like it will have captured all this month's spending with the exception of the £7.99 Netflix. I am over my (new from this month) budget by £170.33. £120 of that I can transfer from my present fund which is part of my emergency / savings fund which will mean I have overspent by £50.33 all on food shopping. Given how out of control my food and household shopping has been, even after my flicker of my LBM back in December, I have decided to reduce this to £250 on paper but mentally do not want to spend anymore than £150 this month.

I have also now broken down my savings / emergency fund into the relevant savings pots although the money is still sitting under the one bank; one current and one savings account (this gives me my additional income after itís gone through my main bank account). I had slightly under-estimated this which stands at £3,778.63.

My savings are now broken down into the following categories:

Car
    Presents
    Boiler
    Hair / Chiropodist / Dental
    Savings / Emergency

As I wanted to check my online banking, I have now cancelled the overpayment SO to the loan. This has annoyed me immensely but I will get over it.

With regards to Netflix, I thought the renewal date was the day after the GG mobile which would have been May 10 but it actually went out yesterday. This is my only entertainment at home as I am not connected to live TV so feel I have been given a monthís grace to think about this. Itís only £7.99, less than £100 a year. I do accept the Ďonlysí add up though. I have made a note in my diary in advance of next month to review.

I have worked out I can drop one appointment at the chiropodist over the winter months by going quarterly rather than bi-monthly so will save £38 there.

If anyone can see any flaws in my plans or think I could do better I would welcome your thoughts and suggestions.
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 7th May 18, 5:56 PM
    • 5,435 Posts
    • 7,488 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    Re the lotions and potions - could they be regifted thus saving you more money?

I'm impressed with your attitude, by the way, you're really going at this, taking on board suggestions made and doing the work e.g. all the sorting and tidying.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 7th May 18, 7:18 PM
    • 7,073 Posts
    • 15,322 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Organisation, meal planning and shopping lists are the answer to your overstocking and high grocery bills. Maybe check household stuff one a fortnight so you don't splurge on offers when you already have loads.

I don't worry too much about use by dates if only a few days.the usual advice is that quality may be somewhat diminished by going a day or so over but should not be dangerous. I am always careful with chicken, pork and fish though. My nose is the best judge of what is still good and meal planning usually takes care of the rest by using up as you are doing this week.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Mum2Nan
    • By Mum2Nan 7th May 18, 7:55 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Mum2Nan
    Hi Viola

Thanks for your support. I really appreciate it.

I know it never came from my family so I have joined my local FB Buying & Selling Group so I have put some of it on there as I can't recall where it's come from. TBH some of it's really good quality, L'Occitanne and Molten Brown. Some of it is so old though it really needs to be binned.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th May 18, 8:23 PM
    • 56,830 Posts
    • 231,398 Thanks
    beanielou
    I find out local FB buying/selling page is great.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Mum2Nan
    • By Mum2Nan 9th May 18, 10:16 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Mum2Nan
    I didnít get on here yesterday as I was busy at work and felt exhausted when I got home at 7.30 especially after my unexpected clearing out of the various cupboards on Sunday and Monday. I was very grateful for my HM shepherds pie. I think I enjoyed it all the more because I didnít have to think about what to do for dinner, cook it and wash up other than for the veg steamer tray and a bowl. I was tempted to have it again for dinner this evening but donít want to throw any food away which I might have had to do with some of the salad so am sticking with the meal plan for this week.

The sandwich I made for lunch which I remembered to get out of the fridge was fine. Normally I would spend at least £2.50 so have saved there. This morning I took the frozen ham sandwich out of the freezer, sliced up a tomato and stuck in the sandwich so thatís for lunch today.

So yesterday was the start of my new month, spending (less) wise due to credit card statement closing and it didnít get off to a good start.

The bad news:

My glasses broke on the way into work so popped into the opticians to get them repaired which I have done a few times previously, but the screw / hole combination is no longer viable without the lab getting involved which would take a few days so had to buy a pair Ďoff the shelfí as I need them for work / computer. They cost me £18.49 and despite handing over my Advantage card to collect the points realised once I had removed the plastic packaging (sigh) at my desk, I could have spent the points on there instead as I have accumulated over £62. Will remember this in future.

The remote control is still showing no signs of life so will give it another couple of days before I order the replacement. Previously, I would have given in by now. I am going to convert some of my Nectar points into eBay vouchers if I need to buy a new one.

The good news:

I took meter readings for gas and electric and plugged in the numbers and am in credit by £31.61 so am pleased with this as the heavy usage months are behind me for a while.

The Molten Brown set sold on FB for £8. I put it on for £10 but accepted the offer on the basis that no postage costs, packaging or trip to the post office and find parking was worth the £2 so is being collected this evening.

Right, I need to get back to work. Will try and get back on here later.
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 9th May 18, 11:51 AM
    • 621 Posts
    • 3,908 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Hi M2N, congratulations on your news!
    It sounds like you are already making great progress towards cutting outgoings

I have Netflix and last year I asked for Netflix vouchers for xmas and birthdays and have been able to get our Netflix "half price" or better for the year. I've also dropped hints about the more expensive skincare/cosmetic items I regularly use and I got all the way to Easter on my xmas present moisturisers.

How do you feel about survey sites? I'm signed up to Ipsos I-say and Prolific Academic, I cash out my Ipsos rewards for Amazon vouchers (you can add the vouchers straight to your Amazon account which is handy). Prolific Academic do have loads of screening questions but I've made about £150 from surveys in the year I've been using them.
    I also registered with several market research / focus group companies. I do 4-6 per year and the average reward is £50 but I did one that was £90 (my father-in-law got £450 for a car research last year!)
    • Mum2Nan
    • By Mum2Nan 9th May 18, 8:31 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Mum2Nan
    Updated SOA
    Hi Georgiana

I have seen a lot regarding surveys on here but I have yet to sign up to any. I am impressed with your additional earnings. I will look into this but I imagine they are quite time consuming.

So, I have now updated my SOA below with my revised figures, stuff left off, cancelled or reduced. I have also updated to reflect the true position with the Halifax credit cards.

The bad news:

I have had another conversation with Halifax today and unlike Barclaycard they don't allocate payments to the deal that finishes the soonest but the one that was taken out first. I am not sure why they never mentioned this when I called the other day or indeed the previous occasions. Their advice was to wait until nearer the time and consider a balance transfer to avoid interest!

I was asked to make a charity donation of £10 at work today. As my work colleagues put in I felt compelled to do the same. Since when was there a minimum on donations? I can't be the only one that can't afford this type of payment. Both of these things have frustrated me no end today.

The good news:

The Halifax debt is £300 less than I thought as these figures have come from my up to date statement

The 0% ends in November and not October as previously stated

My sandwich and dinner tonight was yummy.

I don't need to buy food, household, petrol, cat food, litter or toiletries for this week and am going to try and hold out towards the end of next week.

The Plan:

Target Barclaycard 1 to clear it
    Up the D/D and continue making payments to Halifax 1
    Dip into savings to reduce Halifax 2 by November and see where I am then. If necessary, I shall have to balance transfer the remainder to Barclaycard (again) to avoid interest

I don't need to worry about making minimum payments on the other 0%s as they will come off the D/Ds already set up

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household.........
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 2548.81
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 6.5
    Total monthly income.................... 2555.31

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 806.5
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 98
    Council tax............................. 124
    Electricity............................. 34
    Gas..................................... 14.5
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 15
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 10
    TV Licence.............................. 0
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 7.99
    Internet Services....................... 31.5
    Groceries etc. ......................... 250
    Clothing................................ 15
    Petrol/diesel........................... 50
    Road tax................................ 16.25
    Car Insurance........................... 37.25
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 30
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 207
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 5
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 20
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 7.5
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 60
    Haircuts................................ 8
    Entertainment........................... 35
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Vaping.................................. 25
    Charity Donation........................ 5
    Window Cleaner.......................... 10
    Boiler Servicing........................ 5
    Chiropodist............................. 15.83
    Cat Food, Fish Food & Litter............ 50
    Mortgage Overpayment.................... 43.46
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2036.78

Assets

Cash.................................... 3778.63
    House value (Gross)..................... 225000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 1000
    Other assets............................ 4000
    Total Assets............................ 233778.63

Secured & HP Debts

Mortgage...................... 133456...(806.5)....3.19
    Total secured & HP debts...... 133456....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Barclaycard 1..................1319.15...29.6......0 (ends 01/08/2018)
    Barclaycard 2..................3087......69.48.....0 (ends 01/01/2019)
    Barclaycard 3..................3087......69.48.....0 (ends 01/03/2019)
    Halifax 3......................2472......24.72.....0 (ends 26/07/2019)
    Halifax 2......................2537.5....25.38.....0 (ends 26/11/2018)
    Halifax 1......................1161.75...11.62.....0 (ends 23/02/2019)
    TSB Loan (ends 2021)...........8299.4....187.9.....2.89
    Total unsecured debts..........21963.8...418.18....-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,555.31
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,036.78
    Available for debt repayments........... 518.53
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 418.18
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 100.35

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 233,778.63
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -133,456
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -21,963.8
    Net Assets.............................. 78,358.83

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using Firefox browser.

Fingers crossed I don't need to spend any money tomorrow.
    Last edited by Mum2Nan; 09-05-2018 at 8:38 PM.
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 9th May 18, 8:44 PM
    • 5,435 Posts
    • 7,488 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    You're making strides!

I note the mortgage overpayment is still there...
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th May 18, 8:47 PM
    • 56,830 Posts
    • 231,398 Thanks
    beanielou
    I would have not put 10 quid in a charity donation.
    I have charity's that I donate too & thats it.

***Keep plodding***
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 9th May 18, 10:03 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    I'm the same - I only give to the charities I want to give, and don't feel guilty about missing the rest....

That said, I tend to go for the very local charities if I can rather than the big ones, on the grounds that they are more likely to use every penny for the cause. So, if there's a sponsored toddler walk for the local playgroup, and they're looking for sponsors, I'm your woman!

(Incidently, your local crisis centre might be glad of the smellies and things that you don't want? People buy lots of things for the babies and children, and the poor mothers tend to get forgotten. A nice shampoo or handcream might be a good morale booster for them.)
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 265.
    • Mum2Nan
    • By Mum2Nan 9th May 18, 10:19 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Mum2Nan
    I haven't worked out how to use quotes yet.

Viola, it's going but I am still recovering from cancelling the loan overpayment so will cancel from next month.

Beanielou, I am still annoyed over this tonight. I already adopt an animal and would have really preferred to make a payment to them. This is not to say I don't agree with the cause but animals who have no voice are really close to my heart and feel I could have supported them with the extra £10. I am going to have to be a bit firmer in future. If it had been loose change it would have been a different matter.
    • Mum2Nan
    • By Mum2Nan 9th May 18, 10:23 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Mum2Nan
    Hi Capricorn

Crossed posts again. That's a very good idea about the lotions and potions. I am going to look into this at the weekend and also put a message on the FB group.
    • Mum2Nan
    • By Mum2Nan 9th May 18, 11:12 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Mum2Nan
    The total of the 0% deals that need to be paid by November are worse than I thought now the Halifax payments are not going to be reallocated as I was advised the other day. This now means I have to pay £5,018.14 (would be grateful for Enthusiastic's number crunching here to double check my numbers) by November and then have the 2 looming 0% end deals with Barclaycard in January and March next year. No breathing space at all.

I cannot go to bed on a negative.

The good news:

I do now know the exact figures and what I am up against

This includes payments that will be made between now and November

The mortgage overpayment (Viola) is going tomorrow.
    Last edited by Mum2Nan; 09-05-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 9th May 18, 11:41 PM
    • 7,073 Posts
    • 15,322 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    The total of the 0% deals that need to be paid by November are worse than I thought now the Halifax payments are not going to be reallocated as I was advised the other day. This now means I have to pay £5,018.14 (would be grateful for Enthusiastic's number crunching here to double check my numbers) by November and then have the 2 looming 0% end deals with Barclaycard in January and March next year. No breathing space at all.

I cannot go to bed on a negative.

The good news:

I do now know the exact figures and what I am up against

This includes payments that will be made between now and November

The mortgage overpayment (Viola) is going tomorrow.
    Originally posted by Mum2Nan
    That is a pain re the way Halifax assign payments and yes it means paying £3700 to Halifax by November to avoid paying interest on the Halifax 2 deal. That looks unrealistic on your budget and income so inevitably a balance transfer will be needed unless you are happy to take your savings very low. In total you will need to pay £1317 by August to Barclaycard and £3701 to Halifax by November so £5018 in total.

The monthly £350 will clear the Barclaycard 1 by August assuming the whole monthly payment comes off Barclaycard 1 deal. That is an additional £180 you need to find though on top of the £170 you currently pay. You have £100 surplus though and if you cancel mortgage overpayment that is another £47 so just £33 monthly either to come from savings on other budgets or from your emergency savings. After August you can concentrate on Halifax.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

182Posts Today

1,097Users online

Martin's Twitter