Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • boatman
    • By boatman 3rd May 18, 1:23 PM
    • 4,101Posts
    • 2,897Thanks
    boatman
    Watchdog Apple battery repair
    • 3rd May 18, 1:23 PM
    Watchdog Apple battery repair 3rd May 18 at 1:23 PM
    Just in case anyone missed Watchdog

It would appear Apple are not being entirely honest in their battery replacement policy.

'Now Watchdog viewers have been reporting that nothing is quite as it seems, with Apple repairs asking for money to repair seemingly inconsequential things before it will consider honouring the discounted battery replacement. Apple claims that terms and conditions state some damages have to be repaired first.
    However neither Watchdog nor dispute resolution lawyer Matthew Purcell of Sanders Law could find any mention of that clause. What's more one viewer reported that Apple insisted he pay £200 to fix a dent in the chassis before they'd replace the battery, and another was told his microphone and speakers were faulty and needed a £250 repair first. He claimed both components were fine, which was verified by a Watchdog team, and the phone was taken to a third-party repair shop who replaced the battery without having to go anywhere near the allegedly faulty parts.'

Seem to be a few too many broken microphones, strange that people were happily using their phone before sending it to find out it was faulty..
    Last edited by boatman; 03-05-2018 at 1:39 PM. Reason: ii
Page 1
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 6th May 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1,670 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 6th May 18, 2:01 PM
    • 6th May 18, 2:01 PM
    Iíve been sceptical about Watchdog and trial by television ever since they rubbished Jeep over a clunking sound from the transmission on one bought from a back street garage. It turned out to be caused by a worn tyre... they didnít apologise.

Back to iPhone batteries, if done on a service exchange basis then it is not unreasonable to expect there are no chips or scratches and the cost of a replacement case would be significant.

I traded in two iPhones at an Apple Store and obtained the full advertised price, and had a warranty repair, all without any issues. The iPhones had been kept in cases and were in excellent condition. Many phones I see around are battered and scruffy, I wonder what condition the phones referred to on Watchdog really were?
    • Chino
    • By Chino 6th May 18, 4:11 PM
    • 577 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    Chino
    • 6th May 18, 4:11 PM
    • 6th May 18, 4:11 PM
    Back to iPhone batteries, if done on a service exchange basis then it is not unreasonable to expect there are no chips or scratches and the cost of a replacement case would be significant.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    It's not done on that basis - Apple only claims to be replacing the battery:
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/battery-power

The only justification Apple might have for refusing to replace a phone's battery because of damage to the phone is if that damage impairs Apple's ability to replace the battery.
    • john22
    • By john22 7th May 18, 9:24 AM
    • 689 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    john22
    • 7th May 18, 9:24 AM
    • 7th May 18, 9:24 AM
    Haven't watched any of these consumer report types shows in over 10 years and better off for it. Feel like watching them just makes you paranoid that every company and tradesperson out there will screw you over

If something illegal is happening then I'm sure these champions for the consumer have already started the process of taking it through the proper channels.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 8th May 18, 11:08 AM
    • 4,101 Posts
    • 2,897 Thanks
    boatman
    • 8th May 18, 11:08 AM
    • 8th May 18, 11:08 AM
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/6227340/apple-iphone-x-camera-fault-faceid/

Its not just the battery that's a problem, appears to be a problem with the iPhone X face ID/camera.
    • john22
    • By john22 8th May 18, 11:21 AM
    • 689 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    john22
    • 8th May 18, 11:21 AM
    • 8th May 18, 11:21 AM
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/6227340/apple-iphone-x-camera-fault-faceid/

Its not just the battery that's a problem, appears to be a problem with the iPhone X face ID/camera.
    Originally posted by boatman
    You do realise that every iPhone released since 2007 has had an issue like every other item made in the world so unless Apple get to a point of releasing a recall or repair notice then its pointless news.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 8th May 18, 1:00 PM
    • 4,101 Posts
    • 2,897 Thanks
    boatman
    • 8th May 18, 1:00 PM
    • 8th May 18, 1:00 PM
    You do realise that every iPhone released since 2007 has had an issue like every other item made in the world so unless Apple get to a point of releasing a recall or repair notice then its pointless news.
    Originally posted by john22
    It could be useful for someone who is having trouble with their phone, its often difficult to get a satisfactory response until it becomes more widely known, only then when there is a risk of damage to the brand will they feel the need to issue a recall.
    • john22
    • By john22 8th May 18, 1:25 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    john22
    • 8th May 18, 1:25 PM
    • 8th May 18, 1:25 PM
    It could be useful for someone who is having trouble with their phone, its often difficult to get a satisfactory response until it becomes more widely known, only then when there is a risk of damage to the brand will they feel the need to issue a recall.
    Originally posted by boatman
    Right so someone has an iPhone X which is only 6 months old and they had to turn off Face ID because they can't access their phone but because the Sun newspaper is reporting (unknown number) of faulty phones they now know they have an issue with their phone and should be contacting Apple?

The story is pointless without actual numbers of phones being affected and as far as I can see from the original article it seems like standard practice to issue a support document to the shops and repair people on what to do if customers come in with a issue. Kind of good customer care rather than walking in and the sale/repair person scratching their backside wondering what to do
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 8th May 18, 2:00 PM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    Anthorn
    • 8th May 18, 2:00 PM
    • 8th May 18, 2:00 PM
    Personally I have never been a fan of highlighting one or two cases and then applying it as a pervasive rule to everything of that type. Watchdog did it with Apple and they also did it with Iceland. If they come up with an actual percentage of users I might sit up and take notice. As it is they cannot come up with any concrete evidence at all and instead rely on a few isolated cases. Watchdog should be taken off air on the grounds that it is misleading consumers.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 8th May 18, 2:14 PM
    • 4,101 Posts
    • 2,897 Thanks
    boatman
    Right so someone has an iPhone X which is only 6 months old and they had to turn off Face ID because they can't access their phone but because the Sun newspaper is reporting (unknown number) of faulty phones they now know they have an issue with their phone and should be contacting Apple?

The story is pointless without actual numbers of phones being affected and as far as I can see from the original article it seems like standard practice to issue a support document to the shops and repair people on what to do if customers come in with a issue. Kind of good customer care rather than walking in and the sale/repair person scratching their backside wondering what to do
    Originally posted by john22
    I thought it might be useful, what people do with that info is up to them.
    • its_all_over
    • By its_all_over 8th May 18, 8:13 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    its_all_over
    I am going to be arranging to take my iPhone Se in soon so I'll report back if the Apple staff give me any problems when I get the battery done. It is only showing 88 percent on the menu for battery health so I think it will be worth doing while Apple are still doing the new battery scheme discount.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 8th May 18, 9:04 PM
    • 1,670 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    I am going to be arranging to take my iPhone Se in soon so I'll report back if the Apple staff give me any problems when I get the battery done. It is only showing 88 percent on the menu for battery health so I think it will be worth doing while Apple are still doing the new battery scheme discount.
    Originally posted by its_all_over
    Mine shows 81%. I doubt Apple will consider one at 80% or more to need replacement. Let us know how you get on.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 8th May 18, 10:33 PM
    • 1,796 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    chrisw
    Mine shows 89% but it also has the message that it has experienced an unexpected shutdown, which it has. I disabled the performance management. The health capacity never seems to change so I'm not sure if it's a one off measurement or continually monitored.

I'm hoping to get the battery replaced before the year is out.
    • johngt40
    • By johngt40 19th Jun 18, 1:04 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    johngt40
    Regarding replacement of my iPhone battery after Apple admitted building in obsolescence into the battery they would renew battery for £25. So arranged to have my iPhone 6s battery replaced by Apple agent. When l took it in they took the iPhone away but then came back saying the screen had been replaced by a third party and they could not touch it? In fact the iPhone had been my daughters and having broke the screen she had it replaced before giving it to me! Today it was on the news that in Australia Apple were saying the same thing to owners there but they have just ruled that under their consumer laws even if a third party has serviced/repaired an Apple product, Apple still has to honour any warranty repsirs! Just wondered what the U.K./EU consumer laws were here? Does anyone know?
    • Walcott
    • By Walcott 20th Jun 18, 1:39 PM
    • 850 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    Walcott
    When did apple say they built obsolescence into the battery? I thought the iPhone battery issue itself was the same as most other phones, in that performance decreases over the batteries life.
    • john22
    • By john22 20th Jun 18, 2:54 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    john22
    When did apple say they built obsolescence into the battery? I thought the iPhone battery issue itself was the same as most other phones, in that performance decreases over the batteries life.
    Originally posted by Walcott
    Yes thatís correct to some degree. However because apple own the hardware and software and design some chips themselves they tightly integrate all these things to give them the performance and experience they think a user will want.

I think something went wrong in the implementation which resulted in some 6s iPhones shutting down unexpectedly when a worn out battery was expected to deliver maximum power when the phone needed it.

Apple updated their software so that when the phone required maximum power it would slow the phone down rather than the battery to then shut the phone down because it could not deliver that power.

Apple did not clearly communicate what they were actually doing which resulted in what we have now which is Apple updating software to help users understand whatís happening with the phone and also cheaper battery replacement.

No doubt going forward they will be looking at this tight integration and making sure everything can work more robustly. (iOS 12 is addressing some performance speed issues)

Iím unsure on the android side of things but I think in general they have more powerful batteries which is a design choice by them. Maybe itís for differential reasons in market place or because how the software and chip design is they need more powerful batteries. Of course sometimes you can overshoot as in the Samsung note 7 where the battery, chip and software design caused the battery to exploded resulting in the phone being scrapped.

But yes there is no getting away from it a battery over time will under perform which will require people to change their batteries or get a new phone.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 20th Jun 18, 3:09 PM
    • 7,898 Posts
    • 2,606 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    My battery's over 10 years old and lasts a week. Not a smartphone but on every day with reasonable use for calls and texts. Glad it's not in an Apple phone.
    • Walcott
    • By Walcott 20th Jun 18, 3:14 PM
    • 850 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    Walcott
    I agree with your second post but I don't think you are going to get far by arguing that obsolescence is being built into the battery in regards to your issue with battery replacement.

Apple's phones probably aren't any worse than other smart phones, or at least not significantly worse. And battery replacement in itself means the phone isn't obsolete through the limitation on battery life whether that replacement be through apple or a third party.

The real issue here most probably is down to iPhones being supported much longer than their android counterparts, which is a completely different discussion altogether.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 20th Jun 18, 7:24 PM
    • 4,007 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    Anthorn
    If you believe what Watchdog say about Apple the solution is pretty much a no-brainer: Don't use Apple for repairs! Using Apple under such circumstances is like standing in front of a heater and then complaining you're hot.

My local mobile phone shop does a new iPhone 7 battery for 20 quid within the hour and guarantees the repair. If you're stuck get it done in your local Carphone Warehouse but they send it away to a repair service. Some repair services will actually come to you and do the repair in your own home.

Probably the only reason to use Apple or Apple authorised service is to avoid invalidating the guarantee. But if you need service under the guarantee you'll get the repair or replacement done for free!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,833Posts Today

8,708Users online

Martin's Twitter