Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • naive investor
    • By naive investor 3rd May 18, 10:35 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 2Thanks
    naive investor
    Equitable Life - with profits
    • 3rd May 18, 10:35 PM
    Equitable Life - with profits 3rd May 18 at 10:35 PM
    I have hung onto this pension which comes with no guarantees.

I am planning to open a Sipp.

Is it now time to transfer out and put it in the Sipp.
Page 1
    • Dox
    • By Dox 3rd May 18, 11:25 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    Dox
    • 3rd May 18, 11:25 PM
    • 3rd May 18, 11:25 PM
    How do the charges compare?
    • woolly_wombat
    • By woolly_wombat 8th May 18, 12:22 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    woolly_wombat
    • 8th May 18, 12:22 PM
    • 8th May 18, 12:22 PM
    I have hung onto this pension which comes with no guarantees.
    Originally posted by naive investor
    Are you quite sure about that?

Guaranteed Annuity Rates (GARs) went a long time ago but you might still have other less well publicised guarantees.

http://www.equitable.co.uk/media/46103/equ073_rplusa-2018-webv5.pdf

The Society has in issue two principal types of with!!!8211;profits policy: RSP policies and CWP policies. These policies represented 98% and 2%, respectively, of the total policy values at 31 December 2017 (98% and 2%, respectively, of the total policy values at 31 December 2016). For the majority of RSP policies issued before 1 July 1996, each premium (after charges) secures a Guaranteed Investment Return (!!!8220;GIR!!!8221, typically at the rate of 3.5% pa. For the majority of RSP policies issued after 1 July 1996, the GIR is nil%.

For CWP policies, guarantees are payable at specified dates or on the occurrence of specified events.
    The guarantees in respect of the Society!!!8217;s with!!!8211;profits business relate to a guarantee on contractual termination (for example, on retirement, maturity, death or on payment of an annuity). The terms of the guarantee vary by contract. For the Society!!!8217;s RSP contracts where there is a GIR, the value of that guaranteed return is assessed based on assumed retirement ages of policyholders. Certain policies also contain a guaranteed minimum level of pension as part of the condition of the original transfer of state benefits to the policy.
    Last edited by woolly_wombat; 08-05-2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    • woolly_wombat
    • By woolly_wombat 8th May 18, 12:25 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    woolly_wombat
    • 8th May 18, 12:25 PM
    • 8th May 18, 12:25 PM
    Strange how the system inserted a smiley there, but rather apt I thought.
    • naive investor
    • By naive investor 9th May 18, 2:00 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    naive investor
    • 9th May 18, 2:00 AM
    Thank
    • 9th May 18, 2:00 AM
    Thanks for your comments.

The charges on my with profits policy is 1% plus 1/2% to meet the expected cost of guarantees.

I took out the policy in 1989 during a period when my employer didn't offer a pension scheme. Looking back at the paperwork I realise I was even more naive then than now and didn't understand it. Still don't!

I don't believe I have ever had a GAR (guaranteed annuity rate) but in a sense I do have a guarantee sum. Being with profits it shouldn't go down like a sipp might do in the case of a market downturn (depending of course on what it is invested in.)

At present I have a guaranteed value and the current uplift to the transfer value is 35% (but not guaranteed). As it seems this won't be further increased this might be a good time to take the money and run?

I am really grateful to you woolly wombat. I have kept the policy because I keep getting 3.5% a year increased value but didn't appreciate this was a guarantee. It was poor in periods of high interest rates and when the stock market produced high returns but is currently better than the rate I get on money in savings accounts. It was a small part of my pension total so in my mind I thought I could be a bit more adventurous with other pensions. I am afraid the terms RSP and CWP (conventional with profits) meant nothing to me and I can't find them in the many pages of literature and definitions I have (in fact I still don't know what RSP stands for). I do though if you are right have an RSP policy (how can I tell?)

My decision then is whether to forego the safety net of a value which will rise by 3.5% and never go down other than if the uplift is withdrawn or move the money (taking the 35% uplift) and move to a SIPP. I think my inclination is to move it to a SIPP.

I should say the sum of money is about 15% of my pension and I have other savings so this isn't a make or break decision

Am I right?
    • woolly_wombat
    • By woolly_wombat 9th May 18, 12:03 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    woolly_wombat
    • 9th May 18, 12:03 PM
    • 9th May 18, 12:03 PM
    I took out the policy in 1989
    I took out a with-profits Retirement Annuity in 1989 during a period of freelance working. I believe all Retirement Annuities came with GARs, which were subsequently overturned but which did, I understand, mean that I was one of those who had an uplift in value after the notorious 'compromise' scheme downgraded the value of our policies.

Fortunately, like you, I have other pension provision. I will probably stay put until my maturity date in a few months time.

The report I linked to is worth looking at. It explains why they have been unable to increase the uplift in transfer value from 35%, due to the cost of providing for the GIRs, although they say they want to do so.

For safety they are invested largely in gilts, and I suppose that if gilt yields were to suddenly increase and prices collapse then I might regret hanging on, but I'm hoping that they might find a way to increase the distribution in an effort to get more of us to push off!

Time will tell.
    • naive investor
    • By naive investor 9th May 18, 1:34 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    naive investor
    • 9th May 18, 1:34 PM
    • 9th May 18, 1:34 PM
    Interesting we are in the same boat. I was told several times over the years by financial advisers to bale out but resisted. Still don't know if that was the right decision.I have 21/2 years to go and my reading is that the 35% won't be increased though hopefully won't go down.

My motivation is to reduce costs and get all my pensions in one place. I reckon I could save a whole drawer of a filing cabinet too...
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 9th May 18, 2:48 PM
    • 11,039 Posts
    • 7,586 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    • 9th May 18, 2:48 PM
    • 9th May 18, 2:48 PM
    My motivation is to reduce costs and get all my pensions in one place.
    I'd prefer two places: diversification to protect you from Lord-knows-what. Even the strange cove who runs the monevator blog understands that.
    http://monevator.com/even-brokers-can-fail-you/
    Free the dunston one next time too.
    • naive investor
    • By naive investor 10th May 18, 9:18 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    naive investor
    • 10th May 18, 9:18 PM
    • 10th May 18, 9:18 PM
    I wouldn’t want all my assets in one place, but having pensions in one place would simplify things for my dependents and be easier for me to manage.

I am having problems because of the ‘guarantees’ on my with profits funds. Settle for a guaranteed x% or go for higher growth and greater risk, The age old decision.

How do you decide?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,152Posts Today

8,576Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: Worried about your finances? Want tips and tricks for getting the best money-saving deals? Whatever your money matter, @Ma?

• Morning. I'm on my way to @thismorning first to talk about how to get the most buck (or euros) for your money with? https://t.co/OXkQDilixy

• Early days but if we weight this vote to the referendum proportions (48:52) then 57% of people currently want secon? https://t.co/zct2KOUWRf

• Follow Martin