Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sultanoflondon
    • By sultanoflondon 5th May 18, 1:14 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sultanoflondon
    how to artificially boost your credit card spending
    • 5th May 18, 1:14 PM
    how to artificially boost your credit card spending 5th May 18 at 1:14 PM
    Hi all,

Card such as the American Express Preferred Rewards Gold Credit Card offer a bonus of 20,000 points if you spend 2,000 in your first three months of card membership.

Assume you don't have an average spending of 666.67 per month on credit card, or the majority of your spending cannot be done on American Express.

Is there a 'smart' (read: MoneySavingExpert tactic) of boosting spending on the American Express to be able to spend more on the American Express card, without actually spending more? The only example that I could think of is buying enough gift cards using the American Express the day before the time frame closes to boost the cumulative balance to 2,000 (obviously pay the balance in full at the end of each month). Buy gift cards for firms that the cardholder shops at regularly, for example, supermarkets or similar. In this case, the more mundane, the better (think utility companies, council tax, mortgages, if that's even possible?).

Thank you!
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 5th May 18, 1:21 PM
    • 19,322 Posts
    • 20,628 Thanks
    zx81
    • 5th May 18, 1:21 PM
    • 5th May 18, 1:21 PM
    Most of your examples can't usually be paid by card.

Giftcards would work, assuming you actually want them.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 5th May 18, 1:32 PM
    • 6,948 Posts
    • 3,795 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 5th May 18, 1:32 PM
    • 5th May 18, 1:32 PM
    Depending on your job, can you put expenses/buy stuff for your company?
    • sultanoflondon
    • By sultanoflondon 5th May 18, 1:34 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sultanoflondon
    • 5th May 18, 1:34 PM
    • 5th May 18, 1:34 PM
    Depending on your job, can you put expenses/buy stuff for your company?
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    that's a good idea! Don't think I can, but would need to check that, actually.
    • coffeecrisp
    • By coffeecrisp 8th May 18, 12:12 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    coffeecrisp
    • 8th May 18, 12:12 PM
    • 8th May 18, 12:12 PM
    Hello,

I came here wondering the same thing as I'll be falling just short of the spend to get my welcome bonus on my new Amex.

After reading your post, I thought buying a gift card would be too simple so I checked the T&C's....it probably is.

It says you don't get any points for purchases of "loading of prepaid cards." I checked online for clarification of this, and a lot of the examples given were cards where you just load straight money (MC gift cards, etc).

I was planning on just buying one for groceries, which wold be a gift card instead of a cash card, but I'm thinking it won't work.

If anybody here could confirm this, I would be very grateful.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th May 18, 12:14 PM
    • 19,322 Posts
    • 20,628 Thanks
    zx81
    • 8th May 18, 12:14 PM
    • 8th May 18, 12:14 PM
    A gift card will work.
    • SXA
    • By SXA 8th May 18, 3:38 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    SXA
    • 8th May 18, 3:38 PM
    • 8th May 18, 3:38 PM
    I pay off my council tax bill about 2200 a year and then pay it 200 a month.. it cost me 3% APR but that's for extending balance for another 12 months. so im not getting charged the normal 18.9% APR

I know not what your talking about but maybe good for some people.
    • zerog
    • By zerog 8th May 18, 6:31 PM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    zerog
    • 8th May 18, 6:31 PM
    • 8th May 18, 6:31 PM
    If you have trouble meeting the spend, then apply for the card shortly before you will make a big purchase.

I don't spend 666 a month on my regular expenses, but every time I apply for an Amex I just put a few flight tickets on it and that settles the 2k or whatever for the welcome bonus.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 9th May 18, 8:16 AM
    • 6,948 Posts
    • 3,795 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 9th May 18, 8:16 AM
    • 9th May 18, 8:16 AM
    How about making a large pre-payment against a mobile phone bill? I used to do this with my contract phone. I'd generally get a month behind with the bill, phone them up and pay a few hundred on my credit card (there was a limit). That would generally keep it going for the next 2 or 3 months.

There maybe other bills you can overpay too.
    • pochisoldi
    • By pochisoldi 9th May 18, 12:28 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    pochisoldi
    Hello,

I came here wondering the same thing as I'll be falling just short of the spend to get my welcome bonus on my new Amex.

After reading your post, I thought buying a gift card would be too simple so I checked the T&C's....it probably is.

It says you don't get any points for purchases of "loading of prepaid cards." I checked online for clarification of this, and a lot of the examples given were cards where you just load straight money (MC gift cards, etc).

I was planning on just buying one for groceries, which wold be a gift card instead of a cash card, but I'm thinking it won't work.

If anybody here could confirm this, I would be very grateful.
    Originally posted by coffeecrisp
    When you are in store, there is no way that Amex or any other card provider can distinguish between a transaction for 100 of Tesco groceries and one which sticks 100 on a gift card...
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 9th May 18, 12:35 PM
    • 5,733 Posts
    • 7,858 Thanks
    spadoosh
    Probably in the terms and conditions but id be looking at having a splurge at the online apple store on the last day of the offer. Once its arrived and beyond the offer date request a refund. All about the timing though and if amex systems will pick up whats blatantly something used to take advantage.
    Don't be angry!
    • msallen
    • By msallen 9th May 18, 1:28 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    msallen
    Probably in the terms and conditions but id be looking at having a splurge at the online apple store on the last day of the offer. Once its arrived and beyond the offer date request a refund. All about the timing though and if amex systems will pick up whats blatantly something used to take advantage.
    Originally posted by spadoosh
    I would not recommend doing this.
    • sultanoflondon
    • By sultanoflondon 9th May 18, 4:50 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sultanoflondon
    How about making a large pre-payment against a mobile phone bill? I used to do this with my contract phone. I'd generally get a month behind with the bill, phone them up and pay a few hundred on my credit card (there was a limit). That would generally keep it going for the next 2 or 3 months.

There maybe other bills you can overpay too.
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    This is a good idea as well, thank you very much!
    • The Urbanite
    • By The Urbanite 10th May 18, 12:30 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    The Urbanite
    There is a name for this. It is called manufactured spending. Beware that if a working route is identified in public, it will be hammered and rapidly shut down. It's not just points collectors who do this, but also people who want to cash out stolen credit cards.

I've been points collecting for some time now and it takes a lot of research and trial and error to uncover working routes. The best advice I can offer is to Google Manufactured Spending and have a look at routes that have worked in the past - then devise your own using similar methods.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,950Posts Today

9,350Users online

Martin's Twitter