Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd May 18, 9:50 AM
    • 4,584Posts
    • 39,823Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 3 - A New Beginning
    • 3rd May 18, 9:50 AM
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 3 - A New Beginning 3rd May 18 at 9:50 AM
    Good morning everyone,

I've had a bit of a break from the forums over the past couple of months, but today seems like a good time to come back on here and to start a new diary. An awful lot has changed in my life over the past couple of weeks and it's going to take some time and effort to adjust, and more than ever I need the support and accountability of being on here to keep me on the straight and narrow as far as my finances are concerned.
    I hope that some of my usual bunch have followed me to this diary, and welcome to anyone new that might be reading. I need all of the help and support that I can get...
    NST March Wins #9 nsd = 10 1 debt vs 100 days #5 50/553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: 997.60/5750
Page 49
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Jan 19, 9:47 PM
    • 61,839 Posts
    • 265,089 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well done to your DD.
    Awesome.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 8th Jan 19, 9:47 PM
    • 1,979 Posts
    • 10,833 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Well done to your daughter,

Keep putting one step in front of the other.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100 Dec: 28/100
    MFW 2019 Challenge Member #59: 0/2860
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 8th Jan 19, 10:01 PM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 7,357 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    What a star! Well done to your DD!
    paydbx2019 #93 461.38/10,100 .
    School trips 916/1269..
    EF 160
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 8th Jan 19, 11:06 PM
    • 15,502 Posts
    • 52,535 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Amazing DD welcome back to the mad house xxxxx
    Sealed Pot 12 - 008, 365, 1p a day, 1%, 100 days, Saving to be out of debt!
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 9th Jan 19, 6:48 AM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 19,231 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    DD is a credit to you CCL
    MFW START1/5/16 118,340 Oct17109,49 12/17 108,801/18 108,39 3/18 108,50 4/18108,10 5/18106,99 6/18105,99.7/18105,308/18103,99 9/18102,99 10/18101,999 11/18101,300 12/18100,700,1/19 99,999.99 2/19 99,500 1/3 98,999.99MFW 2019 #65
    Referal code- https://doblotto.com/r/1f87a3
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 9th Jan 19, 8:52 AM
    • 2,416 Posts
    • 20,253 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    That's amazing CCL. Quite right to be very proud. She obviously gets it from you.

Is your neighbour ok?
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th Jan 19, 7:24 PM
    • 4,584 Posts
    • 39,823 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening all

Very quick check in tonight. I'm exhausted. Not sure why as I'm sleeping better than ever at the moment - just getting back into the swing of things I think. Among other things at work today I have been called grumpy and prickly. I can tell I feel a bit grumpy but I don't know why.
    Thankyou all for your kind words about dd - I am unbelievably proud of her
    There isn't anything much to report. Work, blimming freezing and tired. Determined to relax tonight, and that means no internet or crochet. So I'm heading off, just thought I'd say a quick hello though.
    NST March Wins #9 nsd = 10 1 debt vs 100 days #5 50/553 Pay all your debt by Xmas '19 #56: 997.60/5750
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 9th Jan 19, 7:49 PM
    • 4,570 Posts
    • 27,019 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Well done to DD for being amazing

By the time I'd driven out of the street, an orange light had lit up on the dashboard to warn me that tyre pressure was low. So I decided to pop in and check pressure at the petrol station on the way - to find a completely flat tyre Managed to pump it up enough for me to drive to the nearest garage, where the tyre place was closed I popped into the repair centre next door that was open to ask where the next nearest place was. The men there said that whilst they couldn't replace the tyre for me they would put the spare on for me so I could get to a garage - v kind. When they took the wheel off they had a look and round the puncture, and the man told me he could probably repair it, and that it wouldn't need a new tyre if that worked. He proceeded to pull half a drill bit out of the tyre! A drill bit! .
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    You wont believe what happened to me today....yep, that parellel life thing has happened again!!!

Started driving to work and the car felt odd like it was pulling to one side and then I thought the car sounded different so turned radio down and yup, it was making an odd sound and I realised that I probably had a flat tyre.
    I was on a single carriageway A road so just stopping is not possible so had to drive for over a mile until I could pull in safely, lovely lady pulled in behind me to check I was ok (I had my hazards on for some of it as I didnt dare drive to the speed limit (50mph on that stretch).
    I did have a flat tyre and as I have no clue i called my brother who came out with his work mate and put on the spare.

The cause of the puncture............a screw

I didnt know whether to cry about it or laugh about our parallel lives

So tonight I opted for a brand new tyre rather than a fix as I would worry about other damage plus of course I drove on a deflated tyre for far too long. Luckily only cost 50 but I could have done without it.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No.15 for January
    NSD - /20
    (up to 1/1/19)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 10th Jan 19, 8:22 AM
    • 2,416 Posts
    • 20,253 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Hahaha - this parallel life is quite entertaining and scary at the same time!!

Follow my diary HERE
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 10th Jan 19, 6:45 PM
    • 4,584 Posts
    • 39,823 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Isn't it weird EE, how our lives always seem to mirror each other in some way? I just want to assure everyone that we're not the same person though Can you get on with winning millions on the lottery or something please? I'd like that
    So, I feel a bit better today after a relaxing evening and an early night last night. However, I am still absolutely exhausted - life of a teacher... DS is also exhausted this week, so we left work asap tonight, which means I've been working at home again since I got in - only about an hour and a half but I had to do it, and at least it's done now.
    Plans for tonight are pretty much the same. Finish up on here and relax. I've almost made it through the first week back, but I have a full teaching day to get through tomorrow. I feel guilty not doing anything but I know I need the rest.
    I'm still trying to keep the faith with the little things. I literally have zero cash in the bank for the rest of this month - not a spare penny anywhere, so no extra payments or anything, but I am managing to put a little bit of savings away in the penny fund from what I still have in my purse. I have managed to get an extra hour of tutoring this weekend as well so that's good news, then the week after next the exam season starts again.
    However, I'm starting to use up stuff from the cupboards that has been there for months or maybe even years... I've had a porridge pot from a load that ds wanted then changed his mind about. I've resisted extra shopping trips, takeaway and used a couple of weird food combinations but it's all good.
    The frog list is going down, and whilst I haven't done anything at all today, I'm just about to do 1 thing then stop for the night. If I crochet it will be easy stuff that doesn't require much thought on my part.
    So no actual payment of debt but lots of small steps to reduce costs and spends. I still have 3 weeks until payday and need to keep with the frugality.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Jan 19, 7:10 PM
    • 4,721 Posts
    • 26,202 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Great to hear about all the 'Using up' that's going on in your house atm, CCL. I can't reach the back of our pantry & since mr f (arms like a gibbon) reorganised it, I can't even SEE to the back! There could be all sorts of forgotten nomnoms in there!
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 418 2019 = 55
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 11th Jan 19, 12:26 AM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 7,357 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Well done on the resisting extra shopping trips /takeaways. We're doing weird food combinations too at the moment!
    paydbx2019 #93 461.38/10,100 .
    School trips 916/1269..
    EF 160
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 11th Jan 19, 8:13 AM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 8,408 Thanks
    MeandO
    Sorry I haven't posted for a while CCL, my posting mojo disappeared a little while ago with everything that was going on. I have been reading and silently cheering you on though.

You sounds so much more positive than before Christmas and you are doing so well, taking everything in your stride.
    You must be so proud of your daughter too for helping your neighbour in the way she did.

Using stuff up is great fun - think of it like ready steady cook!

Keep on keeping on xx
    Moving fund: 3650
    mortgage OP's 2018: 1894.35 🏡 2019: 37.21

Emergency Fund: 500
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th Jan 19, 8:51 AM
    • 2,416 Posts
    • 20,253 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    I think you learn a lot about yourself and your capabilities when the chips are down (financially) like they are just now. I'm sure in years gone by, there would be a temptation for a 'cheap' takeaway or a shopping trip. But you're filled to the brim with self confidence and motivation and that will keep you going. When it eventually gets to payday, you can give yourself a huge pat on the back. It's worth the discipline.

Hope you manage to eat a ton of frogs over the weekend too and remember to take some time for you and the kids too.

Follow my diary HERE
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 11th Jan 19, 6:51 PM
    • 4,584 Posts
    • 39,823 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Gawd, I am tired, and so skint it's untrue... But keeping on. 20 days until payday
    Nothing very much to report today. Friday is a very busy teaching day for me so I've been non stop at work. I was awake for a couple of hours during the night for some reason as well - I wasn't stressing or worrying, just felt awake between 2 and 4, so I've been a bit tired and grumpy again today.
    The plan was always to get straight home after work, which I did. Got straight on with clearing a couple of massive frogs and sorting new insurance for the car and the cats. Went through t0pcasback for both, so hopefully that'll make a difference, plus got a large multipet discount with the cats insurance. A very necessary expense unfortunately as naughty tortie the uninsured reminds me every single time I take her uninsured butt to the vets.
    I'm just going to relax in front of the telly for tonight, and probably fall asleep really early. I'm going out tomorrow for afternoon tea. The official paperwork hasn't arrived just yet but I should finally be legally divorced. I'm intending to celebrate that, plus my sister's birthday (money for this has already been put to one side), and as it's an afternoon tea with fizz it should be merry as well. So a good nights sleep is needed tonight.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jan 19, 6:54 PM
    • 61,839 Posts
    • 265,089 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your afternoon tea

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Jan 19, 6:14 PM
    • 4,584 Posts
    • 39,823 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Evening all
    Rules I have in my life that I have broken today:
    1. Do not spend money unnecessarily
    2. Do not drink alcohol during the day
    3. Do not use social media when drunk

I need to write today off and start afresh tomorrow I think.
    However, I have had an amazing day. The paperwork still hasn't come through but I had booked the table for fizzy afternoon tea so it would have been rude not to celebrate. Me, my mam and sister and bestie and a lot of joy and fun. Plus a lot of alcohol and expense. I've had prosecco, prosecco and kirsch, prosecco and almond, gin, espresso martini and afternoon tea which was yummy. I was drunk as a skunk by 3pm and I haven't stopped since, but it'll be worth every penny of my hangover. It's not every day you get divorced is it?
    I don't have anything mse to report but I thought I should check in anyway. However, I must now do the wise thing and put all electronic devices away for the night so I have no regrets in the morning.
    Much love mse
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 12th Jan 19, 7:49 PM
    • 15,502 Posts
    • 52,535 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    CCL I want to LOVE this this update like you do on FB How utterly marvellous and lovely

Now drink some water and have some chips and all will be well

XXXX
    Sealed Pot 12 - 008, 365, 1p a day, 1%, 100 days, Saving to be out of debt!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jan 19, 9:09 PM
    • 61,839 Posts
    • 265,089 Thanks
    beanielou
    What a happy day xx

***Keep plodding***
    • teapot2
    • By teapot2 12th Jan 19, 10:37 PM
    • 1,953 Posts
    • 6,988 Thanks
    teapot2
    Sounds fab, have a gentle day tomorrow
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,127Posts Today

7,224Users online

Martin's Twitter