Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd May 18, 9:50 AM
    • 3,707Posts
    • 31,763Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 3 - A New Beginning
    • 3rd May 18, 9:50 AM
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 3 - A New Beginning 3rd May 18 at 9:50 AM
    Good morning everyone,

I've had a bit of a break from the forums over the past couple of months, but today seems like a good time to come back on here and to start a new diary. An awful lot has changed in my life over the past couple of weeks and it's going to take some time and effort to adjust, and more than ever I need the support and accountability of being on here to keep me on the straight and narrow as far as my finances are concerned.
    I hope that some of my usual bunch have followed me to this diary, and welcome to anyone new that might be reading. I need all of the help and support that I can get...
    Achievable August NSD #18 3/15 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
Page 16
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 7th Aug 18, 2:49 PM
    • 2,732 Posts
    • 26,201 Thanks
    Fmess
    Hope you have a lovely, well deserved break. I always find a change of scenery helps when you!!!8217;re dealing with a lot at home x x
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 7th Aug 18, 8:42 PM
    • 3,707 Posts
    • 31,763 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hey
    Just a quick check in because, 1. Iím on my phone and 2. Iím utterly knackered and ready to sleep.
    So far so good, but Iím out of practice with general fitness. My upper body is aching from yesterdayís exercise session, and my legs are sore from walking around Alton Towers all day - Iíve done over 16000 steps!
    It was really warm and sunny all day which has also really tired me out as well, plus the long drive so Iím using that as my excuse to go to bed before 9pm... the place weíre staying is amazing - all self contained, lovely hostess and I would definitely come here again - itís amazing.
    More of the same tomorrow - apart from the long drive.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Aug 18, 9:24 PM
    • 56,138 Posts
    • 226,885 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 8th Aug 18, 11:05 AM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 21,972 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Wow, CCL, awesome step count! I'm also having to take my weight in hand again atm. As you know, I lost 6 stones between 2011 & 2013 and dropped from a size 26 to a 16. But since then, instead of losing another stone & a half as I planned, I've just re-gained & re-lost the same 2 stone......until being hit by the realisation that now I'm a funny age, I can't lose weight on the calorie intake I used to! So I've devised my own diet plan & using my Fitbit, I know that if I walk a minimum of 7000 steps each day, I will hit my 2000 a day calorie burn. As I am counting calories religiously, this puts everything (whether success or failure!) very much within my control. I was interested to hear about your trainer. I'm the opposite to you in that respect. I have to be accountable solely to myself as I'm not very good at being told what to do. I loathe formal exercise but I do enjoy going for walks, riding my bike & dancing to CDs.....plus lots of gardening, so I just stick to those. Anyway, I'm wishing you lots of luck with it. Your 16000 stepcount has certainly motivated me for today!
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £264
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 8th Aug 18, 1:05 PM
    • 3,707 Posts
    • 31,763 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    hey
    Just checking in while the kids are on a ride. Iíve just been thinking about how we come here and I donít go on anything - but I really enjoy seeing the kids enjoying themselves and me just sitting and relaxing. Itís a bit cooler and less sunny than yesterday so more pleasant. Iím quite tired and achey though thatís for sure.
    Foxgloves, you must have willpower of steel. I just always cheat myself, which is pointless I know, but Iím far more likely to be good if Iím accountable to someone...
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 8th Aug 18, 1:29 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 21,972 Thanks
    foxgloves
    I try not to think of it as 'will power', Cat. If I was as steely as you suggest, I'd be at my goal weight instead of having spent the last few years gaining & losing the same chunk of flab! I find it helpful to replace the notion of willpower with 'choices'......as in, will this choice help me in what I want to achieve or hinder me? On not so positive days, I remind myself that I am still 4 stones & 9lbs lighter than when I started my big weight loss campaign in 2011. My eating habuts have changed too much now, I think, to pile the whole lot back on, but I do need to get back to the full 6 stones off that I originally lost. I felt so much more flexible & less achey.....but I'm a fair bit older than you (said the old crock, lol).
    Enjoy your hol. Every step counts!
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 10th Aug 18, 2:25 PM
    • 3,707 Posts
    • 31,763 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I'm back!
    And slowly recovering before I do it all again next week. That seemed like such a good idea at the time when I planned it but now feels like it's going to be tough. If only I were slimmer and fitter, but I'm not so I've just got to get on with it and work on the slimmer and fitter thing. I did over 16000 steps on all 3 days we were there Foxgloves and I'm hoping for the same, but with less pain next week. It will be good for my fitness level, even if I haven't gotten up the courage to try and squeeze myself into a roller coaster seat.
    Got home last night about 7.30pm to a few things to do. The bathroom work turned out to be much more difficult than expected, and some pipework has had to be moved, as well as a bit of tiling etc. It's not brilliant but the best that could be done within my budget. I'm going to keep saving, once the debt is sorted, and get the man back to finish things off properly and make my bathroom lovely. At least I have fully functioning bathroom equipment now, and an intact floor. Phew. As a result though there was a fair amount of cleaning up to do (and don't forget I pay a cleaner!) - I had to hoover through, mop through and clean the bathroom. By the time I did that and unpacked it was after 9pm so I decided not to do anything other than have a cuppa and an early night.
    Slept fairly late again this morning, but gave in when one of the cats wouldn't take no for an answer at about 8am. Got the second round of washing on the go and decided to clear out one of my food cupboards while I was on the hunt for tomato puree. I really need to do that more often.
    Then I went to Mr M to fill the car with petrol and get some groceries in for over the weekend and before we go away again next week. Made lunch and I need to make sure that I get a couple more little jobs done this afternoon - the exam board are waiting for me to do some work for them and I'm a bit more motivated to sort it out while the memory of my spendy week is fresh in my mind.
    Last edited by crazy_cat_lady; 10-08-2018 at 2:30 PM.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 10th Aug 18, 3:01 PM
    • 4,206 Posts
    • 21,972 Thanks
    foxgloves
    16000 steps three days running is really good, Cat. You can be proud of yourself for that. Great start to your new fitness campaign x
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Aug 18, 3:20 PM
    • 56,138 Posts
    • 226,885 Thanks
    beanielou
    16000 steps three days running is really good, Cat. You can be proud of yourself for that. Great start to your new fitness campaign x
    Originally posted by foxgloves
    Agree with this

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 11th Aug 18, 8:59 AM
    • 3,707 Posts
    • 31,763 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    Well, I weighed in this morning at the request of my new trainer and am 3.5lbs down. It's a small step but it is a step in the right direction at least. It has motivated me to keep going - although there is still a significant way to go. I'm more pleased than if it had been 3.5lb up that's for sure
    Spent most of yesterday afternoon relaxing, which was a very welcome change from the previous few days. I spent about 4 hours catching up on work that needed to be done for the exam board and I'm all up to date with them, then I settled with my crochet and catch up tv that I'd missed while I was away.
    Today's plans are similar. I'm going to catch up with bestie - I haven't seen her for what feels like ages but is actually only 9 days... We are going to plan our trip away next week to ensure that we get the best value that we can. It will involve researching local facilities to the cottage we're staying in, and meal planning, and hopefully packed lunch planning as well. We'll have a coffee and a good catch up - probably followed by watching a box set on Netflix at hers. I have no work related stuff to think about so can just concentrate on me and the kids - happy days
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 11th Aug 18, 10:07 AM
    • 2,732 Posts
    • 26,201 Thanks
    Fmess
    Well done on the 3.5lbs that!!!8217;s a fantastic loss, especially as you were away too!
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Car and Roof Debt £0/£19033
    DecNST #2 SFD 13/15 Food 105/120 Personal 380/350 Petrol 80.01/80
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Aug 18, 6:42 PM
    • 56,138 Posts
    • 226,885 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great loss

***Keep plodding***
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Aug 18, 7:11 PM
    • 3,707 Posts
    • 31,763 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    You know those times when everything goes wrong, and it's a million little things, just one after the other? That is how the weekend has ended up going...
    It started when ds arranged with his dad that he could come to our house to visit - without my knowing anything about it. DS accidentally let it slip once we were at bestie's house - didn't realise how much the thought of ex coming to the house still stressed me out. Had a good time with bestie, although I wish my confidence was a bit better than it is at the moment. I feel like I've lost myself a little bit - I'm not physically and mentally exhausted any more, but I am back to low self esteem and lacking the confidence to do much.
    I ended up telling ds to rearrange to go to his dad's instead of his dad coming to us. DS decided he wanted to take his bike, and then I took a chunk of paint out of the car trying to get his bike in the back - which started the downward spiral.
    This was followed by my finding a massive mistake in my crochet and having to take almost half of it out. Then having to drive back to ex's place to pick ds up. Then waking up to a massive nosebleed at 2am and not being able to get back to sleep because of it. Then being woken at 5 by cats, then being woken at 8 by next door neighbour stressing because it was raining and the cats were outside.
    Got downstairs and promptly spilt my wax warmer - throwing wax all over the place for me to clean up. Then stood on my dustpan and brush by accident and broke it while I was carrying a massive bag of cat litter, which I spilt. Managed to make breakfast and get to tutoring without too much incident. Got home desperate for the loo and threw my bag on the kitchen table - knocking a glass of juice off, which smashed all over the place. Went to the loo, came downstairs and cleared up and started making dinner. Obviously hadn't cleared as well as I thought as I then slipped (holding a handful of chopped mozzarella) and literally fell flat on my face. As I keep saying, I'm a big girl, and it was a big fall - but I did hang onto my mozzarella... however I have hurt my left foot, bruised my left knee, pulled all sorts of muscles in my right wrist and shoulder and my right hip is agony. It feels like it needs to 'click' but won't and I get a really sharp pain when I move it - although if I don't move I'm ok.
    So I've spent the past 4 hours sitting on the sofa, only moving to go to the toilet - but it's not getting easier. I feel awful - really sore pretty much all over. And I have to get up at 7am tomorrow for Alton Towers round 2. I just hope I can manage it because at the moment I can't walk that well - never mind 16000 steps a day I haven't even packed yet either so I desperately need to get on with that...
    Boo hiss - I feel like utter rubbish at the moment. I could use another day off to try and recover from a pretty traumatic 24 hours. I might feel better if I get on and do something.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 12th Aug 18, 7:58 PM
    • 15,225 Posts
    • 50,586 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Jesus Christ CCL.

That really is one hell of a chain of events! I really don't know what to say. I can't believe the fall OUCH! Can you have a bath? with epsom salts? Might help? and pain killers.

What rotten timing re Alton Towers mark two

Please take it easy! Anything you can do sitting down?
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 12th Aug 18, 8:22 PM
    • 7,552 Posts
    • 56,929 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Do take pain killers, ccl - they'll help with the inflammation. Just a weird idea for your hip - try hanging off a door (maybe put a towel over the top as they can be quite rough) and hang there to stretch out your back?

Hope it all settles overnight x
    NST August Achiever #16; NSD 6/15; Ex 10/20 ; craft 12 (105); remove 1 (593)
    2018 Pay off: £2382; 2
    018 sell £49.10; WLOSW 1/10

Mortgage £20,761 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 12th Aug 18, 8:24 PM
    • 5,148 Posts
    • 40,768 Thanks
    DawnW
    Wow CCL, hope you are ok tomorrow and have a better day!

• juliejim
    • By juliejim 12th Aug 18, 8:26 PM
    • 7,572 Posts
    • 151,547 Thanks
    juliejim
    Are you sure you haven't done anything more serious than just bruising? Hope you're feeling better for tomorrow. If you end up struggling while you are at Alton Towers, it's not too far for me to come and rescue you.
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 12th Aug 18, 8:35 PM
    • 3,707 Posts
    • 31,763 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Thanks everyone - Iím fairly sure thereís nothing broken, but plenty of bruising and sprains. I donít think thereís anything much I can do other than try and remain mobile... Iíve had some ibuprofen and done a couple of very gentle stretches. Havenít tried the bath as I donít fancy my chances of getting in and out. I have packed for tomorrow and put some leftovers in the freezer - I was going to have them for dinner but Iíve lost my appetite a bit. I can get about if Iím slow and very careful - but am keen to get to bed. Iíve taken my hay fever tablets (suspect thatís the cause of my nosebleed) and managed a quick shower. Not much else to do other than rest.
    • juliejim
    • By juliejim 12th Aug 18, 8:37 PM
    • 7,572 Posts
    • 151,547 Thanks
    juliejim
    Oh and congratulations on the weight loss!
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Aug 18, 9:27 PM
    • 56,138 Posts
    • 226,885 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have you got any arnica?
    It will really help with the bruising.
    I swear by it. I have shower gel, cream , tablets.............

You could always get yourself a wee scotter at Alton Towers.
    I love buzzing about on one

***Keep plodding***
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,517Posts Today

8,725Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin