Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RozJC
    • By RozJC 3rd May 18, 2:39 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 7Thanks
    RozJC
    Insurance Cancelled Because Of "Multiple Different Quotes"
    • 3rd May 18, 2:39 PM
    Insurance Cancelled Because Of "Multiple Different Quotes" 3rd May 18 at 2:39 PM
    Hello,

So, I had bought a Car Insurance Policy with Hastings Direct on Tuesday.

The day after (which was yesterday), I get an email telling me that my policy had been cancelled.

I had to call to get more information, however all they told me was that the underwriter had me flagged for making multiple quotes with different details.

Now, as far as I am aware, the only "different quotes" would have come from using different comparison websites.

I requested more information about these different quotes but all they told me was that what they told me was all the information was what the underwriter had given them.

They told me that I would be able to start a new quote and get a new policy.

That was the end of the first call.

I called them up again as I wanted to clarify whether or not if I can make the quote straight away or do I need to wait some time and whether or not I will be getting a full refund.

They told me that I wouldn't be able to get another quote with Hastings and I'd have to take out a policy with another company and that I'd be getting a refund but they'll be keeping a 20 set-up fee.

I asked to speak a manager but one wasn't available so they had to call me back.

They called me back in about 30 minutes and all she did was basically reiterate the same thing the last person I was on the phone to said and that I will not be able to get the 20 set-up fee back. I asked if I could at least get more information regarding the reason behind cancelling my policy but they again told me that the underwriter made this decision and they are unable to get any more information from the underwriter.

So I asked for the underwriter's details so I can contact them myself and maybe get some details.

But, they couldn't give any contact details. They could only give me the underwriter's name, which is Advantage Insurance Company. I told them that I intend to make a complaint about the service and I was told that I would be contacted by the Customer Relations team in the next few working days.

That ended another pointless phone call.

So, I looked online for the underwriter to see if I could get information.

It turns out that they have their own complaints email.....which is a hastingsdirect.com email address. But Hastings told me they couldn't give me any contact details.

In the end, I decide to email a complaint to the provided address, pretty much explaining everything that I had been through and asked about the set-up fee, so we'll see what happens.

I just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone and what they did about it?

Thanks for reading and responding.
Page 2
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th May 18, 7:34 PM
    • 95,753 Posts
    • 63,451 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Haven't the data protection laws just been tightened? If someone is passing on your personal details, this could be illegal.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    How is it illegal for someone to input information about themselves to a company to get a quote?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • sparker123
    • By sparker123 9th May 18, 7:57 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sparker123
    I did multiple quotes once out of interest, changing occupation to see what difference it makes( since I was made redundant) and I never had this problem. It seems some insurers don't care if you are unemployed any way and I wouldn't recommend putting wrong info since you are basically handing them a good reason not to pay out.

I think the comparison sites set up temporary / anonymous accounts so I never had any problems. They ask you sometimes if you have ever had insurance canceled so worth being careful I guess.

I once spoke to a pushy salesman who would have been quite happy to put my occupation as employed to sell me a policy even though I told him I was unemployed !
    Last edited by sparker123; 09-05-2018 at 8:14 PM.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 10th May 18, 7:16 AM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 2,830 Thanks
    marlot
    ...if you have run a number of quotes and they have each have differing information (i.e different occupations or different mileage amounts)...
    Originally posted by Hastings Direct company representative
    That's rough for someone who is considering changing jobs!!!!
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th May 18, 9:36 AM
    • 37,874 Posts
    • 22,004 Thanks
    Quentin
    If you want to get an idea of what the difference in premiums will be for a change of job before deciding on the new job (??) then do anonymous quotes online with the different jobs!
    • Dangermac
    • By Dangermac 10th May 18, 12:13 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 254 Thanks
    Dangermac
    The biggest issue as I see it, is that the OP will need declare (if asked) that they have had insurance cancelled/declined. Most insurers currently ask if you have ever had insurance cancelled/declined.

May cause the OP many problems in obtaining competitive insurance.

This whole issue of cancelled/declined insurance is one which the FOS should be taking great interest in, in my humble opinion

DM
    Last edited by Dangermac; 10-05-2018 at 12:14 PM. Reason: small typo
    • marlot
    • By marlot 10th May 18, 9:17 PM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 2,830 Thanks
    marlot

This whole issue of cancelled/declined insurance is one which the FOS should be taking great interest in, in my humble opinion

DM
    Originally posted by Dangermac
    I agree. As a minimum it should be allowed to expire after (say) 5 years.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th May 18, 9:26 PM
    • 37,874 Posts
    • 22,004 Thanks
    Quentin
    I agree. As a minimum it should be allowed to expire after (say) 5 years.
    Originally posted by marlot
    Although most do ask if you "ever" had a policy cancelled, search for insurers who only ask for cancellations in last 5 years (or ask a local broker - not Swinton- to help find sympathetic insurers when you have a cancellation to disclose)
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 11th May 18, 2:18 AM
    • 7,173 Posts
    • 7,126 Thanks
    eddddy
    If you want to get an idea of what the difference in premiums will be for a change of job before deciding on the new job (??) then do anonymous quotes online with the different jobs!
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Here's a more realistic real-life example, which resulted in a cancelled policy by Hastings...
    • Somebody who was working in a shop, but had a university place in 6 months time.
    • They wanted to know what their current premium would be (as a shop worker) and get an idea of how much it might increase by when they became a student. So got 2 quotes with 2 different occupations.

Plus...
    • Added their aunt as a named driver for a quote, but initially wasn't sure of the aunt's occupation.
    • Phoned aunt and asked exact occupation, and corrected it for the final quote.

Following the above, Hastings cancelled the policy.

Fortunately, the driver's parent is a barrister and could argue the case forcefully and eloquently with Hastings (with threats of FOS, legal action etc). Hastings eventually gave in and reinstated the policy a few days later.
    Last edited by eddddy; 11-05-2018 at 2:30 AM.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 11th May 18, 7:04 AM
    • 20,606 Posts
    • 12,767 Thanks
    dacouch
    Here's a more realistic real-life example, which resulted in a cancelled policy by Hastings...
    • Somebody who was working in a shop, but had a university place in 6 months time.
    • They wanted to know what their current premium would be (as a shop worker) and get an idea of how much it might increase by when they became a student. So got 2 quotes with 2 different occupations.

Plus...
    • Added their aunt as a named driver for a quote, but initially wasn't sure of the aunt's occupation.
    • Phoned aunt and asked exact occupation, and corrected it for the final quote.

Following the above, Hastings cancelled the policy.

Fortunately, the driver's parent is a barrister and could argue the case forcefully and eloquently with Hastings (with threats of FOS, legal action etc). Hastings eventually gave in and reinstated the policy a few days later.
    Originally posted by eddddy
    Best practice for an Insurer in these circumstances is to ask the customer for a written explanation. This would then be reviewed by a senior member of staff before a decision is made.

This would enable them to weed out the intentional from the innocent and ensure they do not penalise the innocent with a cancelled policy for the rest of there life.

I am surprised after the 1m+ fine for cancelling policies after Hastings made a mistake on the premium they quoted that they are not more on the ball in dealing with these.
    • stokesley
    • By stokesley 11th May 18, 7:29 AM
    • 219 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    stokesley
    Although most do ask if you "ever" had a policy cancelled, search for insurers who only ask for cancellations in last 5 years (or ask a local broker - not Swinton- to help find sympathetic insurers when you have a cancellation to disclose)
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Having recently taken out a policy with them, I noticed that RAC is one.
    • RozJC
    • By RozJC 15th May 18, 11:08 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    RozJC
    Just an update....

Hastings Direct sent me out a letter saying they're working on my complaint, so now I guess I just have to wait and see if anything comes from it.
    • RozJC
    • By RozJC 5th Jun 18, 11:57 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    RozJC
    Another update.

Hastings Direct got back to me with their investigation.

They declared that they were in fact wrong in cancelling my policy and that they should have just asked me to clarify any discrepancies with the quotes.

They've refunded me the 20 set-up fee and also given me 50 as an apology.

So, I guess it's case closed.

Thanks to everyone for their help and guidance on this!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,188Posts Today

8,486Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin