Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rachpid
    • By rachpid 4th May 18, 3:24 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 13Thanks
    rachpid
    Moving 130m down the road!
    • 4th May 18, 3:24 PM
    Moving 130m down the road! 4th May 18 at 3:24 PM
    Hi all, at the end of the month we're moving to a new house that is within a 2 min walk of our old one. I did directions on Google Maps and it is 130m away. Does anyone know if it's possible to hire removal men to just carry the furniture between the properties? We don't have any wardrobes to move, biggest items are our bed, which dismantles, king size mattress, sofa, kitchen table and tumble dryer (we rent so rest of white goods are supplied).

Or is it just easier to attempt to move this stuff by ourselves, perhaps renting a flat bed style trolley? There's a road between us and the new house but not a busy one. I can also borrow a van from work but that seems pointless seeing as it's under a minutes drive.
Page 2
    • Huwbert
    • By Huwbert 5th May 18, 4:46 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Huwbert
    I did similar about 15 years ago and I carried the lighter bagged up stuff whilst my parents took the big stuff in the car. A van or car to lug the big stuff in as few trips as possible gets my vote, especially if the weather is pants!
    • rachpid
    • By rachpid 10th May 18, 11:44 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    rachpid
    Forgot to update this, we've decided to use the same company who did our more complicated (and 10 miles away) last move to save the hassle! They charge an hourly rate, and they've given us a returning customer discount, so as this should be fairly quick it works out a great price.
    • smem18
    • By smem18 10th May 18, 5:18 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    smem18
    You need a van! Its so you can load almost everything on it and then put it in front of your new front door and unload everything.

The alternative of walking everything across means you will have to carry every little item backwards and forwards! You really cant carry that much and its not the big items that actually cause the issue, its all the millions or little ones and boxes!

The day we moved out of our 3rd floor flat last year, the lift broke (I was so upset!) so we had to walk everything down the stairs to the van. I did 26,000 steps that day literally just on that set of stairs. Don't do it!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,885Posts Today

9,508Users online

Martin's Twitter