Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 5th May 18, 1:26 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Summertime Lunches
    • 5th May 18, 1:26 PM
    Summertime Lunches 5th May 18 at 1:26 PM
    Hello everyone!

During the winter, weve enjoyed HM soups, with DHs HM bread, nearly every day. Now that we have sunshine, were looking for summertime lunches.

Today, were having pitta with mozzarella and spring onion; tomorrow - pitta with HM lemon hummus and olives. Then Im out of inspiration.

What do you have for lunch when the suns out?
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 1
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 5th May 18, 1:40 PM
    • 2,916 Posts
    • 41,458 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    • 5th May 18, 1:40 PM
    • 5th May 18, 1:40 PM
    Various salads, Nicoise, Waldorf, Caesar etc I make 2 to 3days worth and pop them in the fridge ready to grab, dressing in separate little pots.

HM hummus and crudit!s are nice and light, steady on the garlic if you are customer facing

whole grain rice salad with finely sliced spring onion, pepper and herbs, a slug of soy sauce, olive oil and garlic granules, similar with cous cous, but use chilli, ginger and soy

Frittata very OS and easy to make, cut into big wedges

I make pasta salads for DS, chicken or tuna are his favourites

DH enjoys HM sausage rolls or pasties etc
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 5th May 18, 2:13 PM
    • 26,723 Posts
    • 56,877 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 5th May 18, 2:13 PM
    • 5th May 18, 2:13 PM
    A bag of florette / baby spinach leaves + cheese of your choice + sundried tomatoes in oil + olives = v quick, easy and delicious lunch.

Add couscous / bulgar if you need carbs, quinoa / nuts if you need more protein, and whatever random things lurk in the salad drawer to be extra MSE.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 5th May 18, 2:21 PM
    • 5,023 Posts
    • 48,782 Thanks
    meanmarie
    • 5th May 18, 2:21 PM
    • 5th May 18, 2:21 PM
    No wonderful ideas here........just want to say that its lovely to see you posting, PP , been ages since I saw you, hope all well with you and yours.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 5th May 18, 6:49 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 4,073 Thanks
    SIRENS
    • 5th May 18, 6:49 PM
    • 5th May 18, 6:49 PM
    I am a big fan of couscous, so easy to prepare add some stock to the water, or miso, balsamic, and goes with anything, veggies, olives, cut up pickles or beetroot. Add chopped up lo meat of tuna, cheese. I also eat a lot of pasta salad in the summer of new potatoes chopped up with boiled eggs or any of the above.
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • JingsMyBucket
    • By JingsMyBucket 5th May 18, 7:18 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 3,279 Thanks
    JingsMyBucket
    • 5th May 18, 7:18 PM
    • 5th May 18, 7:18 PM
    I discovered this hearty salad a couple summers ago and I love it: https://cafedelites.com/2016/07/05/grilled-lemon-herb-mediterranean-chicken-salad-recipe/. All the flavours are bright and the chicken is juicy. I tend to do the chicken in the oven though since we dont have a grill. Ive also adapted it to use halloumi for my vegetarian OH by just marinating it with the same mixture.

Here are a few more salads Im meaning to try this summer:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/251355/mediterranean-tuna-spinach-salad

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-kale-bistro-salad-232441

http://www.abelandcole.co.uk/recipes/egyptian-roast-carrot-avocado-salad

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-italian-chicken-salad-sandwiches-80069

Im also curious to see what others suggest.
    NOV 18 GC: 122.58/300.00 // 4/12 NSD
    OCT 18 GC: 293.20/300.00 // 13/12 NSD
    • caronc
    • By caronc 5th May 18, 7:28 PM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 28,079 Thanks
    caronc
    • 5th May 18, 7:28 PM
    • 5th May 18, 7:28 PM
    Most of my "mains" have been covered but when I was working I used to make up small pots of fruit & jelly to have as a change for pudding.
    I used to also roast a tray of herbed or spiced chicken drumsticks on a Sunday to have with various salady bits during the week. Ditto a tray of summer veg which then was added to rice, couscous, lentils or orzo.

• beedeedee
    • By beedeedee 6th May 18, 9:22 AM
    • 957 Posts
    • 1,278 Thanks
    beedeedee
    • 6th May 18, 9:22 AM
    • 6th May 18, 9:22 AM
    Love having folk round for "al fresco" lunches and usually have some sort of rice based dishes which include risotto or paella, that just have to be left simmering with the occasioal stir for 20 mins or so. We don't do salads I'm afraid, but a simple fresh fruit salad (prepared earlier in the cool of the morning), sorts out the pudding.
    Easy peasy and gives time to spend with friends.....
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 6th May 18, 12:33 PM
    • 20,436 Posts
    • 34,007 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 6th May 18, 12:33 PM
    • 6th May 18, 12:33 PM
    I work full-time so lunches for me are a salad/sandwich or whatever the site canteen has on offer.

If I was at home though, quiche eaten warm or cold, Jacket spuds with a topping. Omelettes.

Last night we went out to eat at a Turkish restaurant and the accompaniments that they gave us were gorgeous (some were complimentary) 3 onion salads (red, white, spring) chargrilled red peppers, a spicy tomato dish as well as a green salad and bulgar wheat. I've been googling Turkish salads this morning.
    Last edited by Spendless; 06-05-2018 at 12:38 PM.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 6th May 18, 12:37 PM
    • 10,870 Posts
    • 119,568 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Tbh, when it's this warm, I generally skip lunch completely.
    Mr LW tends to have his usual cheese on toast, which he has all year round.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 6th May 18, 3:42 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,645 Thanks
    Floss
    When uk tomatoes are in the shops or once the greenhouse plants start producing, DH often has a tomato sandwich on Lid1 low GI bread. Or leftovers in an omelette or frittata.

Regular salad favourites for us are greek salad (with or without orzo), tuna pasta salad, caesar salad with chicken or salmon, tomato mozzarella & basil.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 6th May 18, 3:55 PM
    • 12,806 Posts
    • 177,022 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Risotto with fresh courgettes and lemon, courgette spaghetti with the spiralizer with a fresh tomato and basil sauce, frittata served at room temperature with as many fresh ingredients as you have available, quiches made with spring veg and tasty cheese, asparagus served as dippers with soft boiled eggs, cold soups and crisp salads, ratatouille when the makings for that are freely available, hummus and crudites, mezze table with things served at room temperature, gravad lax or smoked salmon with leafy salad and mustard dill sauce, puff pastry tarts made with curd cheese, fresh basil , mozzarella cheese slices, fresh tomatoes and a topping of grated mature cheddar these are light and summery and puddings couldn't be easier in the form of seasonal fresh fruit and berries served with creamy yoghurt or cream, sometimes with a meringue nest, sometimes with ice cream, jellys and cold custard lovely too, baked apples as they come into season and dolchelatte cheese served with fresh warm figs or ripe pears and oatcakes is fab after a summer cool soup. Love summer food eaten outside on the patio either at the garden table or perched on my railway sleeper bench leaning against the wall with trays on our laps. Finish it all off with a decent cup of coffee and contentment sets in!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 11th May 18, 6:20 AM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Thank you everyone - lots of great ideas there
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 11th May 18, 6:23 AM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Thank you - yes, its been a while. Ive been very ill, but completely cured now. DH took voluntary redundancy and we are now living the dream on a smallholding in NE England. We have sheep, hens, bought 2 piglets this week (named Bacon and Chorizo ) and have 3 hives of bees arriving soon
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th May 18, 6:48 AM
    • 64,933 Posts
    • 381,156 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I like soggy tomato sandwiches, you make them hours ahead/day before and squash them into foil/a box and shove in the fridge to go squidgy.

You can't beat a nice bit of quiche, maybe crustless if you're looking at pie crust calories and thinking "bit much really for that tiny bit of food".

Look at what supermarkets are shoving into their "layered salad bowls", then make your own: bit of salad, then "stuff". Flavours in the shops include cheese, potato salad, potato and egg, chicken, chicken/bacon.

Felafels in a wrap or pitta, with a splash of something spicy or a nice chutney.

Even a jacket spud, or half of one each, topped with cheese, or tinned tuna, with a salad on the side would do.

Burger in a bun it'd feel like a summer BBQ if you took a folding chair outside and ate it there
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 11th May 18, 9:19 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 9,368 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    I still like to have soups during the summer not the rib-stickers that I have in the winter but lighter ones like Pea and Mint, Courgette and Tomato, Roasted Red Pepper.

Hm Meatloaf (turkey or beef) I like served cold with a side salad/pickles or in a sandwich/pitta likewise Kofta Kebabs with a yoghurt/tzatziki type dressing.

Hm Pate using lentils/butter beans/mushrooms/smoked or tinned fish - some nice and tasty recipes on the goodfood website.
    NSD's from 13/11/18 = 2
    • FrugalAndFabulous
    • By FrugalAndFabulous 11th May 18, 11:53 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    FrugalAndFabulous
    I tend to have baked potatoes with toppings most of the time but this is one of my favourite summer lunches, especially on picnics

http://www.slimmingeats.com/blog/hawaiian-style-couscous
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 11th May 18, 2:25 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,169 Thanks
    pipkin71
    I make a crustless quiche, with various veggies added and serve with salad
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 11th May 18, 2:27 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,169 Thanks
    pipkin71
    I tend to have baked potatoes with toppings most of the time but this is one of my favourite summer lunches, especially on picnics

http://www.slimmingeats.com/blog/hawaiian-style-couscous
    Originally posted by FrugalAndFabulous
    I would miss out the ham but I like the idea of pineapple and various veg Seems very summery!
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • FrugalAndFabulous
    • By FrugalAndFabulous 11th May 18, 3:01 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    FrugalAndFabulous
    I would miss out the ham but I like the idea of pineapple and various veg Seems very summery!
    It's a great base recipe that you can mix up any way you like
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,600Posts Today

4,266Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin