Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penguin8410
    • By Penguin8410 3rd May 18, 1:26 PM
    • 93Posts
    • 195Thanks
    Penguin8410
    6 years.....
    • 3rd May 18, 1:26 PM
    6 years..... 3rd May 18 at 1:26 PM
    ....so my last private message says i've been here for 6 years. 6 years and i'm still in debt!

seriously when will i learn my lesson????.....it has to be this time.

this time last year i was out of debt and now i'm 14k in debt again. various reasons but nothing significant to show from it.

i guess i'm just always trying to keep up with the jones's which i totally realise now i do not need to do! i want my family to have a house and garden and i want to be able to take my kids on holiday and do fun things but i will not be doing it now unless it is cash that we are spending.

my budget is done to the end of the year.

our small summer holiday has been paid for in cash.

our wedding is being paid for in cash (once this is saved up)

and in the mean time i will be using every spare penny to pay this back.
    14046.59 14046.59

Snowballing

Page 1
    • Penguin8410
    • By Penguin8410 3rd May 18, 1:28 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    Penguin8410
    • 3rd May 18, 1:28 PM
    • 3rd May 18, 1:28 PM
    So the main problem i find is food bills.

i budget 300 a month to cover 2 adults and 2 children and 2 days of feeding an additional 2 children. i'm sure i can do it for less so i'm now going to spend as little as possible but still make sure we have enough to eat.

i will not be taking cash into work for the restaurant when we have perfectly good food at home to make lunch. i will not be buying treats like sweets and fizzy drinks throughout the week as we don't need them.i will be stretching out meats etc as much as i can and using up what we have in the cupboards as well before buying more.
    14046.59 14046.59

Snowballing

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd May 18, 4:50 PM
    • 55,484 Posts
    • 222,702 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 3rd May 18, 4:50 PM
    • 3rd May 18, 4:50 PM
    Happy shiny new diary
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 3rd May 18, 4:54 PM
    • 1,633 Posts
    • 14,341 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    • 3rd May 18, 4:54 PM
    • 3rd May 18, 4:54 PM
    Happy new diary

Good luck

x
    Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 3rd May 18, 5:11 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 792 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    • 3rd May 18, 5:11 PM
    • 3rd May 18, 5:11 PM
    Good luck xx
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want
    • Penguin8410
    • By Penguin8410 9th May 18, 4:48 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    Penguin8410
    • 9th May 18, 4:48 PM
    • 9th May 18, 4:48 PM
    Thanks very much for the good luck messages lovely people :-)

this weekend was lovely although i had a small with chicken pox so restricted going out which is good for the purse strings!

picnic at the park saturday, sunday bbq at the inlaws and monday picnic again but at the beach! all this involved spending was on 2 lots of ice creams on the saturday and monday. really enjoyed it too!

this week i have spent so far 60p on a can on diet pepsi and i currently have 4.20 in my purse. i expect to still have this in my purse by friday as i have no need to buy anything else this week apart from maybe some milk.

roll on no spend days!!
    14046.59 14046.59

Snowballing

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th May 18, 9:00 PM
    • 55,484 Posts
    • 222,702 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 9th May 18, 9:00 PM
    • 9th May 18, 9:00 PM
    NSD's are great
    Hope your small is on the mend.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Penguin8410
    • By Penguin8410 10th May 18, 4:13 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    Penguin8410
    • 10th May 18, 4:13 PM
    • 10th May 18, 4:13 PM
    Thanks beanielou, she's much better now, just waiting for the other one to get it!!

so was checking out mortgages and what we could get with out current provider Nationwide for when we want to move. Real eye opener! we currently have 179k on interest only (as thats all we could afford at the time) and to move we would realistically need to up this by 100k we can only do this debt free and if i go full time (which will hopefully be sometime from next september when youngest is at school). If we still have the debts that we (i) have now we would only be able to get 242 which would not allow us to move from a flat to a house (we live in S/E so high property prices).

So this has given me even more motivation to stick to this plan!!

today i have spent 2.45 at work as i forgot my breakfast and my wrap for my lunch. i did remember the filling though! i also earnt 20 last night from doing nails which is my side line so i currently have 21.75 in my purse with some milk and petrol to get. I will also be earning 8/15 tomorrow so that will make it up to 29.75 or 36.75.

almost(ish) home time and hopefully some chill time at yoga (already have a pass - paid for by the cc ) and then fajitas for dinner! yummy!
    14046.59 14046.59

Snowballing

• Storm89
    • By Storm89 10th May 18, 4:29 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    Storm89
    • 10th May 18, 4:29 PM
    • 10th May 18, 4:29 PM
    Hi happy New diary , good luck
    • Penguin8410
    • By Penguin8410 10th May 18, 4:33 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    Penguin8410
    thanks storm89 :-)
    14046.59 14046.59

Snowballing

• Penguin8410
    • By Penguin8410 17th May 18, 2:01 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    Penguin8410
    so what a week!

the other one now has chicken pox and i've been having headaches and ocular migraines after reducing my antidepressants and because of hayfever. sooo anoying esp as i've not had hayfever before! starting to feel a bit better now but miss spotty is covered and itchy poor thing. this means not so much sleep for me!

anywho i've not been able to go out too much which is good and what i've bought have been household essentials, washing powder etc and some shoes boxes for my other half to put his shoes in as we've moved rooms with the kids and lost wardrobe space. i haven't even been food shopping!!!

i have also come up with a cunning plan to make the barclaycard debt seem more managable rather than looking at it and seeing 6k and thinking s@*t!

so i've made a spreadsheet and added on all transactions from my barclaycard app which are included in the total amount including each months interest. I tend to make my payment when i get paid and then think i can't make any significant payments for the rest of the month so don't bother. With this approach i can look at the transactions and think right i've got 10 so i'll pay off that transaction of 8.99 at from sainsburys and then i can remove that line and add it onto my paid off spreadsheet. i feel like i'm paying every individual transcation off then rather than just paying chunks of money off which don't mean anything. I don't have much money left over this month but had 8.43 so i've paid off Amazon 4.99 and costa 3.40. its really satisfying knowing i'm actually paying off the transactions that i've made.

i think thats all for now!
    14046.59 14046.59

Snowballing

• Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 17th May 18, 2:17 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    Working Mum
    Hi Penguin8410
    I have just caught up on your diary - seems like things are moving in the right direction for you!!

I have a little book that I write all of my spends in - I find it a very mindful exercise but it has shown me so much and helped me save money. I hi-lite the amount in yellow when I spend using a card and then hi-lite across it in pink when it is paid from my current account BUT if I have used my credit cad I leave it yellow and hi-lite in BLUE when I have paid the money across.

It helps me make sure that I repay any of little amounts I put on my credit cards and keeps me on track to being debt free.

AS I always remind myself it the cumulative impact of these everyday little actions which will take me to my debt free destination!!
    • Penguin8410
    • By Penguin8410 17th May 18, 2:21 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    Penguin8410
    Thanks working mum thats a great idea! i have so many little notebooks at home whihc are kids i could do with having one in my bag to do just that!

Its the small amounts which you don't realise add up so much!

good luck with your journey too!
    14046.59 14046.59

Snowballing

• Penguin8410
    • By Penguin8410 23rd May 18, 1:32 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    Penguin8410
    So this weekend was lovely and didn't spend much money either.

saturday took the kids to the park after the wedding and we had an ice cream.

sunday we went to the sealife centre (we have merlin passes) and we had an ice cream on the beach afterwards. i did have to pay for the small train which was 7.50 for 2 of us!!! i hadn't bought the buggy as thought we could park close but the road was closed off! will make sure i always have the buggy in the boot from now on!

we also go some good news the last couple of days....firstly i will have my overtime paid in from march in my pay on friday which is an extra 100 and even better my partner has been promoted recently and had had confirmation that he will be getting a 13k payrise! this will make a huge diffence, as it would do to anyone!

he's agreed to pay more into the joint account which covers most of the food and frees me up an extra 200 a month! I've allocated this to debt payments and savings for our wedding.

currently i'm saving 500 a month for the wedding and 200 towards debts. from December after the wedding i will be paying all of that off debts. when i look at it like this is really makes me wonder how i've got into this situation in the first place.......careful thinking about my money for the future is the only way i'm going to be able to make sure this doesn't happen ever again......
    14046.59 14046.59

Snowballing

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 23rd May 18, 5:27 PM
    • 6,697 Posts
    • 14,211 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I use a spending app tracker on my phone to keep track of the small spends. Once you are paying 700 towards your debts that will really help. I strongly urge you to sort out that interest only mortgage asap when you are in a position to even if you have to go to a very long term mortgage. You can get 30 year mortgages. I agree that SE house prices are ridiculous though.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

357Posts Today

4,824Users online

Martin's Twitter