Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dinamiteP
    • By dinamiteP 4th May 18, 7:42 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 2Thanks
    dinamiteP
    Arnold Clark playing games!?
    • 4th May 18, 7:42 PM
    Arnold Clark playing games!? 4th May 18 at 7:42 PM
    I have previously posted on this forum to find out what my chances are of rejecting a car on finance. the conclusion of that was that I successfully rejected my car through the FOS -with final decision being in my favour- and the finance company must now refund my deposit plus all payments made plus interest and insurance cancellation fee.

now here is where Arnold shark comes in to play; after having left car in the dealership for 5 month (as I decided to reject the vehicle in December) they have now contacted me saying that a manager would like to meet me. I asked, why? after calling me back four times, they decided that it is because I must bring back my V5 and other motor vehicle documents so that they can buy the car back from me! I was sceptical of this, hence I contacted the finance company and they stated that as long as the car is in the Arnold shark branch I bought it from (which it has been since December) there should be no need for me to go there.

now my questions are:
    1. since the FOS decision was in my favour and the car on finance, shouldn't Arnold shark deal with the finance company and not me?
    2.how can they buy the car from me if the owner is the finance company?
    Last edited by dinamiteP; 04-05-2018 at 7:48 PM.
Page 1
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 4th May 18, 7:52 PM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 1,725 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 4th May 18, 7:52 PM
    • 4th May 18, 7:52 PM
    Just a guess, but it could be that you are still the registered keeper (I know this is not always the legal owner) and unless you sign the V5, title effectively remains with you, particularly as far as DVLC records go? I think it's reasonable for them to expect the vehicle book pack to be returned, if you haven't already done so

Although I'd be wary about defectively 'giving' a car to someone until I'd had my money back!
    • bobbymotors
    • By bobbymotors 4th May 18, 8:33 PM
    • 697 Posts
    • 1,034 Thanks
    bobbymotors
    • 4th May 18, 8:33 PM
    • 4th May 18, 8:33 PM
    if you've got your money back just post them everything you've got regarding the car
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 4th May 18, 10:21 PM
    • 3,342 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 4th May 18, 10:21 PM
    • 4th May 18, 10:21 PM
    If you don't have the car any more, then you don't want to be the registered keeper of it.

If you are still the registered keeper, then you are responsible for dealing with speeding tickets, making sure any driver is insured, and so on.

Giving back the V5, and signing the relevant bit of it, is a good way to end this responsibility.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 5th May 18, 2:20 PM
    • 3,795 Posts
    • 2,822 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 5th May 18, 2:20 PM
    • 5th May 18, 2:20 PM
    Just a guess, but it could be that you are still the registered keeper (I know this is not always the legal owner) and unless you sign the V5, title effectively remains with you,
    Originally posted by flashg67
    Please tell me what the big bit in blue says....

• dinamiteP
    • By dinamiteP 6th May 18, 10:57 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dinamiteP
    • 6th May 18, 10:57 AM
    • 6th May 18, 10:57 AM
    I will contact the finance company again, as my dispute was with them. i will post the conclousion here after.
    I might go to arnold shark regardless, just to mock the stupidity of the manager who thought he could get away by selling me a faulty car. I hope his ready for a big plate of humble pie!!
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 6th May 18, 11:09 AM
    • 12,663 Posts
    • 17,205 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 6th May 18, 11:09 AM
    • 6th May 18, 11:09 AM
    I will contact the finance company again, as my dispute was with them. i will post the conclousion here after.
    I might go to arnold shark regardless, just to mock the stupidity of the manager who thought he could get away by selling me a faulty car. I hope his ready for a big plate of humble pie!!
    Originally posted by dinamiteP
    Don't do the second one as the manager (or any other staff member) could call the police if you act inappropriately/cause a nuisance.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 6th May 18, 12:09 PM
    • 2,525 Posts
    • 2,168 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 6th May 18, 12:09 PM
    • 6th May 18, 12:09 PM
    Don't do the second one as the manager (or any other staff member) could call the police if you act inappropriately/cause a nuisance.
    Well, if there is a physical assault or some particularly offensive language perhaps but I don't think "acting inappropriately" is yet a criminal offence.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 6th May 18, 12:10 PM
    • 1,398 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    loskie
    • 6th May 18, 12:10 PM
    • 6th May 18, 12:10 PM
    "humble pie" don't count on it, the likelyhood is that they don't give a !!!! and will have a good laugh behind your back.
    • dinamiteP
    • By dinamiteP 9th May 18, 12:08 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dinamiteP
    went there today, with two other friends, took the mick of the manager a bit,drank a few cups of free coffie, took a few short bread biscuits and turns out their gonna have my deposit check ready this friday and ill get my monthly payments from the finance company. so yea thats about it for me and arnold shark.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 9th May 18, 8:20 AM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 1,540 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    drank a few cups of free coffie, took a few short bread biscuits
    You're sure it was real "coffie" and did the biscuits come from a sealed pack?
    • dinamiteP
    • By dinamiteP 9th May 18, 12:24 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dinamiteP
    they were sealed nice and tight
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 9th May 18, 5:22 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    eschaton
    went there today, with two other friends, took the mick of the manager a bit,drank a few cups of free coffie, took a few short bread biscuits and turns out their gonna have my deposit check ready this friday and ill get my monthly payments from the finance company. so yea thats about it for me and arnold shark.

He's the one probably laughing at you.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 10th May 18, 7:57 AM
    • 1,352 Posts
    • 1,540 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Originally posted by eschaton
    Especially as he knows what's really in the "coffie"
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 10th May 18, 9:16 AM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 8,836 Thanks
    Oakdene
    Wow I must say you sound like a delightful person...
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.

• dinamiteP
    • By dinamiteP 17th May 18, 9:25 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dinamiteP
    Originally posted by eschaton
    yea cause him having to explain it to the area manager is funny as, you salty bro!
    Last edited by dinamiteP; 17-05-2018 at 9:31 PM.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 17th May 18, 9:27 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 1,616 Thanks
    eschaton
    yea cause him having to explain it to area manager is funny as, you salty bro!

With their turnover and profit, this will be pennies to AC.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,599Posts Today

6,252Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin