Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • turk101
    • By turk101 3rd May 18, 9:38 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    turk101
    Old Defaults
    • 3rd May 18, 9:38 PM
    Old Defaults 3rd May 18 at 9:38 PM
    Evening all,
    I need a little help please. I have scoured the forum so as not to repeat the question but can not find the answer, found a couple of similar ones.
    Anyway it goes like this, around 8 years ago I had a messy divorce, defaulted on 2 credit cards and 1 catalogue.
    I agreed a token payment of 1, 1 and 1 for 5. 1 is with Lowell another with Westcot (Arrow Global and the other I just kept paying BOS directly.
    All the defaults are July, August and September of 2010.
    Here's my worry I have been accepted for a mortgage even with the payments showing on my bank stats, I have continued to pay the BOS 1. I cancelled the Lowell one of 5 and the Wescot (Arrow Global) has cancelled it themselves and sold it to Capquest, who are chasing me daily.
    Have I made a mistake by ignoring the last 2? Can they put the debt back on my credit file? none have shown on my file for nearly 2 years now, allowing me to build my credit score to the maximum.
    I am scared that not paying will affect me and the mortgage decision! Please someone advise what I should do?
    Sorry for the really long post!
    Kind Regards to you all.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 3rd May 18, 9:40 PM
    • 16,869 Posts
    • 17,895 Thanks
    zx81
    • 3rd May 18, 9:40 PM
    • 3rd May 18, 9:40 PM
    They may go for a CCJ, which would be on your files for another 6 years.

I'd suggest paying them off and ignoring your made up credit score. Lenders will be concerned by such a slow repayment of defaulted debts.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 3rd May 18, 9:48 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 3rd May 18, 9:48 PM
    • 3rd May 18, 9:48 PM
    When did you last make a payment?

They won't be on your file now if 6 years have passed, however if you have made any payments to them in the past 6 years then they won't be statute barred (despite not showing on your file any more) and they could apply for a CCJ to recover the full costs
    • turk101
    • By turk101 4th May 18, 9:11 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    turk101
    • 4th May 18, 9:11 PM
    • 4th May 18, 9:11 PM
    They may go for a CCJ, which would be on your files for another 6 years.

I'd suggest paying them off and ignoring your made up credit score. Lenders will be concerned by such a slow repayment of defaulted debts.
    Originally posted by zx81
    Thanks, If I make offers to pay them off can they put them on my credit file again?
    • turk101
    • By turk101 4th May 18, 9:15 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    turk101
    • 4th May 18, 9:15 PM
    When did you last make a payment?

They won't be on your file now if 6 years have passed, however if you have made any payments to them in the past 6 years then they won't be statute barred (despite not showing on your file any more) and they could apply for a CCJ to recover the full costs
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    They are close to 8 years old, they 100% do not show on my file. I have paid token gestures of 1, 1 and 5 so agreed they will not be statute barred, now the CCJ is very worrying as they have never done that before.
    Thanks again
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th May 18, 9:15 PM
    • 16,869 Posts
    • 17,895 Thanks
    zx81
    They'll only come back on your files if they get a CCJ.
    • turk101
    • By turk101 7th May 18, 7:37 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    turk101
    • 7th May 18, 7:37 PM
    • 7th May 18, 7:37 PM
    Thanks so far for all the help.
    one more question I called the PRA group who owns the debt that I have been paying to Lloyds TSB at 1 per month for over 8 years now, I ask for a deal so I could make a 1 of payment and they told me the amount I have to pay is the full amount! No discount or anything. I said ok I will continue to pay the 1 per month and was told that's fine but I would need to go through a budget check ie working, how much I earn, what I pay out etc etc. How much do I have to divulge to this company, why have they not done anything to me in all this time other than tell me I should be paying them and not directly to Lloyds TSB? Why have they not gone for a CCJ or is this not possible because I have continued to pay?
    Please help with any advise as it is rather confusing.
    Thanks again.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 7th May 18, 7:40 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 7th May 18, 7:40 PM
    • 7th May 18, 7:40 PM
    Theyre not obliged to take a settlement figure.

They will probably now want to see bank statements and payslips and a breakdown of incomings and outgoings.

Depending on how much is still owed they may now go for a ccj to get it paid and done with now that you've acknowldged them
    • turk101
    • By turk101 7th May 18, 9:42 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    turk101
    • 7th May 18, 9:42 PM
    • 7th May 18, 9:42 PM
    Could I not just continue paying the bank direct as I have done for so long?
    If not I guess I will have to pay it in full.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 7th May 18, 9:47 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Lloyds would be passing the payments on.

Unless Lloyds or PRA tell you other wise then you can carry on paying Lloyds.

However PRA may now contact you and ask you deal direct with them now.
    • onthefencepost
    • By onthefencepost 8th May 18, 8:34 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    onthefencepost
    I'm no expert maybe speak to them for for a settlement - maybe go to your local credit union for a loan.
    off course making sure they dont trash your credit file and you can pay off your loan.

I got a loan approved from the local credit union on the day and the interest rate was very low.
    • turk101
    • By turk101 8th May 18, 1:47 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    turk101
    Lloyds would be passing the payments on.

Unless Lloyds or PRA tell you other wise then you can carry on paying Lloyds.

However PRA may now contact you and ask you deal direct with them now.
    Thanks for the advise again.
    I have spoken to PRA and they have said they are dealing with it now and NOT to pay Lloyds direct but I offered to make a reduced settlement and they were not helpful at all. I think I will just continue to pay Lloyds direct and hope nothing can come of it as I have never refused to pay.
    • turk101
    • By turk101 8th May 18, 1:48 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    turk101
    I called 1 of the other debters and made an offer which they excepted. I just do not get why this other 1 would not even consider it !
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 8th May 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    As stated already - they're not obliged to take a settlement - also if they've instructed you to start paying them direct then I would do that rather than pay Lloyds still in case any payments aren't passed on.

How much was the debt for and how much is outstanding?

How much has been paid off thus far and at what rate per month?
    • turk101
    • By turk101 8th May 18, 6:59 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    turk101
    As stated already - they're not obliged to take a settlement - also if they've instructed you to start paying them direct then I would do that rather than pay Lloyds still in case any payments aren't passed on.

How much was the debt for and how much is outstanding?

How much has been paid off thus far and at what rate per month?
    Default amount was 1802
    Current balance is 1625
    Paid 1 pm
    Have not got a clue as to the rate.
    I appreciate they do not have to take a settlement but surely that would be in there interest.
    1 pm or or lump sum.
    Thanks again
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 8th May 18, 8:11 PM
    • 1,160 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    1 per month on 1625 would take 135 years to clear... so be prepared for them to start asking for a higher sum after a statement of earnings etc. or applying for a CCJ to clear it quicker.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,113Posts Today

6,588Users online

Martin's Twitter