Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 3rd May 18, 4:42 PM
    • 38,693 Posts
    • 271,759 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 3rd May 18, 4:42 PM
    • 3rd May 18, 4:42 PM
    With only one egg worth £2,000 it could easily have been unsold, brought but not opened yet or simply eaten, same goes for the 33 out of 34 £1,000 prizes not claimed.
    Internet goodness £25580
    • The 3rd Zebu
    • By The 3rd Zebu 4th May 18, 6:23 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 16,533 Thanks
    The 3rd Zebu
    • 4th May 18, 6:23 PM
    • 4th May 18, 6:23 PM
    The first Cadbury's Calamity that I remember was the Treasure Hunt of 1983. That was a complete and utter farce.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2230560/Cadburys-calamity-The-22-carat-gold-egg-led-thousands-people-digging-countryside.html

The first egg was found accidentally, ahead of the launch date, by a young lad playing around.

The next eggs proved more difficult although three of the eggs were found ( allegedly) by the same person.
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 4th May 18, 6:48 PM
    • 2,954 Posts
    • 18,950 Thanks
    Blueyez
    • 4th May 18, 6:48 PM
    • 4th May 18, 6:48 PM
    The first Cadbury's Calamity that I remember was the Treasure Hunt of 1983. That was a complete and utter farce.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2230560/Cadburys-calamity-The-22-carat-gold-egg-led-thousands-people-digging-countryside.html

The first egg was found accidentally, ahead of the launch date, by a young lad playing around.

The next eggs proved more difficult although three of the eggs were found ( allegedly) by the same person.
    Originally posted by The 3rd Zebu
    The idea for that was a good one, but they should have realised the execution would be poor.
    So the didn't learn from the first time. They will probably try another egg hunt in 15-20 years expecting different results.
    Last edited by Blueyez; 04-05-2018 at 6:50 PM.
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 4th May 18, 6:58 PM
    • 2,954 Posts
    • 18,950 Thanks
    Blueyez
    • 4th May 18, 6:58 PM
    • 4th May 18, 6:58 PM
    I wonder if anyone Won from the Peter Rabbit promo they were running on some of their Easter eggs? There was supposed to be 'coupons' containgning a code you entered online to claim the prize associated with that code.
    • Blueyez
    • By Blueyez 4th May 18, 8:42 PM
    • 2,954 Posts
    • 18,950 Thanks
    Blueyez
    • 4th May 18, 8:42 PM
    • 4th May 18, 8:42 PM
    It was gross seeing opened, mushed In crème Eggs in the display box with all the other crème eggs. They could have at least put it in the boxed crème eggs or with the ones that come with the Eater egg- plus make having proof of purchase as a requirement to claim the prize, to help cut down on poor mannered people going to town on the chocolate. Has anyone seen the news article on the armed thug trying to steal the Monopoly tokens from McDonalds?
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 03-06-2018 at 8:36 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 4th May 18, 9:32 PM
    • 38,693 Posts
    • 271,759 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 4th May 18, 9:32 PM
    • 4th May 18, 9:32 PM
    It was gross seeing opened, mushed In crème Eggs in the display box with all the other crème eggs. They could have at least put it in the boxed crème eggs or with the ones that come with the Eater egg- plus make having proof of purchase as a requirement to claim the prize, to help cut down on poor mannered people going to town on the chocolate. Has anyone seen the news article on the armed thug trying to steal the Monopoly tokens from McDonalds?
    Originally posted by Blueyez
    For the way they did it proof of purchase would have made no difference as someone finding a winning egg would then just go and buy it.

The McDonalds knife attack

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/mcdonalds-monopoly-stickers-mask-armed-west-london-police-latest-a8334186.html
    Internet goodness £25580
    • bubblebobble23
    • By bubblebobble23 4th May 18, 9:47 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 38,845 Thanks
    bubblebobble23
    • 4th May 18, 9:47 PM
    • 4th May 18, 9:47 PM
    with the McDonald's monopoly looking at the website winners, nobody found the cash, car or holiday. Same as the McCain Raffle, so many purchase competitions are a scam.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 4th May 18, 10:11 PM
    • 4,288 Posts
    • 13,802 Thanks
    dontone
    • 4th May 18, 10:11 PM
    • 4th May 18, 10:11 PM
    Creme Eggs haven't been the same since they shrunk them to the size of ant eggs, the chocolate is horrible, and the 'yolk' inside make the fillings in you teeth hurt 'cos of the amount of sugar in them now. (Us kids of the '80's remember when they were the size of duck eggs, and the chocolate was so thick you could hardly bite through it)
    But I'm not surprised that folk were peeling the wrappers off to see if they were a winner. They should have had a code in the multi boxes and done the prize draw that way.
    It reminds me of the one were there was money be won on special Chinese sauce jars. If you found a dragon on the inside of the lid, you won a grand. People were opening the jars, so they changed it to a code on the label.
    They never seem to think these things through do they?
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
    • lemonade11
    • By lemonade11 15th May 18, 9:08 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    lemonade11
    I saw so many packets that people had tried to open to check - what a farce! I can't believe the McDonalds raid above though! The lengths people will go to! I always see people on FB offering the other half of park lane / mayfair in return for splitting the cash etc. Is it odd that no one ever seems to win those??
    • Autumnella
    • By Autumnella 15th May 18, 9:29 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 2,267 Thanks
    Autumnella
    I really hate these competitions where the main prize might never be won and the winning wrapper has probably just been put in a bin somewhere. What a scam. If you're going to run a competition at least make sure the main prize can be won.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 15th May 18, 11:35 PM
    • 38,693 Posts
    • 271,759 Thanks
    mjm3346
    I really hate these competitions where the main prize might never be won and the winning wrapper has probably just been put in a bin somewhere. What a scam. If you're going to run a competition at least make sure the main prize can be won.
    Originally posted by Autumnella
    They nearly all do precisely that, the main prize can be won what they do not do is guarantee it will be won, that way a prize fund of say £20,000,000 can be quoted when they expecte to pay out only £2,000,000.

There certainly seem to be more of this type than there used to be and almost none of those now where the "wrap-up" draw has all the unclaimed prizes.
    Internet goodness £25580
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

142Posts Today

1,316Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin