Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd May 18, 9:50 AM
    • 4,005Posts
    • 34,215Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 3 - A New Beginning
    • 3rd May 18, 9:50 AM
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 3 - A New Beginning 3rd May 18 at 9:50 AM
    Good morning everyone,

I've had a bit of a break from the forums over the past couple of months, but today seems like a good time to come back on here and to start a new diary. An awful lot has changed in my life over the past couple of weeks and it's going to take some time and effort to adjust, and more than ever I need the support and accountability of being on here to keep me on the straight and narrow as far as my finances are concerned.
    I hope that some of my usual bunch have followed me to this diary, and welcome to anyone new that might be reading. I need all of the help and support that I can get...
    October Gobstopper #8 NSD = 11 1 debt vs 100 days £328.51/£1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
Page 17
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 12th Aug 18, 10:32 PM
    • 2,753 Posts
    • 26,427 Thanks
    Fmess
    Hugs ccl, I hope you wake up tomorrow with less aches and that you and bestie have a nice break together.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    • 4,005 Posts
    • 34,215 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady

Morning all
    Sorry I didn't check in yesterday - I was just too tired. I was very stiff and I'm quite a bit of pain when I got up, followed by the drive to Alton Towers. I quickly found out I felt ok if I was either just sitting, or moving about but transitioning between the two was the problem. I still got almost 15000 steps in over the day, although I still didn't brave going on any rides.
    The kids and bestie are enjoying themselves which is good, and I woke up with my hip feeling a lot better this morning. Whether that's the ibuprofen, arnica (thanks Beanie) or staying mobile I don't know. Fingers crossed for the rest of the day - although my wrist and shoulder are still sore.
    Couple of annoying things. YNAB - after making me fall in love with it - said I had not subscribed and stopped me accessing my budget. I had subscribed through iTunes but as it kept saying there was a fault I added card details to 1. Get charged the entire year in 1 go, and 2. Find out that the subscription had also gone from my iTunes account. So, I have now paid twice which I'm not best pleased about at all. I have emailed them and they had better refund quickly and also grovel. Bit peed off because the other annoying thing is that the exam board still haven't paid me so I don't have the money I should have at this time of year. They'd better sort it soon.
    Ugh, what a whinge - I'm meant to be on holiday, enjoying myself and I'm just getting stressed about the little things that I really can't do anything about.
    Last edited by crazy_cat_lady; 15-08-2018 at 8:19 PM.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 14th Aug 18, 12:50 PM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 7,698 Thanks
    MeandO
    Hello crazy_cat_lady, thought I'd pop by and say hello.

Your poor thing, you must be so sore, I hope you feel better soon. What a catalogue of disasters running up to your fall!

Boo to YNAB charging you twice, I do hope they sort it out for you soon. I had a similar problem with a calorie counting app once and, to be fair, it was refunded quite quickly.

I hope you manage to enjoy the rest of your holiday despite the injuries. x
    House repairs: £4320 £2336.62 (£1983.38 saved)
    Mortgage Feb 2015: £102,000 Mortgage now: £74,734.55 2018 mortgage OP's: £1636.81/£1800 Emergency Fund: £300
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Aug 18, 3:16 PM
    • 4,005 Posts
    • 34,215 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady

I have been on The Smiler. I say ‘yay’ because I fit on the seat without any trouble, but jeez I am not smiling - perhaps close to bringing up my lunch...
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 14th Aug 18, 3:29 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 2,926 Thanks
    Chrystal
    You have my every sympathy! When I think how I loved those stomach turning rides when I was young ........ mind you that was many many moons ago and they've got worse since then!
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Aug 18, 8:54 PM
    • 4,005 Posts
    • 34,215 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady

I used to love roller coasters when I was younger Chrystal - clearly I don’t have the stomach for it any more though.
    Survived another day round the park - quick dinner at the pub then home for relaxing and tv -off home tomorrow after a couple of hours in the park doing the last couple of rides the kids want to do.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 14th Aug 18, 9:08 PM
    • 15,308 Posts
    • 51,085 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer

I have been on The Smiler. I say ‘yay’ because I fit on the seat without any trouble, but jeez I am not smiling - perhaps close to bringing up my lunch...
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    I have to be honest and say this made me laugh.

You have my every sympathy! When I think how I loved those stomach turning rides when I was young ........ mind you that was many many moons ago and they've got worse since then!
    Originally posted by Chrystal
    I agree here totally. However I didn't realise this now undeniable fact until I was halfway round a ride called the Saw, closest I have been to having a heart attack I swear! Honestly thought I was going to die!

xxx
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 15th Aug 18, 9:09 AM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 16,957 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    CCL - YNAB from my experience are always really flexible and helpful. There's a little help button and they are usually really quick at getting back in touch.

Hope you all enjoyed the trip.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 15th Aug 18, 9:08 PM
    • 4,005 Posts
    • 34,215 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hello!
    Home again Back on my laptop so I've managed to correct all those horrid errors from my phone.
    Thanks for stopping by MeandO - sorry to read of your latest stress with the house. Hope it all works out.
    Speky - I got a quick email back from YNAB asking me to confirm that my iTunes address and YNAB address were the same, which I did - I haven't heard anything else since. We'll see. I've not updated the budget today and am a bit too tired tonight, so I'll get back on it tomorrow.
    So, we only spent a few hours in the park this morning before heading home. Good job - because I woke up in a right grump this morning. Woke up with my hip, shoulder and wrist more sore than yesterday but not as bad as Monday. Everyone else seemed a bit tired and grumpy as well apart from bestie's son, and my two were on top form for winding each other up. The kids went on Nemesis and Blade, then wanted to go on Rita before we went home. When we got there, the kids got into the 50 minute queue for Rita, and I noticed that Thirteen's queue was only 10 mins so me and bestie went on that while the kids queued for Rita. It was brilliant! Yay again because I fit in the seat, and this time I really enjoyed it. Not a completely wild loop the loop coaster but enough for me
    Then we got on the road and made fairly good time getting home. However, as always, getting home and relaxing are a couple of different things. I had to unpack, put a load of washing in, sort dinner out, hoover through and put the recycling bins out. There was also a large parcel of stuff for the cats - new scratching stuff. I've put the tree up (some like a tree) in the sitting room, and the cardboard scratchers upstairs. Then started going through my post, and what did I find?...

A mortgage offer

I can't be bothered looking through the paperwork tonight, in the same way as I can't be bothered with the budget. Up bright and early tomorrow for it. One thing I am noticing is the importance of sleep - I need more of it so am determined to make the effort to go to bed at a reasonable hour and not stay up late either watching telly, online or crocheting. I am going to get into bed and watch telly for an hour, then sleep. Tomorrow is looking like a lazy day, which is exactly what I need and want.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Aug 18, 9:49 PM
    • 57,332 Posts
    • 234,615 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the mortgage offer.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 15th Aug 18, 10:19 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 8,540 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Woo hoo to getting a mortgage offer (the took their time though didn't they!!!)
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100 May 20/100 June 21/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £1600ish/£2,500
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 16th Aug 18, 6:50 AM
    • 7,787 Posts
    • 58,793 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Hope you got a good night's sleep and the aches and pains start to mend. yay to the mortgage offer!
    NST October Gobstopper #7; NSD 10/18; Ex /21 ; craft 23 (144); remove 6 (653)
    2018 Pay off: £4266; 2
    018 sell £49.10; WLOSW 3/10

Mortgage £18,885 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 16th Aug 18, 7:12 AM
    • 4,481 Posts
    • 26,061 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant

So pleased you got your mortgage offer - you really are on the final countdown

Hope you are not too achey today
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 1 for August
    NSD - 9/15
    (up to 12/8/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th Aug 18, 8:46 AM
    • 4,005 Posts
    • 34,215 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    I'm looking forward to a full day of slobbing today after a busy few days. I didn't sleep particularly well - I was awake a couple of times during the night, cats, needing the loo, worrying etc.
    I've had a look through my mortgage paperwork - I need to ring the solicitor asap. The offer is there for a few months yet but I need to keep that going. It won't be the same solicitor as he is a divorce lawyer, and I need to speak to their conveyancing person to get his name off the deeds and make it ALL mine. More cost, but this will definitely be worth it And only 15 minutes until they open as well.
    Other than that, I need to go through YNAB and update everything on there. Things are looking almost dire - the exam board are delaying paying the big payment for some reason this year. Not nice but it'll be worth it once it arrives.
    I'll check in later
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th Aug 18, 10:00 AM
    • 4,005 Posts
    • 34,215 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Phoned the solicitor and ended up speaking direct to my divorce man. He is going to liaise with his conveyancing colleague as he has been given the mortgage paperwork from the bank. So just a case of more waiting. He did also say in the call that he'd heard from ex a couple of days ago, saying that he agreed in principle to the offer he'd been sent. Doubt it once he sees the value of my pension, but good news so far. Stuff is on the go and is happening.
    Budget also updated. I have £120 in my purse and no wriggle room at all in my account until the exam board cough up. It's not a horrific situation to be in but it's not great either.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Aug 18, 10:08 AM
    • 57,332 Posts
    • 234,615 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope it all gets sorted out soon.
    Take care of you

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 16th Aug 18, 10:51 AM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 7,698 Thanks
    MeandO
    Great news on the mortgage offer! Sounds like things are moving along, forwards is good no matter how slowly xx
    House repairs: £4320 £2336.62 (£1983.38 saved)
    Mortgage Feb 2015: £102,000 Mortgage now: £74,734.55 2018 mortgage OP's: £1636.81/£1800 Emergency Fund: £300
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 16th Aug 18, 4:33 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 5,318 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Fantastic news about the mortgage offer. I'm glad that everything is moving forwards for you.
    paydbx #93 £899.50/£8,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £2994 in Aug 18
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 17th Aug 18, 8:48 AM
    • 4,005 Posts
    • 34,215 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning
    Thanks for your kind wishes about the mortgage - I am just relieved that I got an offer - I was starting to panic with it taking so long.
    I had a very relaxing and quiet day yesterday. It was lovely, and just what I needed after the two Alton Towers trips over the past couple of weeks. I hope I can find the time and money to go again next year because the kids really enjoyed themselves both times - and so did I, even though I barely went on anything (and won't go on anything like the Smiler after this week's experience )
    I only went out in my role as mam's taxi to drop dd at her friend's house for the afternoon, then came straight home. I did a combination of crochet and tv - caught up with my soaps, and with Unforgotten (desperate for Sunday night's finale) and then started watching series 2 of Line of Duty - which is excellent so far. I went through all of my wip's (works in progress) and as there were 4 I decided not to start anything else until I finished those. Some need more work than others so I finished the easiest one yesterday and have picked a slightly more challenging one to work on this morning.
    Today won't be a nsd - I'm going out for afternoon tea with a friend. We worked together a few years ago, and she moved on when she got promoted, and we don't catch up as often as we should. It will be nice to see her again, and so much has changed since I last saw her - for both of us. I expect that there will be lots of good chat, and some excellent afternoon tea - not sure exactly how that will impact on my diet (which is going brilliantly) but I'm going to attempt just to have tea this morning as we're meeting at 1pm - I should be able to manage that.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Aug 18, 1:50 PM
    • 57,332 Posts
    • 234,615 Thanks
    beanielou
    Any news on the exam board money?

Enjoy afternoon tea One of my favourite things.

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,351Posts Today

8,963Users online

Martin's Twitter