Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • girl_reincarnated
    • By girl_reincarnated 2nd May 18, 10:01 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 6Thanks
    girl_reincarnated
    New Chapter, New Challenges
    • 2nd May 18, 10:01 PM
    New Chapter, New Challenges 2nd May 18 at 10:01 PM
    Hi

Iím not actually new around here. I had a different username and Iíve had a couple of diaries before. I had a bit of a breakdown due to stress. Iím in recovery from that and now trying to get myself back on my feet. I want a fresh start and I donít want to connect it to my old diaries.

Iím a single mum to my DD (age 17). I handed in my notice at work a week and a half ago and finish up on 13th July. Iím signed off work by my GP until 14th May. When I go back I have 9 weeks to go. I am registered with a few recruitment agencies and Iím constantly trawling through job websites. The only good thing about having to give 12 weeks notice is having a bit more time to look for something else. Iíve worked since I left school ďa number ofĒ years ago and have never not had a job but I was advised, for the sake of my mental health, to resign when I did. Honestly, I feel better already.

I canít do a SOA because I donít know what my salary is going to be for the next couple of months. Iíve already exceeded the sick pay at work so chances are, at best, it will be half normal pay and half SSP for May, full pay for June, half pay for July. Thatís if I donít end up signed off again. Iím really lucky because my folks have said theyíll cover any shortfall in my bills until I get another job but I only want to accept that help in worst case scenario.

Because I have been here (MSE) before, I have quite a good grip on my finances. I had gotten quite comfortable the more my salary went up but although I was earning a good salary and I was overpaying my mortgage, I didnít save anything extra. We had a really lovely holiday at the start of last month which blew the savings that I did have. I donít regret it though, I needed that holiday; I donít know what state I would be in if I hadnít taken it.
    Anyway, I have juggled the spreadsheet and pared it back to the bare minimums once again. I have an interest only mortgage which I have made extra payments to over the past couple of years so thatís sitting at just over £88k where it will stay for a few months now. I have a personal loan which I took out for home improvements, of which there is approximately £1,500 left to pay. Iím hoping to have that paid off by December and Iím including the monthly payment in my monthly bills. I have no other debts.

I really need to get back into meal planning. DD is at college but she also works part time and usually her shifts are in the evenings. She gets fed at work so I only have to worry about my own meals on the days she works. I used to meal plan really well and had a brilliant routine. The harder I worked though, the more money I earned then the more hours I did and the less I was at home so cooking and proper meals just went out the window. I spent far too much money on food that was easy and quick to cook. The routine upped and left, and toast for two meals a day crept in. I really enjoy cooking but there just wasnít time and as my mental health deteriorated I just didnít want to cook. Being off sick, I have been able to start falling in love with food again. Food TV channels are my favourite once more. I look forward to my lunchtime date with Jamie and a coffee with Ree Drummond. Iím getting up in the morning and making breakfast that is more than just hot bread. DD is going out of the door with a smile on her face, even when all Iíve done is made her a cup of tea! She is delighted to have her mum back again. Oops, rambling.

So, meal planning needs to come back. Iíll find out DDís shifts and then start planning around them. I use some of Jack Monroeís recipes, Iím quite good at taking more expensive recipes and making them cheaper and I also have a few ideas that I like trying out so Iím confident that Iíll manage once I get the routine back in place. I have allowed quite a generous groceries budget (£200 per month to include cleaning and personal products, oh and we have a cat). I have an account on my online banking which was unused so I have started putting odds in there to round down accounts and when I get maintenance of usually about £6 per month (thatís not a typo) Iíve started putting that in there too. Itís like a mini emergency fund. £37 so far.

Iím going to try to check in here for 5 minutes each day just to update. Itís just so that I publicly answer to myself. It helped me before so hopefully it will again. Once I have found a new job and know what my salary will be I might put up a SOA but Iíve already got rid of all extras apart from getting my hair done every 10 weeks by a local hairdresser who is great and not expensive.

Iíve been at rockbottom before and this is nowhere near that. This is just a hiccup which I will get through
Page 1
    • adaptimproviseandovercome
    • By adaptimproviseandovercome 3rd May 18, 1:07 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    adaptimproviseandovercome
    • 3rd May 18, 1:07 AM
    • 3rd May 18, 1:07 AM
    Good Luck :-)
    • ToTheBatcave
    • By ToTheBatcave 3rd May 18, 9:51 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    ToTheBatcave
    • 3rd May 18, 9:51 AM
    • 3rd May 18, 9:51 AM
    Hello! It seems like you have a very good grasp of the situation. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your job search and future plans.
    • girl_reincarnated
    • By girl_reincarnated 3rd May 18, 2:49 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    girl_reincarnated
    • 3rd May 18, 2:49 PM
    • 3rd May 18, 2:49 PM
    Thank you both very much. I have good days and bad days but I know where I want to be, itís just a case of getting there.

Cleared out the fridge this morning. I didnít bin much but it is tidier and I can see what we have and what is needed. Dropped DD off at college (sheís learning to drive so she drives there, I bring the car back) and went to the supermarket on the way home. I found out DDís shifts from today to next Saturday so Iíve meal planned to next Tuesday and bought what I need. Iíll go for another shop on Wednesday next week. I donít want to plan too far in advance as if I have a bad day I might screw up

Meeting a friend later for a quick coffee before I go back for DD. It is accounted for in the budget. One of the GPís orders was ďget out and see your friends moreĒ so I have been really trying to. Canít be expensive but we do things like have meals at each otherís houses, and theyíre amazing (the friends and the food).

Rounded down the account after the shopping today and the emergency fund now has £40 Amazing how quickly that is building up. I usually buy everything on credit card for the points and pay it off every month but at the moment I want complete transparency over what Iím doing financially instead of just whipping out the card and not thinking about it so cash (or debit card when I forget to go to the cashline) only, for now.

Iím off to pad out the meal plan
    Last edited by girl_reincarnated; 03-05-2018 at 2:55 PM. Reason: Whatís with all the numbers for quotation marks?
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd May 18, 4:47 PM
    • 53,900 Posts
    • 213,166 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 3rd May 18, 4:47 PM
    • 3rd May 18, 4:47 PM
    Happy shiny new diary
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • girl_reincarnated
    • By girl_reincarnated 4th May 18, 5:04 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    girl_reincarnated
    • 4th May 18, 5:04 PM
    • 4th May 18, 5:04 PM
    Thank you Lou

Met my mum in town today. We had a free coffee at the Virgin Lounge then went for lunch. Not very money saving but she paid for most of it, I just paid a donation (much as she protested, my lovely mum). Itís great to be out and about though. I had the flu recently and spent three weeks housebound because I was so ill. Who knew the flu could do that?! Iím over it now but I still get tired really easily and I donít have much strength. I lost 1.5st. Not a diet I would recommend.

I have leftovers from last night for tea tonight and I also want to make some soup with ingredients I have in. I can freeze it when itís made. It will be thick and there will be lots so really, a meal in itself with some bread. That will do me a couple of meals next week.

I have a pork shoulder in the slow cooker - £2.75 for a decent sized piece - which I will slice up and freeze for more meals. DD is vegetarian so itís all for me!

DD is working tonight so I only need to worry about me. Better make that soup now though or Iíll end up snoozing and it will be too late.
    • girl_reincarnated
    • By girl_reincarnated 5th May 18, 6:31 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    girl_reincarnated
    • 5th May 18, 6:31 PM
    • 5th May 18, 6:31 PM
    Nice day today. The sun was shining pretty much all day. Went with my mum on the bus to a local seaside town and we had coffee, lunch and ice cream. My mum is so lovely and is doing everything she can to make sure I get out every day. We shared the lunch between us so that it wasnít too expensive. It was just enough for both of us as the milky coffeeís had filled us up and we both wanted an ice cream haha.

Iím off to one of my friendsí houses tonight and weíre having a takeaway. Itís between 4 of us so it wonít cost too much and Iím utilising the bus day ticket that I bought so no taxi fare required tonight.

I got 6.5 portions of soup from the stuff I had in the house so thatís great and itís really yummy. I made it veggie so that DD can eat it too. Iím really pleased. I got 6 portions of pork from the shoulder but it was so good I ate two of them when they were cooling!! The other 4 are in the freezer.
    Last edited by girl_reincarnated; 05-05-2018 at 6:34 PM.
    • girl_reincarnated
    • By girl_reincarnated 6th May 18, 1:58 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    girl_reincarnated
    • 6th May 18, 1:58 PM
    • 6th May 18, 1:58 PM
    We had a lovely time at my friendís last night. I owed her £2 and we split the takeaway cost between 4 of us which was £8 each so I only parted with £10 in total. Used the bus ticket to get home too so no other spends.

Quiet Sunday today. Had one of the homemade soups out the freezer for lunch and Iím going to the folksí for tea later so no spends today. DD is working until 9pm so Iíll pick her up then and she can drive home.

Applied for another job today. This seems to be my Sunday routine at the moment. Any excuse to not do housework!
    • girl_reincarnated
    • By girl_reincarnated 7th May 18, 8:56 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    girl_reincarnated
    • 7th May 18, 8:56 PM
    • 7th May 18, 8:56 PM
    Lovely sunny day today. DD wasnít at college because of the bank holiday so we went for a wee drive with my folks for the day. I spent a grand total of £4 on drinks for us. Home in time for tea which was a Jack Monroe risotto.

Think Iíll have an early night, Iím wiped out!
    • girl_reincarnated
    • By girl_reincarnated 8th May 18, 10:11 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    girl_reincarnated
    Spent the morning doing some cleaning in the house. Went out for a drive with DD this afternoon. It was nearly a NSD until I realised that the breakdown cover on the car had lapsed. The car is quite old and I donít want to risk breaking down somewhere without it. Iíve had to call them out once before. £39 but I get £20 back in the form of a voucher that can be used towards shampoo and other such products.

I have a meeting with a recruitment agent tomorrow so that will be another one on the list.

Iíll need to go to the supermarket tomorrow as weíre running out of breakfast items. I probably wonít have to do a full shop as I think there is enough food for three more evening meals. Iíll do a new meal plan in the morning.
    • girl_reincarnated
    • By girl_reincarnated 9th May 18, 7:20 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    girl_reincarnated
    Had the meeting with the recruitment agent today. She doesnít have anything suitable at the moment but at least she now has my details.

Iíve been working on a meal plan for the next week so Iíve got a few bits to pick up tomorrow. I popped in for breakfast stuff today so thatís sorted for now.

Iíve requested a note of my balance from the loan provider so that I know exactly how much I have left to pay.

Going to pick up DD from work shortly which is slightly annoying because Iím in and cozy. Oh well, sheíll hopefully pass her test soon and can drive herself there and back!
    • girl_reincarnated
    • By girl_reincarnated 10th May 18, 10:15 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    girl_reincarnated
    I went a bit over budget for groceries today. I had to buy air tight containers for flour. I got weevils in the last lot (disgusted, so I was) and I use flour quite a lot so it was a need. Luckily, because Iíve been off work for a bit, I had put aside my bus fare money so Iíve covered it with that. Hopefully I wonít get those horrible little pests again ~shudder~ (please no one tell me that I can still get them, Iíd rather be blissfully unaware).

Starting to prepare for going back to work next week. Not looking forward to it but needs must. I just need to be well prepared for all meals, get my head down for the next 9 weeks and work my notice quietly.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th May 18, 10:20 PM
    • 3,005 Posts
    • 14,700 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I store grains in glass jars in the fridge, but then I have a big fridge...
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • girl_reincarnated
    • By girl_reincarnated 11th May 18, 11:03 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    girl_reincarnated
    I never thought about putting flour in the fridge. My fridge is average size, itís not big but not small. The boxes I have bought are too big to fit in it though so Iíll just have to go with what I have for now but itís something I will consider when I have my dream fridge, which will be when I have my dream house as a big fridge wouldnít fit in my pokey wee flat. Thank you.

I got maintenance this month, thank goodness. Donít know how I would cope without the £4.50 I got this time around I have discussed with DD what we should use this for and have agreed that it will go in the spare account so thatís £44.61 weíve got in there now.

I am currently changing energy suppliers and they requested a meter reading this morning so I have sent that off to them. Iím a wee bit confused though as they had set up the direct debit to come off on 15th of the month so I tried to change that to 1st as that suits me better but the message said that they will still take the amount due as it takes 5 working days for changes to go through but then when I completed it, it said the next payment is due on 1st June. I have borrowed from an account that I save my insurance payments in and put it into my current account just in case they do take it and Iíll keep an eye on it. I can move it back once it is sorted out.

Planning a Jack Monroe lasagne for tea tomorrow night so Iím going to prepare and assemble it today then put it in the fridge ready to cook tomorrow night. Iíve taken homemade soup out of the freezer for lunch today and homemade cheesy cauliflower and broccoli bake out for my tea tonight. DD is going to work straight from college so itís only me today and tonight until I pick her up at 9pm. At least sheíll be fed and if she is hungry sheíll have a bowl of cereal or something light.
    I have a small gammon joint in the slow cooker at the moment which I will slice up tonight when itís cooked. Iíll freeze the slices and I will use them for sandwiches. Last time I did it I had LOADS even though Iím not that good at slicing thinly. I would really love a meat slicer but thatís a luxury I just canít afford at the moment. Good old fork and sharp knife will do for now.

Iím so happy about all of my homemade stuff. I used to do a lot of that before I started the job I do now. Forgot how much I enjoy cooking. Hopefully Iíll manage to get a part time job so I can get some work/life balance back instead of work/work balance as it has been for the past year.

Iím off to start getting the lasagne ready
    • girl_reincarnated
    • By girl_reincarnated 12th May 18, 9:57 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    girl_reincarnated
    Lovely day today. Met up with my mum and sis. We just went to my sisterís house and sat in the garden while my niece ran around and played (sheís 2). DD was working but she finished at 4pm so my dad and her drove to my sisís and brought the lasagne from the fridge which we all had for tea. It was delish! No spend today

Nothing happening on the money front. Iím still waiting to hear from the lender with my outstanding loan balance. I had some of the funds left over when I completed the home improvements so I paid it back to them and they said they would send out a note of the balance. Iíll call them on Monday to see if I can get it verbally.
    • girl_reincarnated
    • By girl_reincarnated 14th May 18, 8:23 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    girl_reincarnated
    Back to work today ~groan~
    It wasnít too bad today but probably because I know Iím leaving soon. Iím getting all the jobs I hate but Iím just going to put up with it. I feel stressed already though. Found out today that a girl who works in my department and was equally as miserable as me handed her notice in on the same day as me! Pure coincidence but itís nice to have a friend.

I had breakfast before leaving the house and I made up lunch and took it with me. It was nearly a NSD until I had a sudden craving for chocolate. I donít have a sweet tooth so I wasnít expecting it but Iím struggling to put weight on so when these things come along I have to take them! Please donít anyone say Iím lucky about the weight thing. Iíd happily swap you your weight for my bad health. Anyway that was 80p gone and I didnít even enjoy it.

Iím going to have a wee read of a book then head for an early night. DD is working and she finishes at 11pm so my folks (who are always out and about on a Monday night so theyíre not going out of their way) are very kindly going to collect her so that I can get to bed. This is how it will be for the next 9 weeks.
    • girl_reincarnated
    • By girl_reincarnated 16th May 18, 8:34 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    girl_reincarnated
    NSD today.

I had toast for breakfast (yes, back to the toast), gammon and tomato sandwich for lunch (gammon cooked in slow cooker and frozen last week) and a pasta dish that DD made for us tonight so still managing to eat reasonably.

I called the bank for my loan balance since theyíve not sent it out like they said they would. I have £1,312.98 left to pay. I hope to have that gone before Christmas.

Had a discussion with HR at work and I now know what my final wage will be for July. I already know what it will be for June so just this month that I donít know what Iíll get. Iím being really careful with money at the moment so I should have enough to the end of August without having to borrow from my mum.

Iím laughing at work now. All the stupid, petty stuff is still going on and Iím just saying yeah whatever. Doesnít bother me anymore. Iím still standing up for my team though, they are always put down and they work so very hard. I am making sure I fight their corner still and I will do until 5pm on 13th July when the system logs me out.
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 17th May 18, 9:15 AM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 6,452 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Hi there, just stopping by to wish you well. Sorry you've been through such a hard time but sounds like you're on the up!
    CC1: £4601.14/ £5031.14 (10% paid off, £480) | CC2:£3407/ £3807 (12% paid off, £450) | Loan: £10,788.72/ £15,000((28% paid off, £4211.28))

July debt total: £23,838.14 | New debt total: £18,796.86 | Total debt paid: £5,141.28 (22%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,098Posts Today

5,864Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin