Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 4th May 18, 10:33 AM
    • 1,170Posts
    • 433Thanks
    sevenhills
    Wearing on edge of tyre
    • 4th May 18, 10:33 AM
    Wearing on edge of tyre 4th May 18 at 10:33 AM

Page 2
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 5th May 18, 9:50 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Far higher centre of gravity so the body rolls more and puts more weight and therefore stress on the outside edge of the tyres on cornering, particularly the ones steering the vehicle.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    I guess that is what people are saying, so it may be correct; but I assume that larger vehicles have the same components, so a large vehicle could need to be tracked but people would just ignore it.
    I guess they have adjustable track rod ends.

• facade
    • By facade 6th May 18, 7:57 AM
    • 3,148 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    facade
    It is this new fangled "independent suspension" that causes it (probably the camber change with body roll), along with the extra wear from front wheel drive.

Take a look at anything with a beam axle and the tyres wear dead flat (unless the tracking is miles out).
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • tom192
    • By tom192 6th May 18, 8:05 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    tom192
    I run a fleet of four Mercedes sprinters used for home deliveries for a well known supermarket all my vans do this. Luckily we are on a Tyre contract so they just get replaced when too worn
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 8th May 18, 8:49 PM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    sevenhills
    I run a fleet of four Mercedes sprinters used for home deliveries for a well known supermarket all my vans do this. Luckily we are on a Tyre contract so they just get replaced when too worn
    Originally posted by tom192
    The company that I work for has a policy of 2mm across the whole of the tyre. I do not think my tyres comply with this.
    I am happy to let it go, because its legal, I believe.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,534Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin