Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 4th May 18, 1:23 PM
    • 75Posts
    • 24Thanks
    FTBNow
    A ramble or two
    • 4th May 18, 1:23 PM
    A ramble or two 4th May 18 at 1:23 PM
    Where do I begin?

First of all: I feel a bit of an imposter on this forum as I am actually not in much debt (to speak of). Me and my partner are about to (hopefully) become FTB and have a mortgage approved. However, I do have a bit of a spending habit!

To put it into context: I'm 26 years old and for my age don't earn a bad amount (about £23,999 after tax). With living at home this is a more than sustainable income. However, I did fall into a debt hole and cycle about a year ago funded by my anxiety/depression where, if I wasn't receiving an Amazon parcel everyday, everything felt a bit pointless. I'm aware this sounds utterly ridiculous, but I enjoyed the thrill of ordering new clothes and waiting for them to come. It was a bit like Christmas everyday!

Fast forward one year and £10,000 debt cleared later, my debts currently stand at:

£13,655 car finance (£207 a month rounded up)
    £600 remaining for my iPhone finance from Apple (about £39 a month - rounded up)
    £980 remaining for my work laptop finance (about £54 a month - rounded up)
    And £650 on a Santander 123 credit card. This has come about from using it for petrol and the odd frivolous purchase in moments of weakness (new trainers, jumpers, t-shirt and so on)

Car finance aside, I want to try and put a little bit away each week/month so I can clear the other debts off, with the credit card being my first port of call.

My biggest weakness is unnecessary purchases: clothes as mentioned, and also things as ridiculous as £3 for candles from B&M that I don't exactly need. As things stand I don't have a weekly budget, I tend to hit and hope on my card which I'm aware is very very bad practice. I also have unnecessary direct debits for things that, if I put a bit away each month, I could knock off. So for example:

£115 car insurance
    £12 car tax

Both of which could be saved up for in a separate fund throughout the year.

So my plan really is to become more money wise and frugal with my spending, have some NSD's so I'm not suddenly plunged into a mortgage and still keeping up an untenable spending habit. I'm in the fortunate position right now that I can pay £110 for a car service or MOT the month they happen, but this won't always be the case!

So I'm on the hunt for some tips and have started this diary to keep me motivated. I've also downloaded some apps such as TopCashBack and CheckoutSmart so I can become more money savvy.

Here's to a much more money-wise and brighter future
Page 1
    • rockabillygirl
    • By rockabillygirl 4th May 18, 8:27 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 769 Thanks
    rockabillygirl
    • 4th May 18, 8:27 PM
    • 4th May 18, 8:27 PM
    Didn't want to read and run. Good luck on your debt free journey.
    Very exciting about buying your first property. You might want to think about putting money aside for maintenance costs and don't forget buildings insurance.
    X
    It will all be ok in the end - if it's not ok, then it's not the end!
    Saving for Xmas 2018 #27. :
    Sealed pot challenge #32
    Mortgage paid off.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th May 18, 8:59 PM
    • 54,069 Posts
    • 214,286 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 4th May 18, 8:59 PM
    • 4th May 18, 8:59 PM
    Happy shiny new diary
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 5th May 18, 9:49 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    FTBNow
    • 5th May 18, 9:49 AM
    • 5th May 18, 9:49 AM
    Thank you rockabillygirl and beanielou!

Sadly not a NSD day yesterday as I had to pay £4.70 for parking - this is what happens when you don't wake up in time for free work parking - but I took my own lunch and left my debit card at home so the urge to spend didn't creep up on me.

Bank Holiday weekend is going to be a hard one: we're heading to a food festival so I'm going to draw out £30 and hope that sees me through! I'm also using my free mini valet with the local car wash on my car to give that a clean this morning and, from then on, cleaning it myself: I can't really justify £10 a month anymore as "just £10 it doesn't matter" as every penny counts in this situation.

Have a good one everyone. My aims after this weekend are to have NSD's all of next week (Mon-Fri) as I've got enough food in for lunch. I'm going to draw out £10 only (unless I've any left from the food fest!) leave my card at home so the work vending machine and work Starbucks doesn't get the best of me. Oh, and wake up early enough for parking!

Happy Bank Holiday folks
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 5th May 18, 9:59 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    FTBNow
    • 5th May 18, 9:59 AM
    • 5th May 18, 9:59 AM
    Oh and a small positive this week: managed to decrease my phone bill from £18 a month to £11! . I phoned up Three and put on a big show about being a loyal customer for seven years: so they gave me the same contract for £7 less. Every little helps.
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 6th May 18, 12:29 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    FTBNow
    • 6th May 18, 12:29 PM
    • 6th May 18, 12:29 PM
    Car had its free (and last) mini valet for the grand total of £10 and our trip to the food festival lead to me only spending £14 so £16 is currently sitting in my purse! Iím very tempted to join my work gym for £15 for the year (benefits) and get myself on a health/stress free kick but thereís also the temptation to feel victorious if I keep that £16 in my purse come Thursday (which will be my first non-NSD as itís a colleagueís leaving do).

Decisions...
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 6th May 18, 12:31 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    FTBNow
    • 6th May 18, 12:31 PM
    • 6th May 18, 12:31 PM
    Grand total of £0 that was meant to say. I canít work out how to edit posts on my mobile so apologies for double post in quick succession!
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 7th May 18, 5:22 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    FTBNow
    • 7th May 18, 5:22 PM
    • 7th May 18, 5:22 PM
    Sadly not a NSD today: had to pop to S'bury to pick up some crisps, peppermint tea (awful belly today and this normally calms it dowm) and some bananas for packed lunch this week - amounting to £4.80 so I used part of the £16 in my purse.

Back to work tomorrow but feeling positive that there won't be a spendy day until Thursday.

I hope everyone has had a lovely Bank Holiday xx
    Last edited by FTBNow; 07-05-2018 at 5:28 PM.
    • Slytherin
    • By Slytherin 7th May 18, 5:29 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Slytherin
    • 7th May 18, 5:29 PM
    • 7th May 18, 5:29 PM
    I wish I had done what you're doing back when my debts were manageable and largely justifiable. Good luck!
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 7th May 18, 5:46 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    FTBNow
    Thanks Slytherin believe me I have been in a worse state than this: about £10,000 of it last year to be precise, but I clawed my way out. I feel a bit of an imposter on here as there are people in much larger debt than I am, but for me this is largely about getting into some good habits that I have found so inspiring on other diaries (such as NSDs and change pots) rather than seeing spare cash as money to burn on yet more materialistic things.

On my agenda this week is selling my iPad that I no longer use and a few PS4 games - should get circa £100 from CeX which is going straight on the credit card.

I've also tallied up my spend on Starbucks in a month: I usually spend about £3.25 a day Mon-Fri which equates to £75 a month Think I may take my own flask in future and stick to the coffee at work!
    • savetosave
    • By savetosave 7th May 18, 10:36 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    savetosave
    Hi
    You should really think about selling your items on Facebook, you will get a lot more than in CEX.
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 8th May 18, 2:38 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    FTBNow
    Thanks savetosave! I took your advice: my colleague has bought my iPad Air 2 for £100 (gone straight on the credit card with the balance now £550) and I've Music Magpie'd the PS4 games for £20: better than a slap in the face!

Today is a NSD so far with two hours left at work
    My goals:
    1 x iPhone finance to pay off by July. Current balance: £628.
    4 x NSDís per week
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 8th May 18, 3:40 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    FTBNow
    Done a bit of thinking this afternoon and decided to clear the CC completely. It means I'm now £550 light (£650 if you count the iPad money that was always going to pay some off). My savings have taken a bit of a knock but it does mean I'm CC debt free at least.

Now the iPhone finance to tackle next!
    My goals:
    4 x NSDís per week
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 9th May 18, 9:19 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    FTBNow
    Morning all,

It's a beautiful day here. I'm working a rather gruelling 13 hour shift today, so packed up on plenty of lunch and snacks to get me through and hopefully make it another NSD. Still got that £10 sitting in my purse and even managed to steer clear of the lure of work Starbucks today (my lovely friend bought me one yesterday). I could kill a cold brew, but must resist. I've put a pot of coffee on at work to dip into throughout the day!

Hope everyone has a good one!
    My goals:
    4 x NSDís per week
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 9th May 18, 9:50 AM
    • 414 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Hiya - I was exactly the same with the coffee! Was easily £3-£4 every work day and most of the time accompanied by noodles from a van for £5 so about £8 a day! I now go to the shop on Monday and buy bread milk and sandwich filler etc for the week and spend less than £8 in total crazy how it all adds up!
    Debt paid £1780.76 / £7180.59 (24%)
    CAR SERVICE CHALLENGE: £21/£154 BY 5/6/18 (13.5 %)
    EMERGENCY FUND: £0 SAVINGS POTS: £0
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 9th May 18, 10:36 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    FTBNow
    Definitely oneday! I could easily spend £8-10 a day with coffee, lunch, vending machines and all sorts. Mad to think how out of hand it can get very easily.
    My goals:
    4 x NSDís per week
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 9th May 18, 8:40 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    FTBNow
    Sadly not a NSD today: parted with £5 for a colleague's leaving present so my purse fund is now down to just £5 for the rest of the week! Should be fine, and it was for a good cause
    My goals:
    4 x NSDís per week
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,265Posts Today

7,494Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin