Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Befuddled-bemused
    • By Befuddled-bemused 5th May 18, 9:14 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Befuddled-bemused
    Affordable home phone, calls only, for pensioner
    • 5th May 18, 9:14 AM
    Affordable home phone, calls only, for pensioner 5th May 18 at 9:14 AM
    Mother in law is paying 30 a month to BT for her phone line plus any time calls this seems ridiculous.

Does anyone know of a reliable, affordable alternative?

This is her lifeline as she's partially sighted, she needs no internet but does make all her calls during the day.
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 5th May 18, 9:23 AM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 5th May 18, 9:23 AM
    • 5th May 18, 9:23 AM
    Have you tried BT? That's not a joke BTW.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60353/~/reduced-rental-for-landline-only-customers

Edit: Or if she qualifies:- https://btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAndServices/BTBasic/Overview/index.htm
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 05-05-2018 at 9:26 AM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 5th May 18, 9:29 AM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 5th May 18, 9:29 AM
    • 5th May 18, 9:29 AM
    There is a guide on here BTW at: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/home-phone-calls
    • Befuddled-bemused
    • By Befuddled-bemused 5th May 18, 9:48 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Befuddled-bemused
    • 5th May 18, 9:48 AM
    • 5th May 18, 9:48 AM
    Thanks will have a look, seems ridiculous she is paying so much
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 5th May 18, 2:09 PM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 5th May 18, 2:09 PM
    • 5th May 18, 2:09 PM
    BT Home Phone Saver is 21.99 per month including line rental and Unlimited Anytime calls to numbers starting 01, 02 and 03 as well as to numbers starting 0845 and 0870.

The price is fixed for several years and a whole host of additional features are incuded free of charge.
    • Simple Soul
    • By Simple Soul 11th May 18, 5:43 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Simple Soul
    • 11th May 18, 5:43 AM
    • 11th May 18, 5:43 AM
    Mother in law is paying 30 a month to BT for her phone line plus any time calls this seems ridiculous.

Does anyone know of a reliable, affordable alternative?

This is her lifeline as she's partially sighted, she needs no internet but does make all her calls during the day.
    Originally posted by Befuddled-bemused
    My parents are in a similar position. I was about to move them to BT's new Home Phone Saver option, but recently read that BT is reducing the price of their Anytime option, for phone-only customers by, I think it was, 7 a month, so it would be very close to the Home Phone Saver price anyway.

Also, I think that the Anytime option gives half price calls to mobiles, whereas with the Home Phone Saver, calls to mobiles are full price.

This is all from memory, so don't take my word for it; check it out.

Anyway, I decided to do nothing for now.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 11th May 18, 11:55 AM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 11th May 18, 11:55 AM
    • 11th May 18, 11:55 AM
    A reminder that BT is now the ONLY major landline phone provider to NOT include calls to UK mobile numbers within inclusive allowances.

Every other major landline provider, and numerous small providers, include these at least within their Unlimited Anytime, or equivalent, call plans.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 11th May 18, 12:00 PM
    • 33,332 Posts
    • 39,328 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 11th May 18, 12:00 PM
    • 11th May 18, 12:00 PM
    I thought mobile calls were still a 3 month extra on Plusnet
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • J B
    • By J B 12th May 18, 11:02 AM
    • 2,855 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    J B
    • 12th May 18, 11:02 AM
    • 12th May 18, 11:02 AM
    A reminder that BT is now the ONLY major landline phone provider to NOT include calls to UK mobile numbers within inclusive allowances.

Every other major landline provider, and numerous small providers, include these at least within their Unlimited Anytime, or equivalent, call plans.
    Originally posted by Ian011
    I thought mobile calls were still a 3 month extra on Plusnet
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    They certainly were earlier in the year before I left for John Lewis, who charge 5 extra for calls to mobiles!
    https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/unlimited/
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 13th May 18, 1:44 PM
    • 2,046 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    Ian011
    I wouldn't consider either Plusnet or John Lewis to be major providers, but both do offer thousands of minutes of calls to UK mobile numbers for just a few pounds per month. This is in contrast to paying (something like) 16p to 22p per call plus 14p to 18p per minute.
    • macman
    • By macman 13th May 18, 5:47 PM
    • 42,022 Posts
    • 17,468 Thanks
    macman
    Have you checked her latest bill?
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/60353/~/reduced-rental-for-landline-only-customers
    Also, does she qualify for BT Basic? All depends how many minutes a month she needs, and to what kind of numbers?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Iamadored
    • By Iamadored 20th May 18, 6:04 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Iamadored
    BT Basic is only available to people on low income State Benefits.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,366Posts Today

7,412Users online

Martin's Twitter