Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Echo41
    • By Echo41 4th May 18, 11:58 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Echo41
    Clear/Mesh Backpacks at work - Where do we stand?
    • 4th May 18, 11:58 PM
    Clear/Mesh Backpacks at work - Where do we stand? 4th May 18 at 11:58 PM
    Hello everyone, I'd like a bit of advice if possible.

To cut a long story short, I work for Asda as a Personal Delivery Driver. Recently they've started giving out mesh backpacks for us to use as an alternative to our personal backpacks and are dressing it up like it's a part of the uniform.

The problem myself and others I work with it is it seems to take away any degree of privacy, while removing any possibility of protecting personal items, such as SatNav and personal phones (Needed for the job) from things like water damage. These ARE NOT robust bags.

I'd like to know, if possible, if we have any argument against using them. Or most importantly, if it's a privacy breach.

Thanks for reading.
Page 2
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 6th May 18, 3:59 PM
    • 8,524 Posts
    • 9,660 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    No one ever questioned me in a cage
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    An interview room would be more appropriate
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 6th May 18, 5:14 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 6,021 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    I don't imagine that the policy has been introduced without good reason. The euphamism of 'shrinkage' just covers up the reality which is theft by staff. Those who will have the greatest opportunity are those who are in and out of the store all day. The company is safeguarding themselves and the honest staff by implementing this.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 7th May 18, 11:41 AM
    • 1,523 Posts
    • 1,505 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    Why do you need privacy for a work bag? Unless you have x-rated material and a pair of man-thongs tucked away in there i dont see what the issue is regarding privacy.

I dont really care if someone can see my lunch box and flask!
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 7th May 18, 11:52 PM
    • 11,281 Posts
    • 30,168 Thanks
    suki1964
    In my first retail job in 1978, you clocked in, you bought your food and drink tickets for the day and your personal belongings were then locked await be retrieved on lunch break or home-time. At no other time were you allowed access. If you needed feminine products, you had to leave them in the ladies. Cigarettes and lighters were to be left in the canteen. The only things you were allowed were a pen and your food and drink tokens which you pinned to your uniform or left in your fag packet, no pockets were allowed

As for needing a mobile phone , well how did we manage in the days before mobiles? If you needed to make a call you went to the office and used the phone there

I remember the hoo ha when Working for Sainsbury's , over the introduction of clear rubbish bags. Funny how those who did the kicking off were the ones hiding what they were thieving in them and going back later to retrieve what they had put in the skips
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Energize
    • By Energize 10th May 18, 10:05 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Energize
    Being old enough to have worked for many years before I had a mobile phone, I really don't think this is a major issue. You manage your personal life the same way as we used to: if there's an emergency in your personal life, a call is made to the employer's landline. If you're being asked to work overtime, your answer is "I will need to make a call before I can confirm that."

But while you're working, you're not tempted to fiddle with your mobile phone.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    Maybe I'm just used to working in a professional environment I guess where people get the work done and that's all the employer cares about. Would cause a lot of lost productivity where I work if we weren't allowed personal mobiles on us. A simple 10min telephone appointment with the doctor would require half a day off work with that policy, we'd never hit our project deadlines.
    Last edited by Energize; 10-05-2018 at 10:08 PM.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 10th May 18, 10:34 PM
    • 2,086 Posts
    • 2,866 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    Hmm, the last time I worked in an IT department (I left in 2000) I didn't have a phone and like most people used a landline. I'm surprised your company doesn't have them.

When I left to do a variety of other jobs one organisation for which I did occasional shifts asked for my mobile. I declined and told them to use my landline with an answerphone. If I was driving I wouldn't answer, if teaching I'd be switched off, and if elsewhere and not at home unlikely to be available. It worked, although I relented to the extent of giving some colleagues my number.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 13th May 18, 6:43 PM
    • 3,654 Posts
    • 2,340 Thanks
    glider3560
    Hmm, the last time I worked in an IT department (I left in 2000) I didn't have a phone and like most people used a landline. I'm surprised your company doesn't have them.
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    I work in IT for a very large organisation and we don't even have desk phones. No-one has them, not even the senior management.

You get a choice of either using your own phone (on a BYOD policy) or being issued with a company phone.

You're allowed to charge your phone at work (there's even 2x 2.1A USB sockets on every desk) and make calls/texts during work hours. Productivity isn't affected in any way, IMO.

• andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 14th May 18, 4:18 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    andydownes123
    I worked for Morrisons...no way could you have your mobile phone on you, instant dismissal. Everyone had lockers so you kept money, phones etc. in there until break time.

I say this all the time to my students who are glued to their phones and say "it's important so and so gets hold of me so I need my phone in my hand"...just you wait until you get into the work place !
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 14th May 18, 4:57 PM
    • 4,651 Posts
    • 7,435 Thanks
    Malthusian
    No one would query someone in a uniform standing in a warehouse cage in a supermarket. No one ever questioned me in a cage and I didn't even wear the standard uniform as I worked for the opticians.
    Originally posted by GlasweJen

Well, the good thing about all these policies and lines of paint is that there's less need to randomly question people in the cages, or strip search them, or reduce everyone's pay to take into account the cost of tea leafing. The managers can be reasonably confident that if someone's in a cage they're not nicking stuff, and if they are, they'll be caught without the need to randomly search them. This makes for a more pleasant working environment all round.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 15th May 18, 6:25 PM
    • 3,942 Posts
    • 7,177 Thanks
    Smodlet
    "Where do we stand?" With your backs to the wall, perhaps?

Sounds a little as if you had better do as they wish or look elsewhere which, unfortunately, seems to be more and more the norm these days. Workers have at best few rights and, with less than 2 years' service, none, apparently.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,199Users online

Martin's Twitter