Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 3rd May 18, 9:50 AM
    • 3,892Posts
    • 33,328Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 3 - A New Beginning
    • 3rd May 18, 9:50 AM
    Crazy Cat Lady Chapter 3 - A New Beginning 3rd May 18 at 9:50 AM
    Good morning everyone,

I've had a bit of a break from the forums over the past couple of months, but today seems like a good time to come back on here and to start a new diary. An awful lot has changed in my life over the past couple of weeks and it's going to take some time and effort to adjust, and more than ever I need the support and accountability of being on here to keep me on the straight and narrow as far as my finances are concerned.
    I hope that some of my usual bunch have followed me to this diary, and welcome to anyone new that might be reading. I need all of the help and support that I can get...
    Sunshine September #12 NSD 11 1 debt vs 100 days 262.01/1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
Page 10
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 13th Jul 18, 11:04 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 33,328 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    It is over 6 papers marked, 7 reports written, forms completed and returned. I just need my superior to approve the reports and then I can publish them and that is it
    It has been a very busy couple of months, and today has been no exception. I'm sure once this is over I'll look back and wonder how I juggled marking, work, kids, 5 exam papers and a divorce and didn't have a complete breakdown. Mind you I'm not that far off - if anyone has seen my self esteem then please send it back my way.
    Missed my little Year 7s this afternoon. I had a disclosure from a student during the last lesson of the day and once that happens then that is it. I am absolutely honoured and really humbled that the child felt that they could talk to me, but it is hard stuff to hear, and requires a lot of intense and very immediate action. That's the third one I've had this year, so I must be doing something right to get their trust, but it's hard and it really breaks my heart to be involved in such difficult stuff.
    No time for a spend day at all, so that's good. And not much else to report from here. Ex turned up at the door this evening, completely unannounced and stressing silly about something. I have absolutely no capacity for that so he got just about nothing out of me, and stayed about 20 mins before I sent him on his way. In fairness he went home without any bother - just couldn't be bothered with it today at all.
    Everything just feels like a bit of a struggle at the moment - but only 5 more get ups and then I have big plans to sleep an awful lot. I've been so exhausted I'm starting to feel really dizzy a lot of the time and my hay fever is really playing up. Time for relaxing and reflecting.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 13th Jul 18, 11:38 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 4,966 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    A sincere well done for juggling all of the marking and reports on top of the regular teaching job. Hope you have chance to relax a bit this weekend...the end of term is in sight!
    paydbx #93 804.50/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 2994 in Aug 18
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 14th Jul 18, 12:03 AM
    • 402 Posts
    • 2,603 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Sounds as though you need some (((hugs)))

Hang in there, it will get easier. XX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Jul 18, 8:25 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 33,328 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning all
    I could have quite happily sleep for another week but ds had me up early - making a racket about his Xbox. So I've come downstairs, checked my email and am now wondering what to do for the next couple of hours. I am actually thinking I might nap (already).
    We're going to visit my bestie today for a couple of hours. We've both had a busy and tough week at work, so a couple of hours catching up will do us both good.
    Other than that, I need to tidy the house a bit - it has been neglected. Also need to put a shopping list together for a couple of basics. I don't have much money in the budget for anything else at the moment (blimming divorce).
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Jul 18, 5:10 PM
    • 4,280 Posts
    • 22,543 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Only such a few days left now, CCL, then you can catch up on sleep (blimming X-box permitting!) & get all sorts of thibgs sorted that have been bothering you & frankly you have had zero time for with your huge recent workload.
    Re shopping budget. I don't know if this is helpful or not, but while visiting Wilko's for cat meat (best price locally on the type of Felix our little monster prefers), I've been perusing their household stuff too. I got a stash of roll-on deodorants for 37p each, which was a useful start. Their washing-up liquid was 50p today, their loo bleach 40p & there were lots of other things I thought were good prices. Our Aldi branch is closed for a couple of months for refurb so I think I'll keep popping in to Wilko's when I have household items on my list. I don't usually buy wipes as they're not a very 'green' choice but the pack of lemon ones I got in there for 50p have brought our kitchen units up absolutely like new!
    I think there are good offers to be had but it does take more time to shop around looking for them. I know how short of time you are in term-time, though.
    I think once things settle, you'll have much more idea what your budget will look like & will really be able to plan.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 338
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Jul 18, 7:07 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 33,328 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Hello
    Absolutely shattered today. I've done very little, and I'm too hot and bothered to care much about it. Obviously I'm aware that I've done loads lately and that I need to try and be kind to myself - but life is ticking on. I've gotten a few bits done.
    Got the ok from exam board to publish my reports so I have done that, and am now 100% done. All marks submitted and reports published, just 2 bags of marked papers to return but the marks are submitted online so no big hurry.
    DD went out with her boyfriend today, and me and ds went to besties for a lot of the day. I went into our town on the way to grab doughnuts for the boys and do a little top up shop at L1dl on the way. 17.90, which I hope will last for a few days at least. Foxgloves - I will bear in mind what you said about Wilkos - I don't have one close enough to shop there regularly but there is a huge one in Sunderland I can go to whenever I'm there. The prices sound good enough to make it worthwhile and I'll be there more than once over the 6 weeks. Shame that Mr A is closed at your place - do you never fancy Mr M? There isn't a Waitrose near me at all so I don't know what it's like these days (but I remember it being expensive when I lived down south).
    Had lunch and a catch up at bestie's house, and then came home and caught up with a few housework bits. Put the recycling out, washed dishes, 2 loads of washing and now relaxing in front of the telly for the evening. I have a bit of school marking to do but I'm going to leave that until tomorrow and get on with crochet. A girl at work is going on maternity leave on Friday and I really want to have a blanket done for her before then.
    Still not in the best of places mentally - I'm stressing about lots of little things, and don't feel like I'm up to caring about anything much. I'm bothered about ex turning up unannounced last night and don't want to have that difficult conversation again when things had been going so well. Bothered about my weight and general physical health but can't bring myself to do anything about that. Worried about my financial situation, but don't have a lot of control over that. I will get there, I always do - but I wish my brain would shut up sometimes. Or if it can't shut up I wish it would say lovely motivational and reassuring things to me
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 14th Jul 18, 8:40 PM
    • 2,332 Posts
    • 15,758 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Cat you're doing so well considering all you've been through (not just this year but over the last few) so just keep going, do a bit each day what you can, even if it's just one load of washing or tidy one room, or clean out one drawer. It'll all come together in the end and prioritise some relaxation/down time each day to ensure a balance. Take care. Purps.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jul 18, 8:52 PM
    • 56,818 Posts
    • 231,241 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well done on finishing the mamouth making.
    I think you are an awesome with all your juggling.
    Be proud
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 15th Jul 18, 12:09 PM
    • 430 Posts
    • 4,857 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Flipping eck Cat!! Just read through your entire diary and am amazed at what you've accomplished in the last couple of months. You are a superhero!!
    Just the marking alone would have sent me over the edge (absolutely hate marking!) but to cope with everything else too is superhuman.

Will continue to keep up with you - I'm finishing on Thursday for the summer, when does your torture of the final few weeks end? Can't be long now.
    Enjoy your Sunday - follow my lead and forget the laptop and retire to the garden lounger with a book and some 90s dance music on (headphones in case the neighbours think I'm trying to relive my youth )
    I forgot what a good mood music can put you in - try it ! Xx
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 15th Jul 18, 8:25 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 33,328 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Thank you so much Purps, Beanie and MT. You really don't know how much those kind things mean to me - I really appreciate it. Only 5 more get ups for me MT - I finish Friday lunchtime and it really can't come soon enough. I don't think there's much planned at school this week... the kids have been wild though and I'm just really hoping that we're close enough to the end of term now for them to chill out a little bit.
    Another scorching hot and uncomfortable day - 28 degrees in Sunderland. I have ploughed on with a few little jobs around the house - chipping away a little bit at a time. I've sorted through another huge pile of clothes today, and I've also done 2 loads of washing, dishes and hoovering. Did my tutoring, which covers the cost of my cleaning lady, and also made chips for the first time ever in the Actifry which my mam gave me months ago. Also waiting to set up a new broadband box - ours keeps cutting out and I've had the replacement in for ages but just not bothered with it. But it's unpacked and ready for a bit of cable swapping either the next time it cuts out or once the kids are asleep and there won't be a rebellion of no broadband for 10 minutes.
    Never got round to marking my school tests - I have a free tomorrow so I'm planning to do it then. I don't think that there's a massive amount else to do at school as far as I'm aware. I have spent spare time relaxing in front of a box set with my crochet. It's been nice but I am still shattered and still not sleeping very well so I've needed a few hours of nothing as well today.
    I need to start thinking about my to-do list over the summer. I always plan to get lots done and then end up not doing much. I need to make sure I make a list and tick stuff off it.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 15th Jul 18, 10:49 PM
    • 1,068 Posts
    • 4,966 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Chipping away a little bit at a time is all I can do when juggling work and home. Take one day at a time...

I too, tend to make holiday to do lists and put too much on them to be achievable. I'm hoping to plan some days out and see what I can manage to get done around the planned days out.

Hope you have a good week.
    paydbx #93 804.50/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 2994 in Aug 18
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 16th Jul 18, 8:28 AM
    • 2,053 Posts
    • 16,724 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    I don't know where you find the time for half the stuff you do CCL. I think the forecast is suggesting it'll cool down a bit, hopefully that in turn means we all get a better nights sleep too.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th Jul 18, 2:36 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 33,328 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Afternoon
    Well it's very grey here and it's rained a couple of times but the temperature is still a very uncomfortable 23 degrees and I think it feels like more indoors. I'm really very sleepy but I think that might be the antihistamines (and perhaps the 3 hours and 54 minutes of sleep I got last night).
    Got the broadband box swapped over without too much stress. It's faster and smarter than the last one - the most difficult thing was changing the passwords on all of the equipment in the house that uses it. 4 TV's, laptop, 3 phones, 2 Xboxes and my printer. I'm pretty sure that I'll still have forgotten something but hopefully that will be it for a while,
    Also got my marking done in my free lesson as I'd expected - I'm really pleased because I feel too tired for getting much done. I just want to go home and sleep. The sneaky exam board have added another 5 papers online for me to mark, but I should get that done fairly quickly if I put my mind to it - good job I hadn't gotten round to binning the mark scheme.
    Updated all of my budget on YNAB - it's looking very tight but at least I know where everything is and what it's doing at the moment, or due to do. It's been a bit of an eye opener for me to see everything written down and to notice just how much cash gets frittered here and there. Although I started part way through July after a lot of the big stuff had gone, if I can get to the end of the month without increasing my debt then I will call it a success. Then once the mortgage and divorce is sorted I can look at getting rid of my debt as soon as is humanly possible. Fingers firmly crossed.
    It's raining quite heavily outside now - I really hope that clears the air a bit. Speky - looks as though you were right.
    I have a few days out planned during the hols as well Honeysucklelou - I have to have something to look forward to. This year it's a few days with the kids at Alton Towers followed by a few days in the Lake District. I can't wait.
    I am still crocheting like mad in my spare time so that I can get this baby blanket finished before the summer holidays - but one of the things I really need to do there is make a list of wool I've got and things that I need to make before Christmas.
    Right - I have a couple of naughty kids passing notes - they've already been moved from their own class. I'm off to read what they're saying.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th Jul 18, 2:37 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 33,328 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Nothing even remotely interesting... I thought it would at least be something that I could embarrass them with.

• Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 16th Jul 18, 4:39 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 15,357 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Lake District - One of my favourite places. Just gorgeous. Enjoy.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 16th Jul 18, 6:13 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 33,328 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I definitely will thanks Toni'sfriend We've been there before and it's just gorgeous. A cottage (with Wifi so the kids are happy) in the middle of nowhere, with it's own private hot tub. Happy, happy days Even though it's the last week of the holidays I'm really looking forward to it.
    So, home for the evening - my lovely cleaner has been so there's nothing much needing doing there. We've had dinner, I've had a shower and there's a load of washing on. I have marked my 5 exam papers that were sent, and now just want to relax with a bit of tv and this crochet blanket that is still ongoing.
    I've also crossed another job off the annoying list, which was just to double check that there's definitely no leak in the bath any more. I'm paranoid since we nearly went through the floor, so I took the panel off and had a check - it is fine.
    And added another job to it. To find a particular blanket pattern amongst my hundreds of magazines. I know exactly what it is I want, but where it is - that is a totally different thing altogether. No hurry though - that's why it becomes an 'annoying job' - the baby I want to make it for isn't due until Christmas.
    Right - drink, tv and crochet.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Jul 18, 6:18 PM
    • 56,818 Posts
    • 231,241 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you got through the day & the extra marking.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 17th Jul 18, 5:39 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 33,328 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Wow - I am seriously tired!
    Last night I slobbed in front of the telly, did a bit of crochet, watched the thunderstorm, played with the cats and did a couple more annoying jobs. I have also downloaded a women's workout app to my phone. I completely and utterly despise exercise in all shapes and forms, unless it's walking with a purpose - however, I'm not in a good place physically or mentally at the moment. I was reading another diary on here last night - thanks ABA - and I felt quite inspired by what she had said. So I downloaded this 10 minute workout app for complete beginners and have struggled my way through a 10 minute session both last night and this evening. I'm quite embarrassed - I used to have a personal trainer and be quite fit, but I suppose you have to start somewhere and 10 minutes is better than none. I've survived 2 workouts and made the first step so I need to just keep going. It will get easier.
    Also have noticed that I have exam money due to be paid tomorrow - it's pending in my bank account. I was a little shocked because it looks like quite a bit more than I was expecting, but I suppose that I have worked really hard for it and my payslip will help me to check if I'm anywhere near correct. Every other year I've had the money and frittered it away here and there during the summer. This year I have YNAB so I should be able to see clearly where it's all going. I have plans for it - holidays, debt payments etc. I'm almost excited to budget, and that hasn't been the case for a good few years I think I've been burying my head again a bit. Once I got out of debt almost 3 years ago I budgeted religiously but then things slipped again when I got short of time and I never really got back with it. Ah well. It's a relief more than anything else.
    Difficult day at work today - I had a headache when I got to work, and then I had a busy day planned for me. I had 2 lessons, 2 hours of meetings and a counselling appointment. Well, the issue that happened on Friday has all hit the fan a bit, and some of the kids involved came to see me again today because of further concerns. So I had to call in a favour from my head of department to cover my class while I dealt with that, which left me quite upset again. I like that they trust me, but some of the things I hear really break me... Then I couldn't face teaching at all, so got cover and did a load of background work before my counselling session. The meeting was excellent - I didn't need to put the front on that I'd had to do for the kids, and I was pretty productive so got lots done. Still waiting for my next year timetable though, which is a pain in the bum.
    Counselling was also hard today. I feel like I've hit a wall - I need to take action if I want things to get better instead of just sitting moaning. But I am a bit too tired at this precise moment to do a lot. However, small steps. I've done the workout thing, and I remain a decent human being...
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 17th Jul 18, 6:22 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 2,603 Thanks
    Chrystal
    It all sounds emotionally devastating CCL. I hope, whatever the problems are, that they can be resolved quickly.
    Sending you (((hugs))) and hope you can have a peaceful night. X
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 17th Jul 18, 7:56 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 33,328 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    No slob as yet. I decided to tick another thing off the list, which was to find a particular crochet pattern I was looking for. I ended up sorting through 3 bags of wool and craft stuff I'd shoved in the cupboard to be sorted at 'a later date', and also through the stuff under the coffee table. It's taken a couple of hours but 1. I have sorted out 3 bags and under the table 2. I have sorted out my wool and magazine stash 3. I have loads of stuff I can be getting on with craft wise.
    However - I have put all my magazine 'free gifts' in a separate bag - I haven't worked out how I'll match the kits up with the magazines that have the patterns in. Another challenge.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

1,169Users online

Martin's Twitter