Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kl95
    • By Kl95 2nd May 18, 11:35 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Kl95
    New Shower system recommendations
    • 2nd May 18, 11:35 PM
    New Shower system recommendations 2nd May 18 at 11:35 PM
    We're gutting our entire bathroom and are looking into shower systems to fit - We want a rain shower head and handheld head. Don't really want to spend more than 500 on the shower and was looking into Hansgrohe as we want something of solid quality that will last as long as possible.

Came across the Hansgrohe Crometta E240 thermostatic shower for around 250 quid.
    Does anyone have any experience with this shower and is this something that is worth the money? Other shower system suggestions welcome!

Thanks!
Page 1
    • Furts
    • By Furts 3rd May 18, 9:03 AM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 2,836 Thanks
    Furts
    • 3rd May 18, 9:03 AM
    • 3rd May 18, 9:03 AM
    It depends on your stance on eco values, saving water and all round design and values. In essence these showers are illegal -they cannot be fitted to new homes and this has been the case for a few years. Manufacturers do not want people to know this, but equally the vast majority of consumers have zero interest in such matters. It is because of this apathy that the Government said enough - if people will not be sensible we will start to outlaw these types of products.

For your refurbishment I am assuming you have a competent professional on board to assist with the design and Specification. Which means what I am saying will not be news to you. However for the benefit of a wider audience on the forum there are bound to be some folks who will not be as clued up on this as you are. Hence my comments - do not take them personally, and if that is the shower you want then so be it! For a refurb job you have a free choice - for the moment!
    Last edited by Furts; 03-05-2018 at 9:08 AM.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 3rd May 18, 1:33 PM
    • 3,328 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    • 3rd May 18, 1:33 PM
    • 3rd May 18, 1:33 PM
    .... It is because of this apathy that the Government said enough - if people will not be sensible we will start to outlaw these types of products....
    Originally posted by Furts
    I suppose there is some symmetry in a shower of idiots legislating about showers.

Every Village has its Idiot.

If you don't know who your Village Idiot is

it is probably you.
    • Moss5
    • By Moss5 3rd May 18, 4:06 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Moss5
    • 3rd May 18, 4:06 PM
    • 3rd May 18, 4:06 PM
    flow rate Rain 15 l/min at 3 bar
    operating pressure: min. 1.8 bar/max. 10 bar
    You need to have suitable flow/pressure before specifying a shower.
    • Kl95
    • By Kl95 3rd May 18, 10:13 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kl95
    • 3rd May 18, 10:13 PM
    • 3rd May 18, 10:13 PM
    We have a combi and pressure is normally at 1.5bar...so is this shower not suitable?
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 3rd May 18, 10:19 PM
    • 3,328 Posts
    • 8,673 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    • 3rd May 18, 10:19 PM
    • 3rd May 18, 10:19 PM
    We have a combi and pressure is normally at 1.5bar...so is this shower not suitable?
    Originally posted by Kl95
    Do you mean mains pressure is 1.5 bar or the boiler pressure is 1.5 bar?

I'm not familiar with combi boilers but I do know that 1.5 bar is a normal pressure for many non combi boilers.

Your mains pressure could be higher.

Is there a pressure limiting valve anywhere?

Our house gets a mains pressure of about 3 to 3.5 bar. The mains pressure varies according to demand in the local area etc. We have a pressure limiting valve on the incoming mains set at 3 bar. That gives us a decent direct mains fed shower.

We pressurise our sealed central heating system via a filling loop to 1.5 bar as that is what is required.

If your mains pressure is above 1.8 then that shower unit should be suitable although the flow rate might be a bit low at only 1.8 bar, especially if there is a long pipe run from incoming mains to shower.
    Last edited by Head The Ball; 03-05-2018 at 10:22 PM.
    Every Village has its Idiot.

If you don't know who your Village Idiot is

it is probably you.
    • Kl95
    • By Kl95 3rd May 18, 10:20 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kl95
    • 3rd May 18, 10:20 PM
    • 3rd May 18, 10:20 PM
    It depends on your stance on eco values, saving water and all round design and values. In essence these showers are illegal -they cannot be fitted to new homes and this has been the case for a few years. Manufacturers do not want people to know this, but equally the vast majority of consumers have zero interest in such matters. It is because of this apathy that the Government said enough - if people will not be sensible we will start to outlaw these types of products.

For your refurbishment I am assuming you have a competent professional on board to assist with the design and Specification. Which means what I am saying will not be news to you. However for the benefit of a wider audience on the forum there are bound to be some folks who will not be as clued up on this as you are. Hence my comments - do not take them personally, and if that is the shower you want then so be it! For a refurb job you have a free choice - for the moment!
    Originally posted by Furts
    I was not aware of that, why are they illegal? I just want a good shower tbh not too worried about the eco side of things - want a good quality ahower that will last me at least 10 years
    • Kl95
    • By Kl95 7th May 18, 11:17 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kl95
    • 7th May 18, 11:17 PM
    • 7th May 18, 11:17 PM
    Also does anyone know if the quality of the hansgrohe showers differs across its range in terms of the materials they are made from? I've heard that some heads are plastic and not solid brass?
    • troffasky
    • By troffasky 8th May 18, 12:40 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    troffasky
    • 8th May 18, 12:40 PM
    • 8th May 18, 12:40 PM
    Originally posted by Kl95
    If you're looking at the gauge on the boiler then it's almost certainly telling you the pressure in the heating system, not the incoming mains pressure.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

88Posts Today

1,651Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bbcthehour: "Mental health and debt is a marriage made in hell" @MartinSLewis told the Senedd when people are more vulnerable they're m?

• RT @justindeaville: @MartinSLewis I looked it up when we last went. It's ball speed. And it's about O.3 seconds to cross the court. @Martin?

• Amazing how empty the #Wimbledon court is for the mixed doubles even though there's a Brit playing. The bars outside are rammed though

• Follow Martin