Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 5th May 18, 3:31 AM
    • 8,488Posts
    • 6,228Thanks
    esuhl
    Disposable smoke alarms... Why?
    • 5th May 18, 3:31 AM
    Disposable smoke alarms... Why? 5th May 18 at 3:31 AM
    One of my smoke alarms doesn't work. There's no easy way to open it, and it's marked "Battery not replaceable" and "Replace by May 2018" (what a coincidence!). Apparently it was designed to last ten years and be thrown away.

So, I cracked it open and there are three (apparently flat) lithium CR123A 3V cells. Presumably I could recharge these in an appropriate charger. So... why is it disposable...? It seems such a waste!

Is it because the radioactive substance has decayed so much in ten years that the sensitivity of the alarm is unsafe?

Do alarms with replaceable batteries also have to be thrown away after ten years?

As a safety product, of course I will buy a new smoke alarm to replace the old one. I'm just curious...
Page 1
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 5th May 18, 4:23 AM
    • 15,324 Posts
    • 21,208 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 5th May 18, 4:23 AM
    • 5th May 18, 4:23 AM
    The sensor degrades and becomes unreliable after ten years. There is no point in replacing the batteries. Sealing the case helps to prevent people trying.

Note that not all batteries with lithium in their name are rechargeable. The type used in smoke alarms are not.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 5th May 18, 5:02 PM
    • 2,419 Posts
    • 1,593 Thanks
    Nilrem
    • 5th May 18, 5:02 PM
    • 5th May 18, 5:02 PM
    Gloomendo has it spot on.

The sensors in many devices, especially those related to safety have very precise tolerances they have to work within, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms tend to use sensors that degrade/drift out of tolerance after X years (varies a bit depending on sensor type, IIRC it tends to b e 8-10 years after manufacture).
    As the sensor is built into the main board and non replaceable the whole unit has to be thrown away, it's a bit of a waste but not much given it's every 8-10 years (consider that many people will get through 5+ much more complex mobile phones in that period each of which generates a lot more waste).

We use units with replaceable batteries (and keep batteries spare), and I long ago got into the habit of writing the "replacement" date on the underside of the units in red marker when I fit them for us or friends, as although there is always a note somewhere it's often on a little sticker and not obvious unless you know to look for it.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 6th May 18, 8:57 PM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 3,304 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 6th May 18, 8:57 PM
    • 6th May 18, 8:57 PM
    Ours are mains-wired and I test them once a month with a broom handle.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 6th May 18, 9:23 PM
    • 4,593 Posts
    • 2,645 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 6th May 18, 9:23 PM
    • 6th May 18, 9:23 PM
    Originally posted by Robisere
    And did you check the expiry date - they too normally have a 10 year life. There is usually a sticker on them with the date.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 6th May 18, 10:18 PM
    • 3,810 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 6th May 18, 10:18 PM
    • 6th May 18, 10:18 PM
    And did you check the expiry date - they too normally have a 10 year life. There is usually a sticker on them with the date.
    Originally posted by Lorian
    Oops! Ours have been going 20 years+. Better check them fast.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 6th May 18, 10:30 PM
    • 3,492 Posts
    • 2,458 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 6th May 18, 10:30 PM
    • 6th May 18, 10:30 PM
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Useful to know it can detect a broom handle.

Can it detect smoke?

I guess you could set fire to the broom handle and see what happens.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 6th May 18, 11:02 PM
    • 1,629 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 6th May 18, 11:02 PM
    • 6th May 18, 11:02 PM
    Why do you need a broom handle? Don't most main-wired smoke alarms have buttons or switches on a control panel at a more accessible height?
    • pmartin86
    • By pmartin86 6th May 18, 11:26 PM
    • 565 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    pmartin86
    • 6th May 18, 11:26 PM
    • 6th May 18, 11:26 PM
    Useful to know it can detect a broom handle.

Can it detect smoke?

I guess you could set fire to the broom handle and see what happens.
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    Could? You mean there'r another way???? So many wasted brooms...
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 7th May 18, 10:38 AM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Why do you need a broom handle? Don't most main-wired smoke alarms have buttons or switches on a control panel at a more accessible height?
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    What control panel?
    They're just smoke detectors screwed to the ceiling. I'm 6'2" so I don't need a broom handle & the wife checks their "real smoke" detection capabilities with her cooking now & again.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 8th May 18, 6:44 PM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,020 Thanks
    custardy
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    What control panel?
    They're just smoke detectors screwed to the ceiling. I'm 6'2" so I don't need a broom handle & the wife checks their "real smoke" detection capabilities with her cooking now & again.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Same here. Just like standard smoke alarms but with a mains feed & battery back up.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 8th May 18, 6:46 PM
    • 65,287 Posts
    • 383,142 Thanks
    PasturesNew

So, I cracked it open ....
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Sealing the case helps to prevent people trying.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Obviously not
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 8th May 18, 7:22 PM
    • 2,456 Posts
    • 3,304 Thanks
    Robisere
    Originally posted by Lorian
    Landlord keeps a record and sends people round to check, along with Gas Safety and Fire Checks. I live in Sheltered Accomodation.

Last changed 5 years ago, but thanks for the information.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • joeypesci
    • By joeypesci 9th May 18, 12:22 AM
    • 510 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    joeypesci
    Seen people come into our office every year with a broom and a hood on the end. Turns out that covers the alarm and releases a bit of smoke to see if the sensor is still working. Quite interesting.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 9th May 18, 12:35 PM
    • 5,612 Posts
    • 33,180 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    The sensor lasts around 10 years, replace!
    Cardiac Arrest - Electrical - Patient unconscious! Heart Attack - Plumbing - Patient conscious!
    Defibrillators Cannot Cure a Heart Attack!
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th May 18, 3:05 PM
    • 19,955 Posts
    • 46,181 Thanks
    peachyprice

Is it because the radioactive substance has decayed so much in ten years that the sensitivity of the alarm is unsafe? Yes

Do alarms with replaceable batteries also have to be thrown away after ten years? And yes
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 9th May 18, 3:08 PM
    • 19,955 Posts
    • 46,181 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Oops! Ours have been going 20 years+. Better check them fast.
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    I didn't realise they expired until we bought a new 'toast safe' one, when we took the old one down it had an expiry date on it.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

217Posts Today

1,254Users online

Martin's Twitter