Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd May 18, 8:50 AM
    • 4,649Posts
    • 40,432Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 3 - A New Beginning
    • 3rd May 18, 8:50 AM
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 3 - A New Beginning 3rd May 18 at 8:50 AM
    Good morning everyone,

I've had a bit of a break from the forums over the past couple of months, but today seems like a good time to come back on here and to start a new diary. An awful lot has changed in my life over the past couple of weeks and it's going to take some time and effort to adjust, and more than ever I need the support and accountability of being on here to keep me on the straight and narrow as far as my finances are concerned.
    I hope that some of my usual bunch have followed me to this diary, and welcome to anyone new that might be reading. I need all of the help and support that I can get...
    NST April #11 nsd = 9 1 debt vs 100 days #5 £50/£553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: £997.60/£5750
Page 62
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Apr 19, 12:02 PM
    • 62,577 Posts
    • 270,708 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad all going well
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Apr 19, 3:39 PM
    • 4,649 Posts
    • 40,432 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I've woken up tired. Again. I'm tired all day whether I've slept well or not, whether I'm busy or not and whether or not I need to get stuff done. I've come to the conclusion that it's my weight and my terrible diet - however I don't have the motivation to do anything about it if I'm being honest... I also suspect I need to be more physically active than I am. There's no way I have time for more exercise and a healthier diet to be honest - exam season is looming and so are the very long working hours.
    Took ds to the park this morning to meet his friends, followed by a couple of hours visiting my mam. She had made chicken casserole, which was amazing.
    NST April #11 nsd = 9 1 debt vs 100 days #5 £50/£553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: £997.60/£5750
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Apr 19, 4:05 PM
    • 4,763 Posts
    • 26,537 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Sorry you are feeling tired all the time, CCL.. You are probably right about weight & terrible diet not helping. Although I still struggle with my weight, I'm still several stone lighter than I was 10 years ago & it does make a difference. I can understand that fitting in targeted exercise sessions can be really difficult while you're so busy, I can't see why eating a healthy diet is not possible with a busy lifestyle? You don't need to be cooking anything particularly fancy, it's just a case of making better choices BECAUSE YOU ARE WORTH IT!! That's not me shouting at you, btw - it's in capitals cos I know it's the bit you have difficulty believing, & I think this is probably part of what's underpinning your poor dietary choices. Healthy choices don't need to be difficult - even beans on wholemeal toast with a banana & an apple is better than just grabbing the nearest snack. Half an avocado squashed onto granary toast, salad & a chicken breast in a wholemeal pitta, a jacket potato with a bean salad & tinned tuna. You wouldn't fill your car with cola & expect it to get you to school, you fill it with what it needs to function & do it's job! I also discovered some years ago, that if my blood sugar dips too low from missing a meal or grabbing a silly choice like a chocolate bar & crisps as though it's a 'meal', I get wobbly, with symptoms quite similar to anxiety/panic attack. I also found a strong link between low blood sugar & my migraines, back when I was peri-menopausal. Even a tiny pot of almonds or dried fruit prevents this, so I carry an emergency snack with me at all times even now.
    I think you are just tremendously busy, & looking after yourself falls by the wayside. We know you're doing amazingly, but none of us can run on empty!
    Take care,
    F xx
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £418 2019 = £60
    • Suffolksue
    • By Suffolksue 14th Apr 19, 5:56 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 1,635 Thanks
    Suffolksue
    Coming out of lurkdom to wish I could like the above more than once !
    Mind you its really a case of 'don't do what I do ,do what I say '
    You know you really are doing great CCL
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 16th Apr 19, 7:06 AM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 20,891 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Completely agree with foxholes. You're a busy woman and so fitting in an hour + for exercise is for the time being unrealistic. Healthy eating though is more achievable. You're a dab hand in the kitchen and I've no doubt you can easily make a healthy dinner for the family just as easily as you did a nice jam.

I believe it's a cycle; once you eat healthy, you feel better. When you feel better, you're more inclined to exercise. When you combine the two, you lose fat. When that happens, you feel better again. You've done soo many amazing things that I believe eating healthier will be one of the easier tasks.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th Apr 19, 3:38 PM
    • 4,649 Posts
    • 40,432 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Aw you lot
    I know, you lot are totally right - I just need to make a bit of an effort to get into a healthier mindset. I never have these good food ideas like you seem to foxgloves - you just came up with a whole list of meals I would eat but have never, ever thought of on my own. Maybe I need to do a bit of research and see what I can come up with that's very quick and very easy, with just a couple of ingredients.
    I do confess to feeling pretty much ok today - so I'm now wondering if it just now takes me a good 10 days or so to recover from a half term of teaching. However, you're right, I am totally worth it so I need to make a bit of an effort. Quick and easy ideas appreciated. If it's out of a packet or microwave friendly then even better.
    So, I've done the exam related stuff that I needed to get done - ideally the money will come in from that soon. I have to finish paying for the holiday over the next few weeks, plus court and massive solicitors bills are approaching so there are expenses to come before exam season truly kicks in.
    I've been busy getting little bits done over the past couple of days. Caught up with a good friend over lunch yesterday, then started on the exam work I needed to do. Got an early ish night and slept reasonably well.
    As I say, I felt ok this morning, and I had to get up early for an optician's appointment. I am still the only person in my family that doesn't wear glasses, and that's the way it's staying for a couple of years - nice to get a clean bill of health . Then popped out to pick up a dress I'd ordered that had arrived in store (sale) - now fully clothed for the summer months ahead. Got the rest of the exam work done and sent off, so I can cross that off the list. There are still a good few annoying jobs on the list but it's always nice to get stuff done.
    I have 8 part started blankets on the list to finish so plenty of relaxing projects that should see me for weeks ahead... All is good.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th Apr 19, 7:20 AM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 20,891 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Maybe I need to do a bit of research and see what I can come up with that's very quick and very easy, with just a couple of ingredients.
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    What about the Jamie Oliver 5 ingredient book? Or the 15 minute meals book?

Not to mention the endless free recipes online..
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • SusieT
    • By SusieT 17th Apr 19, 9:37 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    SusieT
    If you think you may need to be more physically active but have little or no time to exercise, incresase the energy in what exercise you are already doing. Outside walk more actively and think shoulders back, if you walk from your living room to the kitchen to make a cup of tea, instead of walking do a knees up walk/jog/bounce (like athletes do when they are warming up), or if you reach down to pick something up from the floor do it as if you are touching your toes in the gym, wriggle hips or dance when you are washing up - use your imagination and make sure nobody is watching
    Last edited by SusieT; 17-04-2019 at 10:49 AM.
    Credit card debt - NIL
    Home improvement loans 41,000 now 30,130 26% paid original finish dates 2025 and 2027
    Mortgage 100,000 now 64,513 35% paid
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 17th Apr 19, 10:18 AM
    • 15,549 Posts
    • 52,902 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    This week CCL I have or will make Veg stir fry, Chicken burgers, Veg lasagne, Veg stew and then take away fish and chips. This is my attempt at being healthy.

Much like you I regularly feel terrible in the holidays, half dead and could (and do) nap for England. I have decided to start swimming and to eat better (In theory like the above, if that counts as healthy)

It is very annoying. XXX
    Sealed Pot 12 - 008, 365, 1p a day, 1%, 100 days, Saving to be out of debt!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 17th Apr 19, 3:20 PM
    • 4,649 Posts
    • 40,432 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hey
    Another decent night of sleep and also feeling ok today. Finally got off my butt and rescued some almost wrecked veggies from the fridge and have turned them into some 'best of everything' soup. Should still also be healthy. Omelette for breakfast and roast chicken and salad sarnie for lunch, with my veggie soup for dinner. So I'm trying to be healthy.
    Haven't done much. A couple more exam bits (to get ahead of the game) and I had to go and see my solicitor - more forms to sign. Bestie came round for a couple of hours and we had a relax and catch up. Finally starting to feel normal again, just as work begins to loom in the background a bit.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 17th Apr 19, 7:30 PM
    • 1,696 Posts
    • 8,560 Thanks
    MeandO
    Hi CCL

I just wrote a post on my diary which pretty much echoes your 'feeling carp and need to do something about it' post. I can absolutely sympathise with being too tired to think of and cook healthy meals for oneself too, in fact, I could've written your whole post (I think I just did!).

Glad to hear you've had a couple of good night's sleeps though, I'm pretty sure that's at least 90% of the daily battle.

Enjoy the rest of your hols xx
    Mortgage: £107K £105,800
    Mortgage OP's 2019: £548.24/£1800
    EF: £4800 • H2S: £600
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 21st Apr 19, 8:50 AM
    • 4,649 Posts
    • 40,432 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning, and Happy Easter!
    So I've come to the conclusion that it just seems to be a 10 day recovery time from work these days - I've been quite a bit better over the past few days, sleeping well, relaxing, watching box sets and enjoying time with friends and family. We do get decent holidays as teachers, but it's taken over half of them for me to start enjoying properly.
    I've had a decent few days - spent all of Thursday visiting my friend that I only get to see during school hols (she's just a bit too far away for weekends etc). It was lovely and really good to see her looking so much better than she has been over the past year or so. We had lunch and spent most of the afternoon in the park with the kids. She's also asked me to make her a blanket, which I'm more than happy to do.
    Friday was a day with just me and the kids. As per ds request, we went to a small, local caf! for lunch where I got the traditional Good Friday fish and chips and the kids got panini and chips and the whole lot cost me less than a tenner. It's a brilliant place to indulge without spending a fortune. Then I spent the afternoon deep cleaning the kitchen with a bit of help from dd. I was absolutely convinced I could smell cat pee but couldn't find anything, so we cleaned cupboard fronts and washed walls etc - just in case. Never did find anything, but it definitely smells better out there.
    Yesterday, the nice weather finally hit and I managed to get out and about without my hoodie for the first time in goodness-knows how long. Did a couple of hours of tutoring and then spent time with bestie and my sister and all the kids.
    It's been lovely, and I've really enjoyed it - however, I feel as though I'm starting to lost a bit of my grip on being frugal. I've bought a couple of new dresses this holiday, a new pair of shoes and a new watch. All things I wouldn't consider until the summer hols - long after exam time and when I have a bit of extra cash to spend. I feel incredibly guilty and have the unbelievable urge to spend more - even though I don't have it. I just get fed up of always looking a mess, walking round in clothes that are well past their best, and in trainers that are 6 years old... ugh. So I feel better, and I start spending. I had to have the new watch - my Fitbit broke, and I am completely lost without it, but I expect that I could have chosen a much cheaper one than the one I eventually went for. Guilt, guilt, guilt.... Did I need a new work dress though? Probably not. I keep saying I'm going to make more effort with myself then don't...
    Anyway. It's Easter Sunday. And I have ys chicken defrosting to do for dinner - we're having chicken and potato salad in between all of the chocolate. My kids are ruined, and I feel obliged to help them make their way through the mountain of chocolate in the house at the moment. No other real plans for today other than not to spend any more money, and not to stress about work looming in the background. We shall see how that goes.
    Have a good day!
    • triple choc chip
    • By triple choc chip 21st Apr 19, 10:26 AM
    • 916 Posts
    • 3,087 Thanks
    triple choc chip
    Ok, enough of this - I’ve been wondering for a few weeks now - who are you? how did you hijack this diary? and what have you done with CCL?
    Seriously though, it’s great reading the uplifting and happy reports of good times with family and friends. So pleased for you, enjoy today and the rest of the holiday.
    TTC
    Debt Free since 6.8.13
    New home 12 5 rooms to decorate
    Saving for Xmas 2019 #6 £333/£730. 45%
    Emergency fund £1.1k Next car fund £2.6k
    It turns out the answer to my problems wasn’t at the bottom of this tub of icecream, but the important thing is that I tried...
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 21st Apr 19, 3:52 PM
    • 8,630 Posts
    • 66,222 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Enjoy helping the kids with conquering the chocolate mountain...
    NST April Spring #7; NSD 2/12; Ex 12/16; craft (12); remove 5 bagfuls (14)

Mortgage £16,231 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

39Posts Today

1,293Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin